It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Magmarock: I have two computers and my main gaming rig is air gaped. That means permanently isolated and offline. This is to keep it fast and reliable. I've had no problem keep it updated. It's a bit of a hassle but again streamlined compared to Linux. You can install KB commutative updates yourself or use tools like WSUS offline updater or even run a batch script.

Funnily enough this is to do with topic. I'm trying to tell you why Wticher 3 won't come to Linux any time soon but it sink it
Streamlined compared to what?

Windows:
(Provided you have already set up the necessary application to download updates to the applications you use on the online machine)
* Download update files to a USB stick/HDD
* Move the storage to the offline machine
* Install updates (probably one by one - but that, as you say, can likely be automated)

Debian-based distro:
(Provided you have already set up the offline machine to use a local repository, and set up the online machine to mirror the bits you want)
* Clone the repository to a USB stick/HDD (one command: debmirror)
* Move the storage to the offline machine
* Run the relevant system update mechanism (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade, or GUI tools, or whatever you like)

Seems very similar to me.

At work last week, I set up a couple of virtual machines in order to play around with PXE, netbooting, and unattended installations, one (let's call it "1") is connected to the outside as well as to an internal network that's only among the VM's, the other VM ("2") is only connected to the internal network, and does not have access to the internet or the rest of our work network at all.

Machine 2 was installed and updated only from 1's mirror, and aside from my main networking interests, the setup of the mirror was very simple (there's the initial download, but that's no work, just a wait for the command to finish). When the config file is set up (which obviously needs doing just once) so that the application knows where to fetch from, to, and what to grab, it's a single short command. The client doesn't care whether the repository is on a server or on a local disk, as long as it's set up correctly (which, again, is set-and-forget).

I've since started messing around with cloning the FreeBSD repo as well, and offer that as an install choice, but I'm not quite there yet.
Post edited February 06, 2018 by Maighstir
I hope CDP is working hard on a vulkan port of the RedEngine to make Win-Linux-Crossplattforming more viable and be able to achieve higher performance at the same time. Of course, all Witchers would then have to be ported to the new version---which should be quite easy for Part II and III, but hard work for Part I. Anyways, I think it would be worth it, espacially cause it make it possible to bring all witchers to the current gen and next gen consoles. That should result in massive income...
Magmarock: Because Wine 1.6 is still currently the latest version in the default Ubuntu repos
What version of Ubuntu are you using?

According to https://packages.ubuntu.com wine-stable is version 2.0.2 and wine-development is 2.18.

Both are a little dated, but certainly newer than 1.6.

Of course, using wine 3.0 is as simple as using wine's official repository.

As an Arch user I don't have that problem at all - Arch is already using wine 3.0.
RadonGOG: Of course, all Witchers would then have to be ported to the new version---which should be quite easy for Part II and III, but hard work for Part I
Porting an engine to new graphics API is never easy. Doable with enough dedication, but not easy at all.
Post edited February 06, 2018 by shmerl
Regarding Witcher 2, the current Linux version is very very playable. I play it regularly on my Core 2 Q6600 / 4GB Ram / GT 1030 system (Medium Settings @ 720p).
adamhm: It's much more complicated than you make it out to be. Advertising alone wouldn't be enough, even having it work flawlessly wouldn't be enough, because the truth is that people are resistant to change and generally avoid it unless they are forced to - especially when it involves changing to something that's unfamiliar.
Well then the solution is staring you in the face. Make Linux more like Windows. Set it up so root drive is called C: and the home drive in called users. Also set it up so programs install traditionally with all the dependencies they need. I’m serious I’d be willing to use it.

adamhm: GamingOnLinux did/do a series about sales statistics from various developers: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/linux-game-sales-statistics-from-multiple-developers-part-5.10064 (includes links to earlier parts too)

In terms of actual sales, Linux tends to consistently get around 2%, with Mac around 4% and the rest being on Windows, although there are outliers in either direction (one developer even reported 11% of sales on Linux: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/an-interview-with-the-developer-of-space-sim-helium-rain-who-says-linux-gaming-is-alive-and-well.10982 )
I did ask for links from non Linux websites, nonetheless those are still embarrassing low numbers.

Magmarock: If you say something along the lines of “it’s really easy to use” and then follow it up with “if you know what you’re doing” then you’ve contracted yourself. Nonetheless I have a small challenge for you.
adamhm: I never said that; read it more carefully. I said: "You can typically achieve better results with PlayOnLinux (and an appropriate Wine version) or by using Wine directly, but you need to know what you're doing...".
My bad, I was in error. But you’ll still need to fix that ease of use if you want more people to use Linux

adamhm: Wine 1.6 is ancient and is missing many features, including some very important features for gaming performance such as CSMT. Also FEAR runs great in Wine; I already made a standalone Wine wrapper for it some time ago: https://www.gog.com/forum/fear_series/fear_fear_2_for_linux
Well done looks like you worked really hard on that. Wine 1.6 is still the main version used in Ubuntu LTS. I just check, I had to restarted it because the software centre kept freezing -.-

adamhm: If it was done properly you shouldn't need to change the scripts at all between releases. The scripts I gave you didn't - they just backup and restore the apt cache and indices, the locations of which are standardised.
You read my script you should know why it needs to be edited and why a simple backup script won’t really work for me. For example I can’t install Nvidia drivers on the online system otherwise that would break it. I’m not after a backup I’m after an an offline installer for my Linux apps and updates.

hummer010: What version of Ubuntu are you using?

According to https://packages.ubuntu.com wine-stable is version 2.0.2 and wine-development is 2.18.

Both are a little dated, but certainly newer than 1.6.

Of course, using wine 3.0 is as simple as using wine's official repository.

As an Arch user I don't have that problem at all - Arch is already using wine 3.0.
No way am I going to use Arch lol. I just tested Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. When the software center wasn't freezing the latest none developer version of Wine was 1.6

Is this not the official Wine Repository?

for some reason this link won't work on GOG so just copy and paste this into your browser

goo.gl/D3kzzB
Post edited February 07, 2018 by Magmarock
adamhm: This is all gradually changing though as more developers start supporting Linux, as Wine improves, and more people start using Linux.
Don't waste your time on Magmarock. You can show him all the facts that things are changing, and he will continue ranting how he doesn't like Linux and no one should be using it. So what's the point? Let him not like it elsewhere.
Post edited February 07, 2018 by shmerl
low rated
adamhm: This is all gradually changing though as more developers start supporting Linux, as Wine improves, and more people start using Linux.
shmerl: Don't waste your time on Magmarock. You can show him all the facts that things are changing, and he will continue ranting how he doesn't like Linux and no one should be using it. So what's the point? Let him not like it elsewhere.
I will report you do the admins for harassment if you keep this up. Leave me alone and ignore my posts.
Magmarock: I will report you do the admins for harassment if you keep this up. Leave me alone and ignore my posts.
You should have been reported for trolling in this thread multiple times already. All your discussions are flamebait. So I'll tell you plain and simple - stop trolling and leave.
Post edited February 07, 2018 by shmerl
Magmarock: No way am I going to use Arch lol. I just tested Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
Try this baby, if you dare.

:)
Post edited February 07, 2018 by Lin545
Magmarock: No way am I going to use Arch lol. I just tested Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
Lin545: Try this baby, if you dare.

:)
Yeah I was looking that that not too long ago. It very interesting but I'm having trouble getting it to work on my MVware. What should I install it under?
Magmarock: Yeah I was looking that that not too long ago. It very interesting but I'm having trouble getting it to work on my MVware. What should I install it under?
See here. I use AQEMU for experiments, but it needs KVM for optimal speed.
Magmarock: Yeah I was looking that that not too long ago. It very interesting but I'm having trouble getting it to work on my MVware. What should I install it under?
Lin545: See here. I use AQEMU for experiments, but it needs KVM for optimal speed.
This thing is still very much in alpha but how will you install stuff in it? From an app store or will you be able to just download something.something and run it?
Magmarock: No way am I going to use Arch lol.
Your loss. I will never use a non-rolling release again. My current install was done in 2012. Six years later, it's still bleeding edge, and running perfectly.
Magmarock: No way am I going to use Arch lol.
hummer010: Your loss. I will never use a non-rolling release again. My current install was done in 2012. Six years later, it's still bleeding edge, and running perfectly.
Nothing wrong with a rolling release but I'm not going back to DOS to install an OS. GUI or no deal. Though I'm tempted to try that with NIXOS it's so weird lol I gotta keep looking at it.