It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It was no wonder that many would class the 80's to the 90's as the golden age of RPG's and that's before the love of the first person dungeon crawler came to fruition. So now as a complete shock and amazement to many of us, Stirring Dragon Games has launched their Kickstarter on C64 and PC for ' Uknown Realm '; a brand new RPG that not only looks amazing but takes us back to the golden age of RPG's.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/12/unknown-realm-this-rpg-via-kickstarter.html
Attachments:
uknown1.png (17 Kb)
uknown12.png (296 Kb)
Wait... a game for the C-64? Developed in our age? Weird!!!
Maxvorstadt: Wait... a game for the C-64? Developed in our age? Weird!!!
I know what you mean but a lot of those old systems actually have active retro/homebrew scenes. Check out C64 games like Soulless, for instance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2H7GrZNRcA), or His Dark Majesty for the Atari 800 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2hH3oUP80)..
It looks charming!

Started CRPGs on the good old c64, so this tugs on the nostalgia strings :)
Looks interesting, but one thing (under "modern sensibilities" that bothers me and IMO shouldn't be in a game of this style:

Event-triggered cutscenes help set the pace of the story and move it forward.
Also, no mention of whether the PC version is for all PCs or just if it's DRM-encumbered.

Furthermore, no mention on whether you can choose the main character's gender. If it's locked to male, that actually is a dealbreaker for me.

Also, no mention of a Linux version, so if it doesn't run under WINE, it's not an option for me.
Nope, I don't get it either. There's a reason why I don't play such games anymore: they're just too damn simple in most respects, particularly where gameplay is concerned. I need something more engaging.
mistermumbles: Nope, I don't get it either. There's a reason why I don't play such games anymore: they're just too damn simple in most respects, particularly where gameplay is concerned. I need something more engaging.
Actually, I find that having the game be simpler actually makes it *more* annoying, as it often means not having to worry about micromanagement of things like food, allowing the game to focus more on things like combat.

Lots of complexity can ruin a game by making it less accessible and making it take more work to be fun.

This sort of thing is part of the reason I actually *like* the NES version of Ultima 4.
andysheets1975: I know what you mean but a lot of those old systems actually have active retro/homebrew scenes. Check out C64 games like Soulless, for instance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2H7GrZNRcA), or His Dark Majesty for the Atari 800 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E2hH3oUP80)..
Or Newcomer, also for the C64.
These are obviously nostalgic C-64 geeks making the niche game they would love to play themselves, not devs trying to find out what other people would prefer to play today. That's why they're indie, why they're still developing for C-64 and why they have to rely on funding from Kickstarter. Makes perfect sense to me.

I don't know whether I would buy and play it myself, but it looks like a cute project from a likable dev team.
Post edited December 16, 2016 by Leroux
Leroux: These are obviously nostalgic C-64 geeks making the niche game they would love to play themselves, not devs trying to find out what other people would prefer to play today. That's why they're indie, why they're still developing for C-64 and why they have to rely on funding from Kickstarter. Makes perfect sense to me.
Well, yes. I doubt very much we'll be seeing any new AAA titles from EA or Ubisoft for the C64 ;-)
Developed for the PC as well not just the C64, don't forget ;)
I like to play C64 games on my Nintendo DS with an emulator. I spent some fun time playing Speedball 2 like that recently. If the text is not to small to be displayed on NDS screen then this new game would be my new game to play in the subway. :-)
high rated
dtgreene: Looks interesting, but one thing (under "modern sensibilities" that bothers me and IMO shouldn't be in a game of this style:

Event-triggered cutscenes help set the pace of the story and move it forward.
dtgreene: Also, no mention of whether the PC version is for all PCs or just if it's DRM-encumbered.

Furthermore, no mention on whether you can choose the main character's gender. If it's locked to male, that actually is a dealbreaker for me.

Also, no mention of a Linux version, so if it doesn't run under WINE, it's not an option for me.
Hi there, I'm the female half of the team at Stirring Dragon Games (we're the ones making Unknown Realm). We're going to be posting a lot more about the game in the coming weeks, but I did want to tell you that the main character's gender is not locked to male. We plan to do an update about our character creation sheet down the line.

People who back for the collector's edition(PC) will get a DRM free copy of the game. There's a bit more in the comments on the project and we'll be adding more about that as the project progresses. We are still making some decisions regarding digital distribution (we would love to be on GOGl). But it is likely there will be a DRM free version of the game one way or another. But first things first - we have to have a successful campaign. :-)

As for Linux...our PC platform should work with Wine, although we haven't tested it yet, so don't quote me on that. We honestly weren't expecting a lot of demand for a Linux version...every version (/Mac etc) has to be built from scratch and with a small team (just the two of us) we have to be careful not to spread ourselves too thin.

Thanks for your interest!

I will try to pop in here and respond to questions periodically - but we've been super busy responding on a lot of fronts so forgive me if there are long delays in response.
Okay, I just created a wishlist entry, so you can vote for this game.
Wishlist entry for Unknown Realm
They want to hit North Korean market because they've noticed how noone sells videogames there yet.