It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

shmerl: Latest update from the Q&A Twitch stream (see attached).
ThumbtackJake: It's not happening. I'm absolutely convinced of it at this point. Wish I would have waited before purchasing it. Lesson learned I suppose.
Response from CDPR here wasn't encouraging either: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/21058-Multi-platform-support-of-CDPR-Games-%28Linux-Mac-OSX-and-etc-%29?p=1971577&viewfull=1#post1971577

Basically "no comment" kind of comment.

You can't definitely say whether it's happening or not and it's even harder to say what exactly is happening. It seems CDPR is dominated by heavy NDA policy these day. They basically stopped providing any information about their current development altogether. So while they said that Linux development is happening, we won't get any details until the release (in X years from now).
Post edited December 01, 2015 by shmerl
ThumbtackJake: It's not happening. I'm absolutely convinced of it at this point. Wish I would have waited before purchasing it. Lesson learned I suppose.
If there was a 0% chance that Witcher III will be released on Linux then they'd probably just say it.
Have you played your purchased game yet or not? If not then your purchase was really not smart.

defpo: CRPR linux support in the past has been good. What happened?
Not really. They never developed Linux games before. Witcher 2 was ported to Linux by VirtualProgramming and not by CDPR themselves, and they used a wrapper instead of making a proper native version. So CDPR probably never had a lot of Linux talent on staff. Things could have changed now.
Post edited January 25, 2016 by shmerl
Do they have linux staff?
orcsbattlelord: Do they have linux staff?
They have some people who are OpenGL experts and even Vulkan enthusiasts. And some of them know Linux programming too:

https://pl.linkedin.com/in/kamil-nowakowski-ab3b9555
https://pl.linkedin.com/in/maciej-sawitus-29389b
https://pl.linkedin.com/in/tomasz-jonarski-83667a11
I am so tired of waiting.
atrot: I am so tired of waiting.
Things might move faster after Vulkan release.
@LiefLayer: and Mac!!! Don't forget OSX! I want a full cross-platform game.
I suppose if they are using Vulkan, they can make OS X version as soon as Apple will start supporting Vulkan as well.
Post edited February 12, 2016 by shmerl
atrot: I am so tired of waiting.
shmerl: Things might move faster after Vulkan release.
They will not rewrite engine. Or you mean they will use wrapper, which uses Vulkan?
shmerl: Things might move faster after Vulkan release.
vsr: They will not rewrite engine. Or you mean they will use wrapper, which uses Vulkan?
They surely will update their engine to newest technologies. Cyberpunk 2077 will use that naturally. However whether they'll release TW3 with that updated engine is another question. I would find it strange that they would invest so much effort into making an OpenGL port of the game when much better API is just around the corner. That's the most probable cause for delay.

And I doubt they'll be using any wrappers - the game is too demanding and it's their direct interest to port their engine to more platforms properly.
vsr: They will not rewrite engine. Or you mean they will use wrapper, which uses Vulkan?
shmerl: However whether they'll release TW3 with that updated engine is another question.
Indeed. That is what i was talking about. It's just not worth it.
I was talking about Witcher 3. Sorry if i wasn't clear.
shmerl: However whether they'll release TW3 with that updated engine is another question.
vsr: Indeed. That is what i was talking about. It's just not worth it.
I was talking about Witcher 3. Sorry if i wasn't clear.
It's still possible. They aren't new to releasing enhanced editions of their games, which include engine overhauls. Plus they said in the past it's something they'll consider (releasing TW3 with updated engine).

Anyway, consider this. They are working on TW3 for Linux (that's already known). The game isn't out yet, and Vulkan is about to be released. It's not hard to put two together.
shmerl: It's still possible. They aren't new to releasing enhanced editions of their games, which include engine overhauls. Plus they said in the past it's something they'll consider (releasing TW3 with updated engine).

Anyway, consider this. They are working on TW3 for Linux (that's already known). The game isn't out yet, and Vulkan is about to be released. It's not hard to put two together.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.
If Playstation4 and XB1 will implement Vulkan, things might change drastically - devs will just write code once and deploy everywhere (PS Network, Steam, Xbox's network). But do they (MS and Sony) need a competitor? I hardly doubt it. Xbox and Windows have DirectX, PS4 has it's own home-bred OpenGL implementation, which kinda helps them justify theirs policy. Although i hope for the best. If PS4 will have Vulkan it'll be awesome. :)
Vulkan 1.0 is out! Come on CDPR, release TW3 for Linux soon :)
shmerl: Vulkan 1.0 is out! Come on CDPR, release TW3 for Linux soon :)
By curiosity was there actually any official mention that CDPR was actually considering using Vulkan or is it just wishful thinking on your part ?
Post edited February 16, 2016 by Gersen