It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HypersomniacLive: Is that meant as a mobile app? What if I have a mobile phone that can't run such apps?
Well there's an emulator or a windows tool which do the same thing... (the emulator isn't safe from my last readng).

For the mobile phone, i think you speak of a "real" one, not a"smartphone" , yeah the app won't work (lol) ;)

The mobile phone is optional ; but needless to say :

a / market is getting pointless (items are holding 15 days before to get on the market)

b / the reminder appears once a month or so i think.

I have no need of a smartphone, Steam or not , it's a personal choice
Post edited September 27, 2016 by DyNaer
skeletonbow: I know of at least one site with a big S that not only doesn't use reCaptcha on every login, but they also redirect to unencrypted HTTP after login via HTTPS, a practice extremely frowned upon by security experts for 16+ years or so. I mean, if we're going to be comparing certain platforms with big Ss and all as the huge blueprint allegedly being followed. :)
DyNaer: Well, my point is mostly : the more a site has increased security features , the more it's a challenge for anyone who attempt to "break" it, and when it's "broken" , another security layer is added and so on ...to the point the regular user is annoyed. > see the debacle with Steam & their virtual items ... .It's the game the cat & the mouse.

Sure they are users who don't really care / or don't pay attention to the basic security advices, which initially could be the reason of the increase of the security measures... ie : too common passwords, clicking everything on a webpage :P (especially certain malicious websites) , phishing , and i could continue.

In other hand as you pointed out some sites have poor security functionalities and shouldn't be used.
Sure, I agree of course. Security and convenience are ultimately at odds with each other and often equivocal to mutual exclusion. I wouldn't say 100% per se, but up there. I'm pretty annoyed by Steam's requirement that you own a mobile phone in order to fully authenticate also. (I'm aware of various hacks around that without needing a mobile phone, have explored them and consider them all unsuitable as well.)

I do care highly for security, but not always fond of the actual methodologies that some sites end up using which often create massive inconvenience without actually providing any real security. It becomes only "security theatre" in the end.

The funny thing with Steam's forced SMS authentication is that there are recent government publications specifically recommending AGAINST using SMS for 2FA because it is considered insecure. While the websites and others out there argue about that (without actually reading the actual words of the government recommendations, but instead judging it based purely on the headline and with know knowledge of the actual concepts of course), nothing happens to move things into a better situation either. It's kind of pathetic. :/
skeletonbow: The funny thing with Steam's forced SMS authentication is that there are recent government publications specifically recommending AGAINST using SMS for 2FA because it is considered insecure. While the websites and others out there argue about that (without actually reading the actual words of the government recommendations, but instead judging it based purely on the headline and with know knowledge of the actual concepts of course), nothing happens to move things into a better situation either. It's kind of pathetic. :/
Waiting my governement to sue Valve about that :P

heh , we have an election next year , i could still hope :D
DyNaer: Waiting my governement to sue Valve about that :P

heh , we have an election next year , i could still hope :D
I'd rather see Valve make using something like one of those Yubikey dongles an option for people than this forced SMS nonsense. If they ever push it far enough to require SMS for purchasing of games then they're going to lose my business entirely as I refuse to buy a mobile phone or device for any reason, and I wont use any web based hacks either.

Funny thing is that part of the goal of Valve with Steam was to combat piracy by making it super easy to buy video games online and provide conveniences to people that they would really want to have in order to encourage people to buy games rather than pirating them. I think that it has been demonstrated by Valve and other companies since then that digital distribution does indeed provide major conveniences to consumers and it has been very profitable as well.

If the digital distribution services end up making it a hassle to purchase games, download them etc. and people find it getting inconvenient rather than more convenient, then they're going to lose some percentage of users either back to piracy, or from gaming altogether. It took a number of years for me to buy in to the idea of digital distribution of games, and it was GOG that won me over on that, but if a day comes where I find it to be more hassle than gain, I'll just stop buying games and start playing them instead. It's not like I am not well prepared in the game library department already. :oP
skeletonbow: I'd rather see Valve make using something like one of those Yubikey dongles an option for people than this forced SMS nonsense. If they ever push it far enough to require SMS for purchasing of games then they're going to lose my business entirely as I refuse to buy a mobile phone or device for any reason, and I wont use any web based hacks either.
Soon in your closest store Steam's dongles :P.

Or Motherboards powered by Steam , with some "features" in the BIOS .... there're already Steam's machines....
For the game Ceville (recently removed from GOG's catalog) the library link to GOG DOWNLOADER LINKS leads to a 404 page [Support Ticket: No]
DeMignon: For the game Ceville (recently removed from GOG's catalog) the library link to GOG DOWNLOADER LINKS leads to a 404 page [Support Ticket: No]
I filed a ticket on this one already
Update: GOG Support has now acknowledged the Ceville downloader links issue. No word on when they might be fixed, but I'll keep everyone posted.
So, no login captcha today - bug, or fix?
HypersomniacLive: So, no login captcha today - bug, or fix?
I would go with the third option; neither, it's a conscious design choice to keep you on your toes.
This is Gog, why would you expect it to be consistent? ;P
HypersomniacLive: So, no login captcha today - bug, or fix?
or... working cookies! :)
skeletonbow: ... I filed a ticket on this one already [..] No word on when they might be fixed, but I'll keep everyone posted.
Great, thanks.

HypersomniacLive: ...no login captcha today - bug, or fix?
skeletonbow: or... working cookies! :)
Hehe, nah, don't think so. I've cleared the cookies and it's still gone for now.
DeMignon: Great, thanks.

Hehe, nah, don't think so. I've cleared the cookies and it's still gone for now.
GOG uses cookies and localStorage. Depending on how one's browser is configured, clearing cookies may or may not clear localStorage. Also depends on any addons that might change behaviour.
skeletonbow: GOG uses cookies and localStorage. Depending on how one's browser is configured, clearing cookies may or may not clear localStorage. Also depends on any addons that might change behaviour.
i didn't changed the Firefox's settings and the reCaptcha is no more offered at first login attempt.
No reCaptcha for me in Chrome incognito mode either.