It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tfishell: Unfortunate, sorry. More evidence GOGgers are second-class citizens, whether in this case that's GOG's fault for not getting the pub's attention or the pub's fault for not paying attention to GOG.
You missed some posts; GOG has the new build since quite some time now :/

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_what_did_just_update_thread/post4454
Post edited November 29, 2014 by DyNaer
tfishell: Unfortunate, sorry. More evidence GOGgers are second-class citizens, whether in this case that's GOG's fault for not getting the pub's attention or the pub's fault for not paying attention to GOG.
DyNaer: You missed some posts; GOG has the new build since quite some time now :/

If GOG is going to be this sloppy about turnaround times, they really need to implement some kind of "screw tested and supported, just give me the newest thing the developers submitted as-is" button and a big "don't ignore me"-style dashboard on the office wall showing statistics about it.
ssokolow: If GOG is going to be this sloppy about turnaround times, they really need to implement some kind of "screw tested and supported, just give me the newest thing the developers submitted as-is" button and a big "don't ignore me"-style dashboard on the office wall showing statistics about it.
That's not so simple, since they warp the games in their own installer. Plus they just don't throw the new build without some tests -> ie if everything install correctly.

But sometimes i'm baffle with their "tests" , ie Diviniry OS and some patches issues with older installers..... >.>

so i'm not really sure about the reason about this delay for Cognition....
DyNaer: You missed some posts; GOG has the new build since quite some time now :/

ssokolow: If GOG is going to be this sloppy about turnaround times, they really need to implement some kind of "screw tested and supported, just give me the newest thing the developers submitted as-is" button and a big "don't ignore me"-style dashboard on the office wall showing statistics about it.
Hopefully Galaxy will give that as an option, allowing devs to update Galaxy user's versions. If not, then I suspect eventually people will catch on to the sloppy turnaround times, and stick with or go back to Steam, which will obviously be bad news for GOG.
DyNaer: That's not so simple, since they warp the games in their own installer. Plus they just don't throw the new build without some tests -> ie if everything install correctly.

But sometimes i'm baffle with their "tests" , ie Diviniry OS and some patches issues with older installers..... >.>

so i'm not really sure about the reason about this delay for Cognition....
The whole point is that, if any significant number of people are willing to puzzle their way through manually following the "here's what the installer must do to make it work" instructions the developers give GOG, then they know they're taking far too long.
Thank you all for understanding my frustration. It is nice to see that I am not seen as the guy who just misunderstands GOG and only wants to rant. Believe me, I am really not. I have bought quite a number of games here in the last time because I felt quite good here and I like the comunity and the way most things are handled here.

So in the case of Cognition I wanted to have it on GOG, too. But I knew that there are German subtitles included in the German retail release in Germany and the decision to buy it there or here on GOG depended on those subtitles. So I wrote to Phoenix and it took me very long and even there quite some waiting time without having my mails, PMs and postings answered. Finally they told me that the German subtitles will come to the digital release, too. So I bought the GOG version.

After quite some time the digital release still wasn't updated and no word of a new release so I asked Phoenix again. It took me another one or two months until I got the message that they just updated the digital release and every publisher (including GOG) will get this update. After waiting another day (and reading on Steam that the game there already was updated) I asked Judas here and he confirmed that they've received the builds and they will update it in a couple of days or so. Since then it has been 16 days. No update and most of my posts being ignored. I complained about this in seperate threads, via PM and using the contact form and have not received a single answer to know when to expect this update.

As you can see I am not impatient and I try to stay polite as long as I can. But now there is a sale on Phoenix for Cognition and I have the possibility to buy it there instantly getting my beloved subtitles - but why should I pay twice for my game only because GOG does not manage to update this one? It can not be this hard. At the moment there is Italian and English included in the game which is selectable through the main menu. So another language would be selectable through the menu, too (and it was before the GOTY version). No need for GOG to do another launcher or something like that. But no, they take the time to update another mac version, a linux vrersion, countless french languages and nothing - not even an anouncement for "my" game. I totally get it that GOG is not that big and that there might occur problems they did not expect but PLEASE TALK TO ME!

Since I am here on GOG this has been the most disappointing thing I've ever experienced here. But again - thank you all for understanding my frustration - this way I don't feel so lonely anymore.
@MarkoH01

Do you realize that "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream" got updated on Steam some 10 months ago, upgrading the game to the ScummVM latest version (and they update it every time a new SVM version comes out), yet the GOG version hasn't been updated and still uses the buggy DOS emulation.

At this stage I've pretty much given up on GOG giving a shit about updates, and their communication with Night Dive is appalling (look at all the classics Night Dive has released on Steam which aren't on GOG).
Crosmando: Do you realize that "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream" got updated on Steam some 10 months ago, upgrading the game to the ScummVM latest version (and they update it every time a new SVM version comes out), yet the GOG version hasn't been updated and still uses the buggy DOS emulation.
Haven't I've been mentioning time and time again that the ScummVM version may have game stopping bugs for some people, while the DOSBox versions has (at most) some graphical glitches that are fixed by reloading?

So why do you still ask for the most buggy version of the two?
MarkoH01: Thank you all for understanding my frustration. It is nice to see that I am not seen as the guy who just misunderstands GOG and only wants to rant. Believe me, I am really not. I have bought quite a number of games here in the last time because I felt quite good here and I like the comunity and the way most things are handled here.

So in the case of Cognition I wanted to have it on GOG, too. But I knew that there are German subtitles included in the German retail release in Germany and the decision to buy it there or here on GOG depended on those subtitles. So I wrote to Phoenix and it took me very long and even there quite some waiting time without having my mails, PMs and postings answered. Finally they told me that the German subtitles will come to the digital release, too. So I bought the GOG version.

After quite some time the digital release still wasn't updated and no word of a new release so I asked Phoenix again. It took me another one or two months until I got the message that they just updated the digital release and every publisher (including GOG) will get this update. After waiting another day (and reading on Steam that the game there already was updated) I asked Judas here and he confirmed that they've received the builds and they will update it in a couple of days or so. Since then it has been 16 days. No update and most of my posts being ignored. I complained about this in seperate threads, via PM and using the contact form and have not received a single answer to know when to expect this update.

As you can see I am not impatient and I try to stay polite as long as I can. But now there is a sale on Phoenix for Cognition and I have the possibility to buy it there instantly getting my beloved subtitles - but why should I pay twice for my game only because GOG does not manage to update this one? It can not be this hard. At the moment there is Italian and English included in the game which is selectable through the main menu. So another language would be selectable through the menu, too (and it was before the GOTY version). No need for GOG to do another launcher or something like that. But no, they take the time to update another mac version, a linux vrersion, countless french languages and nothing - not even an anouncement for "my" game. I totally get it that GOG is not that big and that there might occur problems they did not expect but PLEASE TALK TO ME!

Since I am here on GOG this has been the most disappointing thing I've ever experienced here. But again - thank you all for understanding my frustration - this way I don't feel so lonely anymore.
i know the frustration because sometimes neither i got a human answer for some of my support tickets, neither i got an answer from one of the GOG staff i PM (most likely since the new redisign of the website).. It took me one month to get an answer from one of my ticket (and i needed to insist )

About Cognition, one piece of advice : if you have a Steam account ; request a key to Phoenix Studio , they will give you one freely.(just provide a proof of purchase) -> at least you will be able to acces to the latest version

Of course if you .don't have a Steam account this advice serves no purpose. You could also explain your situation to Phoenix Studio, but i'm not sure what they will do ...
DyNaer: i know the frustration because sometimes neither i got a human answer for some of my support tickets, neither i got an answer from one of the GOG staff i PM (most likely since the new redisign of the website).. It took me one month to get an answer from one of my ticket (and i needed to insist )

About Cognition, one piece of advice : if you have a Steam account ; request a key to Phoenix Studio , they will give you one freely.(just provide a proof of purchase) -> at least you will be able to acces to the latest version

Of course if you .don't have a Steam account this advice serves no purpose. You could also explain your situation to Phoenix Studio, but i'm not sure what they will do ...
I have a Steam account but I only use it if there is absolutely no way to get a game without DRM - which would not be the case for Cognition. I already told Phoenix that GOG still has not updated the game and asked them if they could push them a little. No answer from their side until now. I guess asking them for a steam key would result in the same "no answer" politics - but it may be worth a try. It seems like "no answer" is the new customer support ;)
JMich: Haven't I've been mentioning time and time again that the ScummVM version may have game stopping bugs for some people, while the DOSBox versions has (at most) some graphical glitches that are fixed by reloading?

So why do you still ask for the most buggy version of the two?
The graphical glitches are unfixable as they are the result of problems in the game data. Happens with both, and there's a list of bugs that the SVM version fixes:

When loading a save game, the music played is still the music which was playing in the previous scene before the save game is loaded
When picking up or using objects in a scene, sometimes a "ghost" object is created in the top left corner of the screen
Chapter 1 (Gorrister): After reading the note in the starting room, the hotspot for the note moves to the upper-left corner, so you can read it again and again
Chapter 1 (Gorrister): Gorrister's heart is not supposed to have a "use" phrase attached to it (it's not used anywhere, it's only given), but when "used", an incorrect reply is given to the player ("It's too narrow for me to pass", said when Gorrister tries to pick up the heart without a rope)
Chapter 1 (Gorrister): Using the knife to cut out Edna's heart can lead to unexpected behavior the second time this is performed. The player is either able to talk again to the dead Edna, or get her heart again and be stuck
Chapter 1 (Gorrister): the left graffitti in the restroom can't be examined. Gorrister just walks back to the bar instead
Chapter 1 (Gorrister): When Edna drops her key in the freezer room, the user can hover over 2 items with the cursor ("The key" and "Edna's key")
Chapter 3 (Benny): After talking to the child via the monitor, Benny walks backwards
Chapter 3 (Benny): Putting the lottery bag into the hole and retrieving it back from there summons another Psychic Profile book in the inventory (instead of the bag icon)
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SAGA/Bugs

Those are original game bugs, meaning they still exist in the GOG version, but not in the Steam version, it's as simple as that. There's 3 original bugs left in the SVM version, but they'll eventually be eliminated too.

Those bugs will NEVER be fixed with DOS emulation because well it's emulation with no source code - while SVM are complete rebuilds of the game. That and SVM is being actively developed and worked on, and I'm pretty sure Dosbox has ceased development since 0.74.

All I'm asking is that we get the same version and updates that Steam has, GOG can still offer the vanilla DOS version if they want. It's downright unacceptable that GOG can leave a game not updated for 10 months. Though I fear something may have gown down with GOG and Night Dive.

SVM should always be used when possible because it's flat out superior than using dosbox, not that dosbox is bad but svm feels more natural and smooth in controls and isn't as performance intensive as dosbox.
Post edited November 29, 2014 by Crosmando
MarkoH01: I have a Steam account but I only use it if there is absolutely no way to get a game without DRM - which would not be the case for Cognition. I already told Phoenix that GOG still has not updated the game and asked them if they could push them a little. No answer from their side until now. I guess asking them for a steam key would result in the same "no answer" politics - but it may be worth a try. It seems like "no answer" is the new customer support ;)
For a Steam key , you are wrong, they provided one to me , i just sent them a copy of the gog receipt . About this i'm sure at 100%
Crosmando: SVM should always be used when possible because it's flat out superior than using dosbox, not that dosbox is bad but svm feels more natural and smooth in controls and isn't as performance intensive as dosbox.
ScummVM for IHNMAIMS though introduces a disappearing character bug, specifically for Ellen. The methods to make Benny reappear do not work for that, so unless you play the game in one sitting, it becomes unwinnable. None of the bugs fixed by ScummVM are game stopping, but losing a character is.

So, what version is the superior one, the one with graphical glitches that can be completed, or the one without graphical glitches that can't?

P.S. If ScummVM has fixed the Ellen bug, then yes, do update it. If it's still there, then the ScummVM version is a broken one that shouldn't be sold.
If ND changed the engine then THAT is the official version.
@JMich
That issue is actually fixed in SVM recent builds:
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/6709/?limit=25&page=1 (see the last post)
Post edited November 29, 2014 by Crosmando
Crosmando: @JMich
That issue is actually fixed in SVM recent builds:
http://sourceforge.net/p/scummvm/bugs/6709/?limit=25&page=1 (see the last post)
So the working ScummVM version is from October 27, and not 10 months old. Yes, assuming the game breaking bugs have been fixed, then it is time to update. But 10 months ago the ScummVM version was the inferior one, not the superior one.