It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Jagged Alliance - Deadly Games time.

I going through some tutorial missions. At least I think that's what they are. One guy I hired left my team, happens. Complained about not enough killing. Not my fault your rng sucked. But I want my gear back, you asshole! Between missions, there shows up a guy trying to sell me a bunch of stuff, I've got a suspicion his prices are extortionately high. There's a limited number of turns to complete each mission, and I don't particularly enjoy that. Also it looks like I may run out of some types of ammo soon? Looks at the asshole who left my team with some of that ammo. An unpleasant perspective.
Attachments:
progress.png (76 Kb)
asshole.png (48 Kb)
screen1.png (68 Kb)
screen2.png (89 Kb)
low rated
InkPanther: Jagged Alliance - Deadly Games time.
That glasses wearing dude: I didn't know Bill Gaates was a merc o.0
low rated
Finished the second hub or so of Hexen.....some pics as proof for people's perusal:

1st Pic- Skeleface is back again, trying to scare me.....it doesn't work(well unless his hideous face counts)

2nd Pic- These baddies are worse then I thought...they're shroom growers. o.0

3rd Pic- Found a nice item to have fun with.....plus good news: the chance of delicious bacon has increased markedly

4th Pic- Yoohoo, Avon calling!

Now onto the first Boss area:

5th Pic- Is this a trap? Nahhhhhhhh
Attachments:
2-hippies.jpg (126 Kb)
InkPanther: Jagged Alliance - Deadly Games time.
Dang good game, Woody, but dang more difficult than JA1. Last level was a dang bitch.
Hello again!

So, let us take a look at the starships that are represented with 3D models in the game.
The database accessible through the computer terminal in our room has an entry for the majority of them!
Their written data contains a couple of 'bad' translation errors or is even lacking some information, when compared to the other list entries: 'Spannweite'=wing span should be the amount of torpedo launcher banks on each ship, the 'Klingon' 'Bird of Prey' is missing the cloaking device info, both the 'Venturi' and 'Tholian' ship are missing any kind of details.

[picture 07]
The utilized ship classes from the 'Federation' (Starfleet) are the 'Oberth'-class (science), the 'Miranda'-class (light cruiser), the 'Constitution'-class (heavy cruiser, the 'Enterprise'-type), and the 'Excelsior'-class (here classified as huge battleship, you know, the novelty from the Star Trek Movies with William Shattner).
For the 'Constitution'-class there are actually two versions: one from the original series (TOS, NCC-1701) and a more modern and enhanced one from the motion pictures (NCC-1701 A), each with their own starship bridge. Both are almost identical. The newer model only has slightly different 'warp-gondels', as well as a bit higher maximum 'impuls' speed.

[picture 08]
The 'Klingons' are respresented only by their two standard classes from the movies: the 'K'tinga' battlecruiser and the smaller 'Bird of Prey'. Curiously, from the Klingons only the 'Bird of Prey' has a cloaking device.
Other major roles are played by the 'Gorn' and near the endgame by the 'Tholians', both known from the original series.

[picture 09]
The 'Romulans' have their oldschool 'Bird of Prey' and 'D7-R' from the original series, as well as a prototype vessel called 'Phoenix' (it appears to be based on the 'Romulan Warbird' from The Next Generation (TNG) series). The romulan ships are easily recognizable by their huge red bird emblem/motif on the bottom of their ships.
The 'Venturi' (also taken from the TOS) are a minor annoyance and act as quite fast and maneuverable marauder bands in the game.

[picture 10]
With this image I want to give you an idea of what other objects and races we can find in the game.
From left to right and then the lines from top to bottom are:
a federation space dock, a federation research or trading station, a small probe, the usual planet(s), a pair of asteroids, a merchant's ship, an 'unknown' ship from the 'Hecatier' (which looks strikingly similar to the 'Enterprise D' or 'C' from TNG), and for the depicted races, an Hecatier (CORRECTION: different from the Venturi), another Starfleet captain, a Klingon captain, a Gorn captain, and a Romulan captain.

One interesting technical aspect of the SNES game is, that the cartridge does not feature the so-called 'FX-Chip' for faster polygon calculation/rendering. In consequence, the 3D objects or models do not have many polygons nor any real textures (maybe except the red bird emblem on Romulan ships), but only a set of four vertex colors (white, grey, red and green). Furthermore, the 3D engine is slower than other polygon games on the SNES, such as "Starfox / Starwing", "FX Stunt Race" for instance. But it does not feel sluggish or stuttering.
Hence, I think it contributes to the impression of controlling larger and heavier capital ships instead of small, fast and highly maneuverable dog fighters (like in the "Wing Commander" series)!
Fun fact, this was actually one of the early complaints about the initially released PC version of "Starfleet Academy", that the ship steering and ship-to-ship combat felt more like 'dog-fights' similar to "Wing Commander". Of course this issue was adressed later with a patch, which allowed to adjust the game speed, throttling down the too fast 3D game engine in order to give a more capital feel to the ships.

Ok, bear with me a little more, and I am going to show you the available starship bridges--yes, there are more than one available in the SNES version!

Kind regards,
foxgog

[Edit: Correction regarding the appearence of the Venturi captain. They are not similar to the Hecatier!]
Attachments:
Post edited May 27, 2021 by foxgog
low rated
foxgog: One interesting technical aspect of the SNES game is, that the cartridge does not feature the so-called 'FX-Chip' for faster polygon calculation/rendering. In consequence, the 3D objects or models do not have many polygons nor any real textures (maybe except the red bird emblem on Romulan ships), but only a set of four vertex colors (white, grey, red and green).
I was wondering why the planets/etc didn't look as good as some of the other graphics....now I know why. Thanks for the info, btw.
Hello once more for tonight!

As promised, let us finally take a look into the available starship bridges, since the game is named after them!
The SNES version of "Starfleet Academy" features six different starship bridges.

[pictures 11 & 12]
First, the bridges of the playable 'Federation Starfleet' ships as they are introduced during the game's campaign: the USS Banting (Oberth-class), the USS Tereshkova (Miranda-class, 'USS Excalibur' in the campaign), the USS Bolivar (Constitution-class, like an 'Enterprise NCC-1701 A').
The USS Hood (an older version of the Constitution-class from TOS, like the original 'Enterprise NCC-1701') is only playable in the training simulator as part of the ship-to-ship combat practice or the TOS-inspired special mission about Spock.

[picture 13]
Next are the bridges for the 'Klingon' and 'Romulan' ships. Unfortunately, they reuse the same bridge for the different ships of both 'Klingon' and all 'Romulan' starships. But hey, the later PC-version did not have any of those!

I like, that every starship bridge design is somewhat different and to a certain degree even resembles a little bit their counter part from the original series (TOS) or the first seven motion pictures (feature films with William Shattner). They even differentiated the bridge crew stations or positions for the 'Klingon' and 'Romulan' ships, but in the series and movies, the 'Romulan' bridge was laid out circular around a central structure with the crew stations facing inwards, instead of outwards (as here in the SNES game). Nonetheless, they depicted the circular arrangement, opposed to the rows in the 'Klingon' 'Bird of Prey' as used in the movie 'Star Trek IV'.

Functionally, they are of course the same.

Each bridge has almost the same size of the main screen, merely varying the contur or shape. Centered below the main screen, we have the light indicating the current alert stage (green, yellow or red). In between the screen and the captain's seat we have a flat radar. Other than in the later PC version of the game, it is sometimes harder and other times easier to read. Why? Because the center of the small radar screen represents our ship (no dedicated dot necessary), things in front of our ship are above the center, objects behind our ship are below the center, something on the left means it is on the backbord (left) side of our ship, and right means starbord (right) side. Each contact is displayed as a colored (not exactly) 'dot'--let us call it 'bleep'--that turns into an upwards or downwards pointing triangle, if the object is above or below our current position.

Some may prefer the 3D line/column abstraction of the radar as used in the PC game and other space shooters, but I kind of like the simpler representation here. The problem comes with more than one contact in proximity to each other. Each bleeb of a different color overlaps and overwrites the other and you can easily loose the one you are tracking or trying to follow. In addition, you have absolutely no indication on the main screen for which bleeb corresponds to which ship. A colored targeting indicator (e.g. brackets or something) would have been nice.
One way to handle it, is to focus on only one bleeb in the first place and rely on their relative position on the radar. Another is to switch the radar / scanner range (between battle mode, short, medium and long range). However, on the 'Federation' ships each maximum range of the lower mode represents the innermost circle on the next higher range mode, causing even more clustering of all contacts on nearly the same radar spot. Best of all, there are times when we need to use the longer ranges to find our mission objective(s) while fighting or trying to avoid the enemy vessel(s). Oh, who thought it would be 'nice' to remove even those range rings on the radar screen for the 'Klingon' and 'Romulan' bridge?

On the left side of the main screen, we have on top the phaser charge(s) indicator (green=ready to fire, red=charging/loading, black=disabled or destroyed). Similar on the right side on top for our torpedo launcher(s).
Beneath these weapon status indicators we have on the left side a bar of our shield strength, and on the right side a bar reflecting our current 'impulse' speed (each block of 1/4 of the bar equals half of an 'impulse' speed, known in Star Trek as non-warp-speed for within a star system).

Severe shield, hull or system damages are also acompanied by a corresponding text message of our crew that do not obstruct the main screen and disappears again by itself after a couple of seconds. Shield strength and hull integrity are given in percentages within those messages.

[picture 14]
Here are two other nice features in the game: two player split-screen ship-to-ship combat training, and how the cloaking device of the 'Klingon' 'Bird of Prey' (likewise on all 'Romulan' ships) functions!
The game seem to change all polygon surfaces with to the same grey vertex color in steps of three or four intensities, independent of their orientation, causing the ship to fade into the black background, but still covering the white dots for stars. (Maybe it uses an alpha mask for the modle's contur, I do not know.)
The best part is, that the grey intensity of the ship model is not fixed when cloaked, but from time to time alternates bewteen the middle and the darkest tone, causing the shilouette to get visible again for a brief moment. Thus, we can aim at cloaked ships for an extra damage directly to their subsystems or hull. By doing so we can even damage the claoking device itself, preventing the enemy from 'hiding' again. (This reminds me of the Enterprise's encounter with the Klingon Bird of Prey in Star Trek III Search for Spock.)

In my next report, I will present what happens on an exemplary campaign mission (regular procedure). And discuss the different mission types and solution alternatives.

Kind regards,
foxgog
Attachments:
I'm playing Terror From the Deep, courtesy of OpenXcom.
When I was in 1994 mode I had little problems with the UI of the first X-Com game, but now that I'm in 2001 mode (playing games chronologically) and have already played JA2 the UI feels more cumbersome and takes more time getting used to (TFTD is really just a reskin of the first game, with no UI improvements that I've noticed).
Still, I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm playing it more ruthlessly than I did the first game, using the weakest squad members as expendable scouts.

In the first month we shot down a couple of subs and kicked alien ass in San Fransisco (my God, how I hate this sucking forum software which makes posting screenshots so tedious):
Attachments:
Ciemnogrodzianin sends his regards. He apologizes for no contact, but he's stuck in the dungeons of Stonekeep. The journey turned out to be much more difficult than expected. He just found Fountain of Thera and he's barely alive.
low rated
foxgog: Hello once more for tonight!

As promised, let us finally take a look into the available starship bridges, since the game is named after them!
The SNES version of "Starfleet Academy" features six different starship bridges.
*Looks at pics and reads Fox's post*

That looks like/reminds me of the Star Trek adventure games(the ship/combat portions).....very nice.

-

PetrusOctavianus: Still, I'm enjoying it so far, and I'm playing it more ruthlessly than I did the first game, using the weakest squad members as expendable scouts.
So the Master Chief Halo Maneuver, then? ;)

-

ciemnogrodzianin: Ciemnogrodzianin sends his regards. He apologizes for no contact, but he's stuck in the dungeons of Stonekeep. The journey turned out to be much more difficult than expected. He just found Fountain of Thera and he's barely alive.
Glad to see you're holding up well, fellow time traveler *waves* :)

Tip: Make sure to look for stray planets and save them (you'll see) ;)

=-=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=-=

As for me: I am now on Hub 3 in Hexen......making steady progress. Also I must say, the digs are nicer here than in the first 2 hubs(which were mostly outdoor environments like caves and swamps).
Post edited May 21, 2021 by GamezRanker
I think I was thrown out of alignment with 1995. I haven't played anything in last several days.
Well I finally got around to some '95 gaming, starting to play Policenauts for PS1 today. I actually started playing this like 2 years ago but got distracted by other games before even leaving Jonathan's apartment in the prologue before. Now I'm on act 1 and have seen some light gun action at least.

While the presentation is great, the "kojima touch" is entertaining and I'm enjoying the story and rich lore to the setting so far, the gameplay has not improved at all since Snatcher it seems. You can't skip or speed up cutscenes or voiced dialogue (luckily I'm emulating so I can fast forward), the choices I've been able to make so far have been meaningless, and the game often provides options only to tell you "no thanks" when you try them, funneling you along a straight path besides the flavor dialogue. There's also no journal or message log feature, only summaries when loading a save. Hopefully that won't become an issue.
It does have mouse support which makes the light gun parts a bit better (though if you don't like this aspect and want to make them easier it might be better to use the controller and press a button to let the game auto-aim for you instead).
Post edited May 24, 2021 by ResidentLeever
Still playing Anvil of Dawn. Cleared the Barrier and the Temple of the Moon and made it to the City of the Dead.

Not sure I'll be able to complete the game this month. There are still many places I haven't seen yet.
low rated
InkPanther: I think I was thrown out of alignment with 1995. I haven't played anything in last several days.
*Tosses Ink a Chronoskimmer to help them get back on task asap*

-

PaterAlf: Still playing Anvil of Dawn. Cleared the Barrier and the Temple of the Moon and made it to the City of the Dead.

Not sure I'll be able to complete the game this month. There are still many places I haven't seen yet.
Well OP said/hinted(to me via PM) that they might allow time travelers to finish old time travels in old threads while everyone focuses mainly on the currently active time travel thread. :)
Post edited May 25, 2021 by GamezRanker
Dear time travellers!

For now we have:
· 22 time travellers
· 34 games played
· 9 games finished (so far)
in our 1995 trip.

You can still start playing 1995 games – and I'll register your choice here if made before May 31st 2021.
You can still complete the chosen game – I'll update your status, you've got unlimited time for that.
You can still bring interesting findings, post and discuss in this forum anytime – just keep it focused on 1995 :)

And I cordially invite you to a new thread – 1996! :)