It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Themken: There are alternatives like Vulkan, even if you do not do a Linux version. I understand a Linux version must look feasible on paper in some way, like if you expect a loss of five thousand, you must deem the goodwill value of that equal or greater than that.
Magmarock: Yes but only the developed know whether or not Vulkan should be used. You might prefer Vulkan because it’s not exclusive but there might be other reasons to use it. Maybe it doesn’t play nice with the engine or doesn’t get the framerates they want. The games must look it's best and play it's best on lauch to optain the heighest chance of success.
That's a really funny statement in the era of 40+ GB Day1 patches for games, no matter the platform the game is released on. PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox1.
Magmarock: Yes but only the developed know whether or not Vulkan should be used. You might prefer Vulkan because it’s not exclusive but there might be other reasons to use it. Maybe it doesn’t play nice with the engine or doesn’t get the framerates they want. The games must look it's best and play it's best on lauch to optain the heighest chance of success.
morrowslant: That's a really funny statement in the era of 40+ GB Day1 patches for games, no matter the platform the game is released on. PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox1.
Why do you think day one patches are an argument AGAINST them wanting the game to perform its best day one?
morrowslant: That's a really funny statement in the era of 40+ GB Day1 patches for games, no matter the platform the game is released on. PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox1.
Well you know... expect for that. :9
StingingVelvet: Why do you think day one patches are an argument AGAINST them wanting the game to perform its best day one?
That's a good question why didn't I think of that.
Post edited July 08, 2018 by Magmarock
Heh, Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux would be a dream come true, and a day 1 purchase for full price for me.

So here's this thing about dreams...
DrYaboll: Heh, Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux would be a dream come true, and a day 1 purchase for full price for me.
First we need to make CDPR interested in releasing for Linux again, and to reverse their negative attitude that cancelled TW3 for Linux.
DrYaboll: Heh, Cyberpunk 2077 for Linux would be a dream come true, and a day 1 purchase for full price for me.
shmerl: First we need to make CDPR interested in releasing for Linux again, and to reverse their negative attitude that cancelled TW3 for Linux.
Lets send them big apology letter signed by community members, box of chocolate and Feral's business card.
shmerl: First we need to make CDPR interested in releasing for Linux again, and to reverse their negative attitude that cancelled TW3 for Linux.
I think that with the improvements they made to the Witcher 2, and just both the Linux platform, expectations, and other things have both evolved and changed.

I think that the Linux community would not be so negative about the Witcher 3 on Linux even if it launched in a bad state.

I don't think we'll be able to convince the guys that we've all changed, or that we really want it, I mean, I believe they support Linux on a considerable loss, and I don't think they'll start supporting it if we sign petitions, and send them lots of cookies..

It has to be genuine from them, and I'm not saying its all on them, its for us to show our love and support, but I'm saying, getting something back from the love and support we give them, is unlikely after we spat on their face, and cake during their birthday party.
Gengear: I believe they support Linux on a considerable loss
No, TW2 for Linux was profitable for them and they mentioned it as success in their shareholders report. So I doubt it's some financial reason that caused TW3 cancellation.
Gengear: I believe they support Linux on a considerable loss
shmerl: No, TW2 for Linux was profitable for them and they mentioned it as success in their shareholders report. So I doubt it's some financial reason that caused TW3 cancellation.
Thank you for informing me of this, I know that financial wasn't the reason TW3 was cancelled, but if TW2 for Linux wasn't profitable, than they would have less incentives to port over TW3
Gengear: Thank you for informing me of this, I know that financial wasn't the reason TW3 was cancelled, but if TW2 for Linux wasn't profitable, than they would have less incentives to port over TW3
We don't have clear info, since CDPR are avoiding explaining the reason, but most likely cause is some change in their management which was making that decision, potentially combined with creeping technical difficulties of the port at that time. I suspect if they would have started making such port today, they would have successfully finished it already.
Gengear: Thank you for informing me of this, I know that financial wasn't the reason TW3 was cancelled, but if TW2 for Linux wasn't profitable, than they would have less incentives to port over TW3
shmerl: We don't have clear info, since CDPR are avoiding explaining the reason, but most likely cause is some change in their management which was making that decision, potentially combined with creeping technical difficulties of the port at that time. I suspect if they would have started making such port today, they would have successfully finished it already.
It‘s funny how things work (not only for cdpr). If they are promoting a new game, they are all over the place, but answers to somewhat critical questions ... there is no one to be seen.
I'm quite certain that, ultimately, it is a matter of profitability that keeps The Witcher 3 as a Windows only title. Maybe they botched the game at the end and barely managed to get it running. That way they have no reason to touch that code again, afraid of breaking it. Or they are not interest of redirecting their programming team for that task.

The bottom line is that they believe that the money they would make with Linux (and Mac) sales will not make it worth the investment on that title. Perhaps it could still be profitable, but their current course, on their minds, is more lucrative. How can we argue with that?

Sure, I'm with you. I would love seeing The Witcher 3 on Linux. But the bottom line is that it is CDPR's choice, and I think it is made already.
I keep on seeing this thread pop up. I wonder is it because the userbase of Linux on this site or in general in the gaming community is so low that they said F it in the Witcher 3 version on Linux? was always thinking this one. I would love to see more of these big games hit Linux and maybe that will just get to switch over soon.
Gede: The bottom line is that they believe that the money they would make with Linux (and Mac) sales will not make it worth the investment on that title.
Nothing stops them from crowdfunding such effort, if money is the issue. I assume it's not about the money really.
shmerl: We don't have clear info, since CDPR are avoiding explaining the reason, but most likely cause is some change in their management which was making that decision, potentially combined with creeping technical difficulties of the port at that time. I suspect if they would have started making such port today, they would have successfully finished it already.
john_hatcher: It‘s funny how things work (not only for cdpr). If they are promoting a new game, they are all over the place, but answers to somewhat critical questions ... there is no one to be seen.
Politicians and romantic relationship partners seem to be like that, too. The idea is to let the prospective buyer/voter/investor/boyfriend/girlfriend invent their own dreams about something and then only deliver on precisely what they say, but never on the imagination that they promote. If you call them out later, they say "I didn't actually promise that," but they totally lead you on the whole way. Honestly, it's our fault for falling for it, but it's really important to point out and catch.