It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

nepundo: So no cracks involved. You can play as if you have your media in the optical drive. Only thing you have to do is mounting an image instead of putting a CD/DVD in the drive.

And of course you have to rip the ISO images before, but anyway you'll have to copy and store your games somewhere else than your CD/DVD's if you want to keep using them without an optical drive.
immi101: That definitely won't work with most copy-protections. Especially all those that require a kernel driver to do their dirty work.
So best bookmark some good crack sites if you want to get your old games to work ;)
Oh ok, so I was lucky with the first one I tried. Good to know, thanks :)
Gede: BTW, do you have an idea how big each version of Wine is?
adamhm: It varies depending on version, but currently it's a bit under 200MB for the latest 32-bit Staging release.
Oh, that seems to be a bit much. :-(
Please tell me it asks me before going ahead before installing a new one.

Gede: I know I may be a bit paranoid in here, but better safe than sorry. And I'm not sure of everything that noCD crack does. It can be some malware, virus, trojan, ransomware, backdoor, spy tool, botnet client, or it could just erase my files for fun. I remember having some really unstable windows system some 10 years ago, and some rouge software could explain it.
adamhm: It has never been a problem for me, even before I started using Mint. Still, I tend to replace them on GOG whenever possible & mostly run GOG games now.
Gede:
Oh, I should say I was referring to my Windows XP system. I did used to run some software of dubious origin there. Just some.

I have repurchased several games on GOG. I do feel that it is a somewhat stupid thing to do, but if I like the game and it is not expensive, I often times do it. But SEGA and Blizzard?

I recall using DaemonTools with success some times on my laptop (great tool). This time it seems I'll have to spend a few weekends ripping my legally purchased game disks and testing them out. (using what? I doubt dd would be enough) :-(
Or I could simply torrent a cracked version of the game and try it out on a safe sandbox environment (wich provides a larger surface to hide nasty things). Thanks a lot, copy-protection!

I wish the publishers would be forced to mention the presence of such measures on the box, but I don't even see them mentioning Steam some times.

Bringing the post back on topic, I wonder if Linux or Wine may choke on those SafeDisc or SecuROM tricks, even if running from the disc.
Gede: Oh, that seems to be a bit much. :-(
Please tell me it asks me before going ahead before installing a new one.
I don't think it's a bit much... especially when you consider that a Windows install uses around 10GB. The scripts download the specified Wine version automatically. Otherwise, it will only let you choose between the system's version of Wine & what you've already got downloaded.

Gede: I have repurchased several games on GOG. I do feel that it is a somewhat stupid thing to do, but if I like the game and it is not expensive, I often times do it. But SEGA and Blizzard?
There's nothing stupid about re-buying games here IMO. I do it for several reasons:

- The convenience of not having to mess about with loads of game discs (and often numerous patches) & being able to free up the physical space occupied by said game discs
- To have a complete & fully updated DRM-free version and not having to mess about with cracks
- More likely to run well in Wine
- To support GOG & encourage more DRM-free releases

(the extras GOG often provides are also nice to have)

That said, I almost never buy games with DRM & those that I do buy I only buy as complete editions at a steep discount or for next to nothing in bundles (and I will only tolerate Steam's DRM - UPlay, Origin, Denuvo etc are total deal breakers & I won't tolerate those even at free). And I generally don't buy newer games unless they have Linux support.

If publishers/developers don't bring their game here then they won't get much from me, if at all.

Gede: I recall using DaemonTools with success some times on my laptop (great tool). This time it seems I'll have to spend a few weekends ripping my legally purchased game disks and testing them out. (using what? I doubt dd would be enough) :-(
Or I could simply torrent a cracked version of the game and try it out on a safe sandbox environment (wich provides a larger surface to hide nasty things). Thanks a lot, copy-protection!
For my DRM'ed games I install them, then apply cracks & sort out any registry keys etc. they need and then zip the whole thing up for archival & easier installation in future.

Gede: I wish the publishers would be forced to mention the presence of such measures on the box, but I don't even see them mentioning Steam some times.
I don't often buy retail games any more, as they're almost always little more than a Steam/UPlay/Origin key plus an instruction leaflet with the game code & "manual on disc" text (or something along those lines) and an advertisement for DLC/"Season Pass" for the game and/or other games from the publisher.

Gede: Bringing the post back on topic, I wonder if Linux or Wine may choke on those SafeDisc or SecuROM tricks, even if running from the disc.
I'm certain that the variants that rely on installing system drivers & services won't work, and even if they do they'll most likely cripple performance due to the methods used to hinder attempts at cracking them.
Post edited August 25, 2016 by adamhm
adamhm: For my DRM'ed games I install them, then apply cracks & sort out any registry keys etc. they need and then zip the whole thing up for archival & easier installation in future.
Could you please elaborate? You zip the installation files with the auxiliary data, right? Although I suppose you could zip the entire Wine prefix, but that would not allow you to reinstall the game later.

Yeah, new games are not worth buying at stores. My latest purchase was Rome: Total War for less than 3 Euros, a few weeks ago.
adamhm: For my DRM'ed games I install them, then apply cracks & sort out any registry keys etc. they need and then zip the whole thing up for archival & easier installation in future.
Gede: Could you please elaborate? You zip the installation files with the auxiliary data, right? Although I suppose you could zip the entire Wine prefix, but that would not allow you to reinstall the game later.
I install the game and then apply any tweaks that are needed/recommended along with the crack before zipping the entire installation up in a ready to go (or almost ready) package.

e.g. my archive copy of Fallout 3 GOTY has been prepared with some .ini tweaks to reduce crashing, GFWL disabled (it causes the game to crash instantly even on Windows) and a cracked launcher. It needs a registry key to be set so I also exported that into a .reg file in the game's base directory. Then I zipped it all together.

Now to reinstall it all I need to do to is extract the archive into a Wine prefix, apply the .reg file and create the shortcut for the launcher (it doesn't need any additional components). This has the added benefit of not getting any extra junk like GFWL installed into the prefix :)
adamhm: I install the game and then apply any tweaks that are needed/recommended along with the crack before zipping the entire installation up in a ready to go (or almost ready) package.

e.g. my archive copy of Fallout 3 GOTY has been prepared with some .ini tweaks to reduce crashing, GFWL disabled (it causes the game to crash instantly even on Windows) and a cracked launcher. It needs a registry key to be set so I also exported that into a .reg file in the game's base directory. Then I zipped it all together.

Now to reinstall it all I need to do to is extract the archive into a Wine prefix, apply the .reg file and create the shortcut for the launcher (it doesn't need any additional components). This has the added benefit of not getting any extra junk like GFWL installed into the prefix :)
Curious idea... but why don't the regestry and shortcut remain? Do you know where Wine store that information?
Gede: Curious idea... but why don't the regestry and shortcut remain?
Because it's just the game directory

Gede: Do you know where Wine store that information?
Wine's registry is stored in the prefix's root directory
Gede: Do you know where Wine store that information?
adamhm: Wine's registry is stored in the prefix's root directory
But... is it share across all Wine prefixes?
adamhm: Wine's registry is stored in the prefix's root directory
Gede: But... is it share across all Wine prefixes?
No, each prefix has its own separate C: path, registry etc
adamhm: For AMD graphics cards, the available driver choices depends on the card you have. For their older (pre-GCN) graphics cards, the only option is the open source drivers as AMD are discontinuing their old proprietary Catalyst/fglrx drivers.

If you have a GCN-based graphics card (currently excluding GCN 1.0, although support for those is planned) then there are the new "AMDGPU" open source drivers and "AMDGPU-PRO" hybrid proprietary drivers (the latter of which offers Vulkan support as well as other features and better performance). These drivers are very new but are showing a lot of promise from what I've seen so far, however they are still in beta and have some issues.

I now have an AMD RX480 to test AMD's new drivers with, but unfortunately the current version of the new AMDGPU-PRO drivers (16.30.3) result in a blank desktop with only a mouse cursor shown :( Hopefully this will be fixed soon - I will update this if & when things change. I'd really like to be able to recommend AMD GPUs (and Nvidia really need the competition), but right now it's best to have an Nvidia GPU.

Other drivers:

It's rare that you will need to install drivers that aren't provided through the repositories, but it is occasionally necessary for some proprietary drivers or alternative/beta drivers. If you have to install drivers from other sources instructions are usually provided and proprietary drivers usually come with their own installers, but if you have issues you can ask other users for help.
The old drivers are not available anymore in Ubuntu 16.04. Any recommendations for a Linux system that has good driver support for AMD with GCN 1?
Eitot: The old drivers are not available anymore in Ubuntu 16.04. Any recommendations for a Linux system that has good driver support for AMD with GCN 1?
The old Catalyst drivers are not available because AMD no longer support them, because they had lots of issues/kept breaking and were generally a bit of a mess.

Unless you use a distro with an older kernel that the old Catalyst drivers will work with the only option for GCN 1 cards right now are the old open source drivers. The new AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO drivers are planned to have support for GCN 1 eventually though.
Eitot: The old drivers are not available anymore in Ubuntu 16.04. Any recommendations for a Linux system that has good driver support for AMD with GCN 1?
Unless you have a specific need for the Catalyst drivers, such as a game that requires OpenGL 4.2+, just stick with the open source drivers provided in Ubuntu 16.04. Performance wise I found they were better or at least equal to Catalyst with most games, which isn't saying much.

But if you really want to use Catalyst, I'd just use Mint 17.x.
MikeMaximus: Unless you have a specific need for the Catalyst drivers, such as a game that requires OpenGL 4.2+, just stick with the open source drivers provided in Ubuntu 16.04. Performance wise I found they were better or at least equal to Catalyst with most games, which isn't saying much.

But if you really want to use Catalyst, I'd just use Mint 17.x.
The problem is the compatibility with games. I found that some games just won’t launch. Not even Steam works without workarounds, because it misses particular libraries. I have to admit, I found it quite frustrating to install Ubuntu, because only very few games worked out of the box.
Eitot: The problem is the compatibility with games. I found that some games just won’t launch. Not even Steam works without workarounds, because it misses particular libraries. I have to admit, I found it quite frustrating to install Ubuntu, because only very few games worked out of the box.
Unfortunately the situation with AMD GPU drivers currently isn't great :/ The new AMDGPU drivers are supposed to be much better than both the old open source & proprietary Catalyst drivers, but they're still in beta & don't yet support GCN 1 (and in my experience with the RX480 they don't work with Mint yet).

You could use Mint 17.3 though, as the Catalyst drivers still work on that (just don't update the kernel past 4.2 IIRC).
Eitot: The problem is the compatibility with games. I found that some games just won’t launch. Not even Steam works without workarounds, because it misses particular libraries. I have to admit, I found it quite frustrating to install Ubuntu, because only very few games worked out of the box.
No question you'll run into more issues with the open sources drivers.

But once you apply the library work-around to Steam it's fine, including games.

And with GOG games just don't use GOG's "start.sh" scripts to launch games, that's almost guaranteed to fail with the open source drivers. Just launch the games directly from their binary, I never found a case where that didn't solve the problem when I was still using my R9 270. Installing a few extra libraries was the only side effect I noticed of going around start.sh.

I'm not sure exactly why the start scripts do not work with those drivers, probably the same reason Steam fails. It's a little beyond my current knowledge and I haven't really made an attempt to learn once I discovered how to get around it. :)
Post edited August 28, 2016 by MikeMaximus