It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DyNaer: [...]

Whatever, that's not good at all .....if a user uses Galaxy and not the forum, i have no clue.(except if he/she in a game)...so this a poor design choice.
Of course it's a poor choice, but all GOG cares about is for everyone to get on Galaxy and use all the awesome features introduced for it.

What I'm saying is that there's no way to distinguish why one shows as online in chat - if one's on the site/forum, they show online in chat; if they're only on Galaxy, they show as online in chat, if they merely have Galaxy running while doing something totally unrelated to GOG, they show as online in chat.

Notifications may well be broken, or semi-broken, or whatever. With the contact list jumping up and down based on whose light is green, it's not hard to miss a message, or two, or three. The question is - does GOG care enough to fix it?
Making "Account" menus show up consistently on homepages is hard.
DyNaer: [...]

Whatever, that's not good at all .....if a user uses Galaxy and not the forum, i have no clue.(except if he/she in a game)...so this a poor design choice.
HypersomniacLive: Of course it's a poor choice, but all GOG cares about is for everyone to get on Galaxy and use all the awesome features introduced for it.
What do expect since they are so pushing it so hard, especially the time for serving as a patch delivery system for Witcher 3 is now over which was the primary purpose for the Galaxy Client originally.

IMHO they should have never aimed to do a copycat-version of Steam and have written a proper client instead of doing a chromeless browser which displays more or less the website. In addition they should have put their site into a trashcan and start anew.

The only positive thing about now is that they are not as molasses slow like IndieGala.
HypersomniacLive: Of course it's a poor choice, but all GOG cares about is for everyone to get on Galaxy and use all the awesome features introduced for it.
coffeecup: What do expect since they are so pushing it so hard, especially the time for serving as a patch delivery system for Witcher 3 is now over which was the primary purpose for the Galaxy Client originally.

IMHO they should have never aimed to do a copycat-version of Steam and have written a proper client instead of doing a chromeless browser which displays more or less the website. In addition they should have put their site into a trashcan and start anew.

The only positive thing about now is that they are not as molasses slow like IndieGala.
On the plus side, after cloud saving, open-sourcing the client is the #2 feature request for Galaxy. Hopefully having that stare at them day-in, day-out will eventually bring results.

(Given that indie is one of their target markets, it'd also help them compete with the Itch.io [url=https://itch.io/t/11307/the-itchio-desktop-client-is-here]just released, which is already open-source.)
Post edited December 22, 2015 by ssokolow
coffeecup: What do expect since they are so pushing it so hard, especially the time for serving as a patch delivery system for Witcher 3 is now over which was the primary purpose for the Galaxy Client originally.

Right now when i try to use the chat with someone using Galaxy i have the impression to not be heard :| (and it's seems the case for GOG's staff member using it) -> if they don't see the issue ; well i am speechless ...because of the problem i have mentionned above....

As for Indiegala, yeah it's so slowwwwwwwwwwwww.
Post edited December 22, 2015 by DyNaer
ssokolow: (Given that indie is one of their target markets, it'd also help them compete with the Itch.io [url=https://itch.io/t/11307/the-itchio-desktop-client-is-here]just released, which is already open-source.)
Wow, nice and sleek.

During Galaxy Alpha, I suggested several times that GOG should take Desurium (open source variant of the Desura Client), ask for permission to use it for their own store, customize it ... and wowza, a nice slim and stable client. The only major problem with it that GOG would have to rewrite the content delivery system but afaik the Desura client just downloads the offline installer and decompresses the file.

I seriously do hope, that one day someone makes a client which folds the game clients of Steam, GOG and Desura into one application without the need to run them all. itch.io, humble bundle, indiegamestand and groupees would be a bonus. Sadly, the latter is VERY tight-lipped about programmatically accessing the game and music library (I already asked them very politely, if there is any API for accessing my games / music available. No response ;)
ssokolow: (Given that indie is one of their target markets, it'd also help them compete with the Itch.io [url=https://itch.io/t/11307/the-itchio-desktop-client-is-here]just released, which is already open-source.)
coffeecup: Wow, nice and sleek.

During Galaxy Alpha, I suggested several times that GOG should take Desurium (open source variant of the Desura Client), ask for permission to use it for their own store, customize it ... and wowza, a nice slim and stable client. The only major problem with it that GOG would have to rewrite the content delivery system but afaik the Desura client just downloads the offline installer and decompresses the file.

I seriously do hope, that one day someone makes a client which folds the game clients of Steam, GOG and Desura into one application without the need to run them all. itch.io, humble bundle, indiegamestand and groupees would be a bonus. Sadly, the latter is VERY tight-lipped about programmatically accessing the game and music library (I already asked them very politely, if there is any API for accessing my games / music available. No response ;)
If I can ever find the time, I want to work toward that, but my primary goal with my experimental game launcher project is countering my tendency to be too lazy to pick a game when I'm too tired to work... which means that, when I'm not working on my degree project instead, my effort is currently focused on writing heuristics (and unit tests for them) to find icons, launcher paths, and names for games that were just unzipped without adding launchers, given only the path to /mnt/buffalo_ext/games.

(I'm also prioritizing that because it's such a unique thing as far as I can tell, which means I'm not duplicating effort should I decide to merge my work into a project like Lutris which already has a GUI.)
Post edited December 23, 2015 by ssokolow
coffeecup: I seriously do hope, that one day someone makes a client which folds the game clients of Steam, GOG and Desura into one application without the need to run them all.
Project Ascension might be what you're looking for.
coffeecup: I seriously do hope, that one day someone makes a client which folds the game clients of Steam, GOG and Desura into one application without the need to run them all.
v3: Project Ascension might be what you're looking for.
Given that the website URL redirects to a reddit post and they apparently couldn't be bothered to provide some non-video introductory materials (eg. text and/or concept diagrams/wireframes/etc.), I give it a D- for first impression. (I'd give it an F, but they have a github link, as useless as it is for getting more info.)

(Project Ascension developers, if you're too lazy to write up something for people whose time is valuable and who read much more quickly than a video can play, I have no trust in your ability to follow through and produce a comfortable user experience. You fail at convincing potential users that you're worth a more thorough look.)
Post edited December 23, 2015 by ssokolow
v3: Project Ascension might be what you're looking for.
ssokolow: Given that the website URL redirects to a reddit post and they apparently couldn't be bothered to provide some non-video introductory materials (eg. text and/or concept diagrams/wireframes/etc.), I give it a D- for first impression. (I'd give it an F, but they have a github link, as useless as it is for getting more info.)
At the time I opened the linked thread, they were having a functional website (Wayback machine saved a little more than a home page) with some useful info including technical details. Public beta was expected this fall, but then some disagreements within the team reached boiling point and one of the developers forked the project under the name . The rest of the team cotinued working on the original [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Project_Ascension/]Project Ascension with slightly modified objective. The website was stripped down, but they have said new one is in the making.
ssokolow: Given that the website URL redirects to a reddit post and they apparently couldn't be bothered to provide some non-video introductory materials (eg. text and/or concept diagrams/wireframes/etc.), I give it a D- for first impression. (I'd give it an F, but they have a github link, as useless as it is for getting more info.)
v3: At the time I opened the linked thread, they were having a functional website (Wayback machine saved a little more than a home page) with some useful info including technical details. Public beta was expected this fall, but then some disagreements within the team reached boiling point and one of the developers forked the project under the name . The rest of the team cotinued working on the original [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Project_Ascension/]Project Ascension with slightly modified objective. The website was stripped down, but they have said new one is in the making.
In some ways, that's worse because of what it says about the developers' attitude toward downtime and unexpected delays. They should have left the site up (possibly with an explanatory notice added) until the new one was ready.
The "ACCOUNT" button in the top navbar keeps disappearing randomly again, sometimes on the homepage, sometimes in the forums or other parts of the site, completely at random.

Part of me wishes GOG would just rewrite the entire website in the background for like a year non-stop without putting any of it online, completely able to do everything completely from scratch without any compatibility cruft, making the new site a completely responsive design and available only over TLS. There's a point where incremental improvements get buried in kludges and cruft that is hard to separate and clean up after a while and a clean break is needed. The site has been broken like this on and off for a few years, improves for a while then falls back into brokenness again.

Reporting the exact same issues endlessly that never seem to get fixed seems counterproductive somehow too. Really wish they'd just gut the site completely and start from scratch, with solid design processes, intense internal QA testing, etc. to end up with a robust design.
The current design has its roots in the Galaxy GOG client, so it's very unlikely that this will change.
Post edited December 26, 2015 by coffeecup
skeletonbow: The "ACCOUNT" button in the top navbar keeps disappearing randomly again, sometimes on the homepage, sometimes in the forums or other parts of the site, completely at random.
I wonder if by "disappearing" you mean there's nothing - not account nor sign up / log in buttons?
They don't appear when javascript crashes on initialization in your browser, so It would be really helpful if you would post (or chat to me) what is appearing in javascript console.

Btw. it's the Galaxy client design that have root in GOG I would say. ;)
Johny.: I wonder if by "disappearing" you mean there's nothing - not account nor sign up / log in buttons?
They don't appear when javascript crashes on initialization in your browser, so It would be really helpful if you would post (or chat to me) what is appearing in javascript console.

Btw. it's the Galaxy client design that have root in GOG I would say. ;)
The ACCOUNT button in the navbar just vanishes and is blank. I am logged in, but it does not show that in the bar. The way I know I'm logged in is that it tells me what games I own, and clicking to another page may cause the ACCOUNT button to show up randomly. In order to provide additional details however I'd have to wait until the problem happens again and I have time to gather the information. It's the same issue that has happened on and off for 2+ years though. May be caused by different things over time but visually the result is the same.