It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TwilightBard: The raw fact is, the game doesn't force you to play as an abusive dictator, it's completely onto the player, the game just gives you the options.
I've noticed that a lot lately. It seems like if a game gives options, some commentators will go out of their way to take the worst possible path (even if the game gives penalties or bad consequences for it) and then they complain that the game "encourages" that kind of behavior in real life XD

I think a review should definitely make readers aware of what's in the game, including if it does have really evil actions and whether they're optional or mandatory to complete the game, but I think that's the extent of what it should be. After they've informed people about what to expect, the review should be more along the lines of, "If you're okay with the premise, then here's how well the gameplay mechanics work, this worked well, that was clunky, etc."
Post edited October 07, 2014 by Jennifer
tremere110: What I want from journalism is full disclosure - pretty much a the Escapist is doing now for example.

I also want them to about games without the overbearing social justice crap seeping in. I don't want to read about articles attacking gamers. I don't need articles telling me that Tropico is such a bad game because you play as a dictator. I don't want games blacklisted from being reviewed because the develpoer doesn't want to follow a specific social agenda (deliverance: kingdom come). I just want game reviews that focus on how fun it is - even if I don't agree with it.
TwilightBard: I gotta say, I found someone calling Tropico a bad game because you play a dictator hilarious, considering that the game does allow you to actually NOT be a total ass (And in fact, a lot of the dictatorish stuff actually has penalties involved). I actually thought that the game was well thought out with the powers it gave you and how people reacted to that, and even if you wanted to take it onto social commentary, it gave an insight into how a politician has to spin plates and make choices to keep people happy.

The raw fact is, the game doesn't force you to play as an abusive dictator, it's completely onto the player, the game just gives you the options.
To me, It seems the SJW types don't want us to have those options Like how Sarkesian was going off because she 'COULD' drag the strippers lifeless bodies on the floor all the while saying there was a sexual thrill in one of her videos.
Rusty_Gunn: To me, It seems the SJW types don't want us to have those options Like how Sarkesian was going off because she 'COULD' drag the strippers lifeless bodies on the floor all the while saying there was a sexual thrill in one of her videos.
Yeah, I found that really weird. I haven't played the Hitman game yet, but as I understand it, that's only possible in one specific place and the strippers are treated like every other NPC in the game (which is to say you're supposed to sneak past them and if you mess up then you have to kill them and hide the bodies before they alert anyone else about your presence). I don't see anything wrong with that. It would be really odd if the female NPC's were treated differently from the male NPC's in terms of game mechanics.

It kind of makes me think of Fallout 3 where they made the children invincible because they were afraid of controversy if any players killed children. I always play as a good character anyway, but I found it really annoying that the children were invincible. The game took advantage of their unkillable status to jerk the player around, making the player jump through hoops to such an extent that if I had the choice I really would have contemplated killing the annoying little bastards just because it was so ridiculous. Now, if the game really did have the choice, that could have been interesting because it would have made me wonder how much crap my character was willing to put up with in order to do the right thing. However, without the choice, it just seems like a really aggravating game mechanic and ruins my immersion because all I'm thinking about is how annoying it is.

So yeah, if people are going to complain just because women and children are treated the same as far as game mechanics go, then we either don't get to have women and children in the games at all, or the game does something aggravating like Fallout 3 XD
low rated
Jennifer: I've noticed that a lot lately. It seems like if a game gives options, some commentators will go out of their way to take the worst possible path (even if the game gives penalties or bad consequences for it) and then they complain that the game "encourages" that kind of behavior in real life XD

I think a review should definitely make readers aware of what's in the game, including if it does have really actions and whether they're optional or mandatory to complete the game, but I think that's the extent of what it should be. After they've informed people about what to expect, the review should be more along the lines of, "If you're okay with the premise, then here's how well the gameplay mechanics work, this worked well, that was clunky, etc."
Yeah, I like games with choices and options to play the game how I want (As far as Tropico went, I admit there were times where I wanted to assassinate some people because they wouldn't move into proper housing!), even if some of them quite frankly aren't nice options. I played with Paragon and Renegade in ME where I would be nice and virtuous to civilians and people that tried to talk over threaten, and be an ass to my enemies. It's a shame to see these things regarded as things that would encourage people in reality.

I think it's something that should be included, hell I think it would be easy to do so to add flair to a review. I do understand that it can be hard to write a review that people want to read without going too far, but it's something that they need to do.
Choices mean the player is playing the game, i.e. the player is in control. If you look at the "games" that make the SJWs wet their pants (like Gone Home), they are games where you don't play the game, but rather you are being played by the "game" (which by definition makes them not games).

Remember, games are not supposed to be about fun, they are supposed to educate the player, so allowing the player to shape the experience is the pure antithesis. Instead you are expected to just take it in and nod like a sheep. i don't like saying the term social engineering, because it makes me sound like a tinfoil hat wearer, but that's the type of media they are trying to push.
Post edited October 07, 2014 by HiPhish
htown1980: I guess that is the big difference. I looked at what they "actually" said, not what they "basically" said. To me there is an important distinction.
Neobr10: Alright, if you want the article, here it is:
"‘Game culture’ as we know it is kind of embarrassing -- it’s not even culture. It’s buying things, spackling over memes and in-jokes repeatedly, and it’s getting mad on the internet.

It’s young men queuing with plush mushroom hats and backpacks and jutting promo poster rolls. Queuing passionately for hours, at events around the world, to see the things that marketers want them to see. To find out whether they should buy things or not. They don’t know how to dress or behave. Television cameras pan across these listless queues, and often catch the expressions of people who don’t quite know why they themselves are standing there.

‘Games culture’ is a petri dish of people who know so little about how human social interaction and professional life works that they can concoct online ‘wars’ about social justice or ‘game journalism ethics,’ straight-faced, and cause genuine human consequences. Because of video games.
(...)
That’s not super surprising, actually. While video games themselves were discovered by strange, bright outcast pioneers -- they thought arcades would make pub games more fun, or that MUDs would make for amazing cross-cultural meeting spaces -- the commercial arm of the form sprung up from marketing high-end tech products to ‘early adopters’. You know, young white dudes with disposable income who like to Get Stuff.

Suddenly a generation of lonely basement kids had marketers whispering in their ears that they were the most important commercial demographic of all time. Suddenly they started wearing shiny blouses and pinning bikini babes onto everything they made, started making games that sold the promise of high-octane masculinity to kids just like them.
(...)
“Gamer” isn’t just a dated demographic label that most people increasingly prefer not to use. Gamers are over. That’s why they’re so mad.

These obtuse shitslingers, these wailing hyper-consumers, these childish internet-arguers -- they are not my audience."

And this is just from the Gamasutra article, there's a lot more in other similar articles that were posted at the same time to attack their audience.

htown1980: I appreciate that it was an analogy. I just don't think that it was a good one. I don't think a race of people is analogous to a group of people who undertake in a particular hobby.
Neobr10: Oh boy, do you really have to do so many acobratics instead of admiting that you are wrong? It has nothing to do with races, i even mentioned christians as an example because of that. I'm just saying that labelling any group with offensive adjectives is fucking ridiculous. It doesn't matter if we are talking about a religious group, an ethnic group or a group that share the same hobby. Can you understand it now or do i have to draw a picture for you?

htown1980: Do you think it is a double standard to be insulted about the "gamers are dead" articles but not about "objectified women in gaming"?
Neobr10: Obviously not, because a game is just a fucking game, it's an entertainment product and nothing else. The article was real i did feel offended by it, just like i found it offensive when an user here called all greeks "crooks".
This embarrassing "article" shows what a prime example of a true "hater" is capable of.
This person needs professional help rather than a podium and an audience.
It actually reads a bit like Hitler, which reminds me, that I really need to read the complete "Mein Kampf" someday to look for more patterns shared with some groups of today that like to see themselves as the current "left wing" .

Sorry for implementing Godwin's Law here.
Post edited October 07, 2014 by Klumpen0815
ET3D: ??? Gamasutra's focus on game development is normally pretty good. Can you explain what this comment refers to?
They do well in posting developer editorials about sales, tactics and such. However they also post a lot of very left-leaning exaggerated stuff for attention. And I say that as a very left-leaning person.
low rated
the future of FPS games.... enemy in crosshair TRIGGA WARNING!!! shoot bang enemy has already disapeared. Next scene...
driving games... you drive like a mad man trough a city... empty! No more people around! just empty or if you find a driving game with people in it and you try to just roll over them TRIGGA WARNING you have been baned from the game cuz you harassed them pixels with your violent behaviour.. that bs is then sent to the developer (cuz of always online gaming) and a blocker have been installed into your exe for 10 days so you think seriously about your god damn behaviour, now grow up and dont be a bad bad boy, damn it !

Yeah, funny games they will give us....

and yeah we germans see in people like Leigh alexander a little hitler on the rise. No compromise no anything. Fully in love/hate with themself! Crazy Leigh is realy just a racist gone mad and has an audience!
Post edited October 07, 2014 by NWN_babayaga
low rated
NWN_babayaga: snip
Maybe people should get [url=http://www.gog.com/game/postal_2_complete]stuff as long as it's still there.

Somehow I'd love to see Biing, Boong and Wet here just for annoying the censoring freaks and since they are in a way classics, they'd fit in here quite well too. :D
Rusty_Gunn: To me, It seems the SJW types don't want us to have those options Like how Sarkesian was going off because she 'COULD' drag the strippers lifeless bodies on the floor all the while saying there was a sexual thrill in one of her videos.
You know, that still doesn't make sense to me how someone could play a Hitman game and think that's what the game WANTED you to do. Or that it was trying to make it sexy, instead of the practical decision that came out of the player fucking up stealth.

Jennifer: Yeah, I found that really weird. I haven't played the Hitman game yet, but as I understand it, that's only possible in one specific place and the strippers are treated like every other NPC in the game (which is to say you're supposed to sneak past them and if you mess up then you have to kill them and hide the bodies before they alert anyone else about your presence). I don't see anything wrong with that. It would be really odd if the female NPC's were treated differently from the male NPC's in terms of game mechanics.

It kind of makes me think of Fallout 3 where they made the children invincible because they were afraid of controversy if any players killed children. I always play as a good character anyway, but I found it really annoying that the children were invincible. The game took advantage of their unkillable status to jerk the player around, making the player jump through hoops to such an extent that if I had the choice I really would have contemplated killing the annoying little bastards just because it was so ridiculous. Now, if the game really did have the choice, that could have been interesting because it would have made me wonder how much crap my character was willing to put up with in order to do the right thing. However, without the choice, it just seems like a really aggravating game mechanic and ruins my immersion because all I'm thinking about is how annoying it is.

So yeah, if people are going to complain just because women and children are treated the same as far as game mechanics go, then we either don't get to have women and children in the games at all, or the game does something aggravating like Fallout 3 XD
I honestly don't get it either. I do find it interesting is that you don't really see much bitching about the female bandits and raiders in Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3/NV. But yeah, you can't have a game set in a city, or a large countryside and not have women and children, honestly I think that's a situation far worse then having them be killable.

The funny thing with children and Skyrim, still unkillable, CAN be turned into vampires. A friend of mine had to put a mod in to kill children to deal with a child vampire that was chasing him all over Skyrim, since it was still unkillable. And there was the vampire in the Dark Brotherhood storyline who was stuck as a child, and she abused that over and over again for her kills.
low rated
I always loved brutal games where you could just do anything to anyone in it. I think these people dont have humour at all and we should be very sorry for them. How sad they must be not be able to laugh at exploding pixels if it has the beewbs or not has the beewbs... :D

thanks for the links, appreciated!
TwilightBard: You know, that still doesn't make sense to me how someone could play a Hitman game and think that's what the game WANTED you to do. Or that it was trying to make it sexy, instead of the practical decision that came out of the player fucking up stealth.
Yeah, exactly. It makes me think of when people post funny screenshots of ragdoll physics where the corpses landed in an awkward or suggestive way. It's silly and worth a laugh, but it would be wrong to say that the developers intended for that to happen or that it's a major part of the game. If I'm playing a game like Hitman and I mess up, I'm thinking, "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, hide the evidence!" I'm not going to drag corpses around the floor in circles trying to get the camera to zoom in on the crotch XD

TwilightBard: I honestly don't get it either. I do find it interesting is that you don't really see much bitching about the female bandits and raiders in Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3/NV. But yeah, you can't have a game set in a city, or a large countryside and not have women and children, honestly I think that's a situation far worse then having them be killable.
I did find the female raiders funny in a stupid kind of way. In a game like Fallout 3 I grab everything I can carry just because I can, so I noticed something really weird with the female raiders. If you loot their bikini armor, then magically a set of underwear appears which actually covers more skin than the armor did! XD I found that very silly too. Definitely not as big of an issue as those awful children, but still made me wonder what they were thinking when they designed that. It's like they didn't want to make the armor cover more, but were too afraid to have naked corpses either XD

TwilightBard: The funny thing with children and Skyrim, still unkillable, CAN be turned into vampires. A friend of mine had to put a mod in to kill children to deal with a child vampire that was chasing him all over Skyrim, since it was still unkillable. And there was the vampire in the Dark Brotherhood storyline who was stuck as a child, and she abused that over and over again for her kills.
Whoa, that's horrible! I haven't gotten far enough in Skyrim yet to encounter anything like that, but now I think I'm going to go looking for the mod just in case it happens to me too.
Post edited October 07, 2014 by Jennifer
TwilightBard: You know, that still doesn't make sense to me how someone could play a Hitman game and think that's what the game WANTED you to do. Or that it was trying to make it sexy, instead of the practical decision that came out of the player fucking up stealth.
Following this reasoning, mobile phones and every other small vibrating gadget should only be sold in adult-stores and so should carrots, cucumbers and aubergines. Filthy stuff!
low rated
the thing is with these "feminazis" they teach children (see lacy green) how to be a sex addict and that butt queefs are cute etc. but YELL at video games that devs should care about the message their games have... yeah logic!

So it´s totaly ok if you butt queef (we call it just farting ugly) with a gasoline but not to hump a hooker in a game... I mean i have seen a lot of horror movies and stuff but a woman that butt queefs and then smiles hey tasty right is realy to much for me. But that is their education in reality!

And if you know one of those freaks you know them all. They all have exactly the same "world view" that covers economy, social interaction, sex etc. So someone should do a GAME that actually represents their own sex education with everything in it. You could compare that to marquise de.... soft power!

The games name "REVENGE of the farting feminist" aka a feminist fart is always a golden butt queef. Protagonist Zoe Quinn... enemys... men who have fun! If that doesnt scares you uhm...
Post edited October 07, 2014 by NWN_babayaga
It seems to me (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you are both assuming that Sarkesian (and other Feminist/SJW 'names') really do believe it when they spout demonstrable nonsense like that Hitman thing.

Maybe this is just my cynicism kicking in, but I suspect that they say stuff like that because they know there are people who will lap it up, no questions asked. And it's those who utterly believe what they have been told that will generate all the outrage and publicity needed for Sarkesian and Co. to make mo' monies.

Sarkesian etc. are many things, but I honestly don't think 'stupid' is amongst them.