It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Magmarock: What is open source. If I say that I have a USB stick with source code on and it's open, what will you see if you look in it?
Wikipedia can help you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_license
Post edited January 30, 2018 by shmerl
Magmarock: What is open source. If I say that I have a USB stick with source code on and it's open, what will you see if you look in it?
shmerl: Wikipedia can help you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_license
shmerl: See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_license
lol you haven't the faintest idea what open source actually is.
kohlrak: But, as it stands, it costs alot to port and support.
shmerl: That didn't deter CDPR in the past, since they were clearly planning to do it. So I doubt the cost was the issue. More likely just bad planning.
They got in over their heads, clearly.

kohlrak: Basically, you don't use libraries that could end up deprecated, but have fun with that, but that's also a windows issue, too.
Magmarock: Not quite so in my experience most programs come with the dll files needed to work. However they don't always do that. In the case of deprecation you have options like this
https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/update-v56-visual-c-runtime-installer-by-burfadel.72953/page-9#post-1385452

You have to be a member of mydigitallife but it's safe and free. From there you can download an AOI VC++ installer. In just a few second it will solves almost all dll related problems you might have. If Linux has something like this. I might be willing to try it.
That sort of thing can only carry you for so long. If you use that to download the dependencies of a program you want to run, what about it's dependencies? At the end of the day, you may just have to keep an old copy of a certain OS, and hope it can still be installed, because even compatiblity with old OS' booting modes is changing.
shmerl: A simple example. Take some laptop that's relatively old, and try running recent Windows on it. Most likely it will go bust, because there are no drivers for your hardware. Tough luck looking for them, they are closed, and manufacturer never cared to update them for newer Windows. Their idea was "buy new laptop, pay for new Windows too".

More often than not, Linux will run just fine on such computer, because drivers are open and they still support that hardware. Such cases are commonplace. So again, what has better backwards compatibility support? Surely not Windows as far as I can tell.
The latest version of Mint still has issues running on my computer. Linux works well on old stuff I'll give you that but new stuff just forget it. It doesn't months it takes years before everything is working right.

But the question remains. What is open source? No examples or hypotheticals. What is open source. If I say that I have a USB stick with source code on and it's open, what will you see if you look in it?
source code. That's the big thing. If it's closed source, you don't have the source code. If it's open source, you have the source code.
Magmarock: lol you haven't the faintest idea what open source actually is.
Unlike you, I know what FOSS projects are.

kohlrak: source code. That's the big thing. If it's closed source, you don't have the source code. If it's open source, you have the source code.
That's only part of freedom 1 (out of 4). They are usually listed as follows:

* Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
* Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
* Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute and make copies so you can help your neighbor.
* Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

kohlrak: They got in over their heads, clearly.
Their developers are professional, but their upper management - I'm not sure is. Especially when software development is concerned (see comments from actual employees). So they easily could completely mismanage such complicated task as making a Linux version.
Magmarock: lol you haven't the faintest idea what open source actually is.
shmerl: Unlike you, I know what FOSS projects are.

kohlrak: source code. That's the big thing. If it's closed source, you don't have the source code. If it's open source, you have the source code.
shmerl: That's only part of freedom 1 (out of 4). They are usually listed as follows:

* Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
* Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
* Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute and make copies so you can help your neighbor.
* Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
Ahah, there's a difference. FOSS is Free and Open Source Software. Freedom 1 precludes freedom 0, but not 2 or 3, and thus are not guaranteed with open source programs.
kohlrak: Ahah, there's a difference. FOSS is Free and Open Source Software. Freedom 1 precludes freedom 0, but not 2 or 3, and thus are not guaranteed with open source programs.
Not according to OSI. Their definition generally is compatible with how free software defines it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Initiative
shmerl: Their developers are professional, but their upper management - I'm not sure is. Especially when software development is concerned (see comments from actual employees). So they easily could completely mismanage such complicated task as making a Linux version.
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Remember, upper management is not lower marketing any more than it is lower coding. If marketing is in control of the company (which happens more than it should), your company tends to make a fool of itself. Then again, gog has been lately.
kohlrak: Ahah, there's a difference. FOSS is Free and Open Source Software. Freedom 1 precludes freedom 0, but not 2 or 3, and thus are not guaranteed with open source programs.
shmerl: Not according to OSI. Their definition generally is compatible with how free software defines it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Initiative
And the separation between OSI and FOSS was what?
Post edited January 30, 2018 by kohlrak
kohlrak: And the separation between OSI and FOSS was what?
Mostly views on the premise of the free software. FOSS view it as driven by freedom, while OSI views it as driven by pragmatic benefits. I.e. first group emphasizes ethics, and second usefulness.
kohlrak: And the separation between OSI and FOSS was what?
shmerl: Mostly views on the premise of the free software. FOSS view it as driven by freedom, while OSI views it as driven by pragmatic benefits. I.e. first group emphasizes ethics, and second usefulness.
In other words, as stallman pointed out, OSI doesn't view freedom as a principle.
kohlrak: In other words, as stallman pointed out, OSI doesn't view freedom as a principle.
Rather as driving principle. I don't think they object to freedom. Both collaborate in practice.
kohlrak: In other words, as stallman pointed out, OSI doesn't view freedom as a principle.
shmerl: Rather as driving principle. I don't think they object to freedom. Both collaborate in practice.
Just because they don't object to something doesn't mean it's principle. I support FOSS, but i'm OK with straight open source without power of redistribution if the only other alternative is no source. And even i've considered dabbling with the dark side before, simply because I don't think the right people care enough.
kohlrak: That sort of thing can only carry you for so long. If you use that to download the dependencies of a program you want to run, what about it's dependencies? At the end of the day, you may just have to keep an old copy of a certain OS, and hope it can still be installed, because even compatiblity with old OS' booting modes is changing.
Not with those. Those are runtime libraries for visual studio which is a program used to compile source code for games as well as other programs. Each program has it's own set of libraries. For example if you programmed a game back in 2005 within Visual Studio 2005 then VC++ 2005 libraries is what you'll need to male them work in the OS. Most games will ship with this but that AIO puts them in for you. As long as you have the architecture to run them, there won't be a problem. Let us hope then when Microsoft drops 32Bit they replace it with something that can still use 32Bit VC libraries. If so we'll be just fine and we'll be able to continue running 2005 programs well into the future.
Post edited January 30, 2018 by Magmarock
kohlrak: That sort of thing can only carry you for so long. If you use that to download the dependencies of a program you want to run, what about it's dependencies? At the end of the day, you may just have to keep an old copy of a certain OS, and hope it can still be installed, because even compatiblity with old OS' booting modes is changing.
Magmarock: Not with those. Those are runtime libraries for visual studio which is a program used to compile source code for games as well as other programs. Each program has it's own set of libraries. For example if you programmed a game back in 2005 within Visual Studio 2005 then VC++ 2005 libraries is what you'll need to male them work in the OS. Most games will ship with this but that AIO puts them in for you. As long as you have the architecture to run them, there won't be a problem. Let us hope then when Microsoft drops 32Bit they replace it with something that can still use 32Bit VC libraries. If so we'll be just fine and we'll be able to continue running 2005 programs well into the future.
You wish. I wish, too, but that's not the reality. If that were the case, people could get away with dropping these into wine and shouting haleluja. Everything has a dependency. The OS has a dependency on the processor as well.
Magmarock: Not with those. Those are runtime libraries for visual studio which is a program used to compile source code for games as well as other programs. Each program has it's own set of libraries. For example if you programmed a game back in 2005 within Visual Studio 2005 then VC++ 2005 libraries is what you'll need to male them work in the OS. Most games will ship with this but that AIO puts them in for you. As long as you have the architecture to run them, there won't be a problem. Let us hope then when Microsoft drops 32Bit they replace it with something that can still use 32Bit VC libraries. If so we'll be just fine and we'll be able to continue running 2005 programs well into the future.
kohlrak: You wish. I wish, too, but that's not the reality. If that were the case, people could get away with dropping these into wine and shouting haleluja. Everything has a dependency. The OS has a dependency on the processor as well.
You can drop those into Wine. That's often how I got games to work in Wine. I'd recommend Crossover though. It's much better software
Post edited January 30, 2018 by Magmarock
kohlrak: You wish. I wish, too, but that's not the reality. If that were the case, people could get away with dropping these into wine and shouting haleluja. Everything has a dependency. The OS has a dependency on the processor as well.
Magmarock: You can drop those into Wine. That's often how I got games to work in Wine. I'd recommend Crossover though. It's much better software
So it has never failed to work?