It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

IAmSinistar: If your offer still stands, perhaps you can contact Dr. Schiebe about the CDV liquidation. Instead of focusing on Project Nomads like I did in my email, it might be better to ask (1) what games are included in the liquidation from the CDV games published, and (2) how one would make an offer for some or all of this catalogue. This would at least let us know what games are at stake and possibly how much the liquidation is expected to sell for (which in turn would give us an idea as to how likely some company is to pick it up).
Piranjade: Will do!
i know it's 2 month ago, but are there any responses from him?
Well done to tfishell on bring the harvest in today! Great work there mate.

As for games research in general, has anyone done research on <span class="bold">Millenia: Altered Destinies</span>? I came across it in my CD collection this morning and think it would be a rather smart release to have here. So few games deal with time travel, especially as creatively as this one does. Let me know if any of you has already begin the research, or conversely if you think it's a non-starter. If no to both, then I'll get the process rolling.
IAmSinistar: Well done to tfishell on bring the harvest in today! Great work there mate.

As for games research in general, has anyone done research on <span class="bold">Millenia: Altered Destinies</span>? I came across it in my CD collection this morning and think it would be a rather smart release to have here. So few games deal with time travel, especially as creatively as this one does. Let me know if any of you has already begin the research, or conversely if you think it's a non-starter. If no to both, then I'll get the process rolling.
Thanks man. :)

Well MobyGames says it was developed and published by Take 2, so unless something has changed, we'll have to wait for them to come aboard I assume.
Post edited March 06, 2014 by tfishell
tfishell: Well MobyGames says it was developed and published by Take 2, so unless something has changed, we'll have to wait for them to come aboard I assume.
I suspected as much. So essentially anything by Take 2 is locked out for now? A real pity if so.
SCPM: Well, I've found the rights to several 'lost' games, but I'm not ready to share that information publicly just yet. I sent an e-mail to Arek, hopefully he'll receive it when he wakes up tomorrow. :) But, spurred by my success, I've renewed my efforts and sent off a bunch of new queries:
- Chasm: The Rift - It would appear from information from an old interview with Igor Karev, that the developers don't have the rights anymore. G.T. Interactive was merely the distributor, the publisher was Megamedia Corporation, now closed. I've sent an e-mail to the former CEO, Raaj Menon asking about the situation.
- Heart of Darkness - Found Eric Chahi's e-mail address so I wrote to him. Hopefully, he still reads mails sent to that address.
Other than those, I've written to Konami about Nectaris and the Castlevania & Contra PC compilation, Games Workshop about Hero Quest, and I'm searching through Looking Glass Studios' court dockets for info on Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri. I'm also looking into how to approach Playmates about their old Playmates Interactive Entertainment brand and titles like Powerslave, and for a lead on Hexplore. I wrote to Playmates before, but it was so long ago, nobody seems to know where to look. =\
Chasm? Terra Nova? Powerslave? Hexplore? You have my interests! Was there anything more found on Strife? Apparently Tommo owns Eradicator and Redline which is exciting.

It would be nice if we could find out who owns Cyclones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners and Mageslayer. I have my suspicions but I'm not 100% sure. I was hoping that back when GOG got EA we'd see ShadowCaster.
tfishell: Well MobyGames says it was developed and published by Take 2, so unless something has changed, we'll have to wait for them to come aboard I assume.
IAmSinistar: I suspected as much. So essentially anything by Take 2 is locked out for now? A real pity if so.
As far as I know. The way my understanding has of game rights has evolved is that if the publisher is still active, it would require the publisher to come aboard to get the game here, essentially. Now of course there are various exceptions - maybe the original creators buy back the IP, like Rune (I think) - but that's generally how it works I think.

In the case of Harvester, the publisher - Merit Studios - went down and the various IPs went back to some of the creators. Harvester's rights went to Lee Jacobson (who was one of the main DigiFX guys), and it appears Night Dive tracked down a few of Merit's other IP holders, based on a recent post for some obscure classics.
Post edited March 06, 2014 by tfishell
I've passed on a few tips to Night Dive for underdog games that may need a publisher (stuff that I didn't necessarily follow through on myself) - Intracorp titles, the FMV game "Mode", and a few others - but they seem busy with their own stuff.
JKHSawyer: Chasm? Terra Nova? Powerslave? Hexplore? You have my interests! Was there anything more found on Strife? Apparently Tommo owns Eradicator and Redline which is exciting.

It would be nice if we could find out who owns Cyclones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners and Mageslayer. I have my suspicions but I'm not 100% sure. I was hoping that back when GOG got EA we'd see ShadowCaster.
For Strife, I would say that there has been some progress, but only time will tell. I sent 2 e-mails of what I could find to GOG last month, but it still sounds like it could be messy (i.e. rights to different parts of the game broken up between different rights-holders). We'll have to wait and see.
For Cyclones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners, and Mageslayer, it may be possible that Raven has the rights to those games depending on the publishing contract they had. I e-mailed them sometime ago and they said they would look into a GOG release for their games, but only stuff that was not based on licensed works. You can try sending an e-mail to some of the Raven staff if you'd like. But (going by who the publishers were according to MobyGames) it's possible that Ubisoft has the rights to Take No Prisoners and Cyclones, and EA might have the rights to Shadowcaster. Again, that's something that might need to be clarified with Raven first.

Sadly, I still haven't heard anything from anyone else I've contacted. I'll try a different venue of approach in a few more weeks. The closest thing I heard was from Konami, who wrote something to the effect of 'We'll keep note of your request' and 'We'd love to tell you our plans, but we can't. ;)' I really hope we can get these big Japanese publishers on GOG, especially after Hideo Kojima was saying that he's interested in seeing Metal Gear Solid V on PC:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/06/kojima-metal-gear-solid-v-could-come-to-pc-if-people-want-it/
So, anyone reading this who wants MGSV on PC (and even GOG), feel free to take some time to write/tweet/whatever to Konami / Hideo Kojima and prod 'em. Every little bit helps. :)
Has anyone ever looked into [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber:_Journeys_Beyond]Amber: Journeys Beyond?[/url]
It seems like a very good fit for GOG. The game was critically acclaimed (even winning an Adventure Game of the Year award), but sold poorly due to being from an unknown company and not having a very wide release.
pezhead53: Has anyone ever looked into [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber:_Journeys_Beyond]Amber: Journeys Beyond?[/url]
It seems like a very good fit for GOG. The game was critically acclaimed (even winning an Adventure Game of the Year award), but sold poorly due to being from an unknown company and not having a very wide release.
Found a lead, although I dunno if the game will run on modern machines since it's a non-DOS title. YouTube made it out to be a pretty interesting title though!
Post edited March 09, 2014 by tfishell
pezhead53: Has anyone ever looked into [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber:_Journeys_Beyond]Amber: Journeys Beyond?[/url]
tfishell: Found a lead, although I dunno if the game will run on modern machines since it's a non-DOS title. YouTube made it out to be a pretty interesting title though!
Wikipedia says it uses Macromedia Director, we had an old app that used that at work, it had a weird problem with its specs checking where it would see anything between, something like, 2 and 3Gb on board RAM as not enough but was happy above or below that! (I think it wanted 64Mb as min specs or something ridiculous)
It was possible to work around it though.
Never tried it on 64Bit, saying all that though...
tfishell: ...
Fever_Discordia: ...
Good news! Turnipslayerr thought Amber looked interesting, and will pursue it!
Post edited March 10, 2014 by tfishell
tfishell: Good news! Turnipslayerr thought Amber looked interesting, and will pursue it!
That's great! It's a good game and would be a nice addition here. I hope they have success securing it and getting it to play nicely with current OSes.
JKHSawyer: Chasm? Terra Nova? Powerslave? Hexplore? You have my interests! Was there anything more found on Strife? Apparently Tommo owns Eradicator and Redline which is exciting.

SCPM: For Strife, I would say that there has been some progress, but only time will tell. I sent 2 e-mails of what I could find to GOG last month, but it still sounds like it could be messy (i.e. rights to different parts of the game broken up between different rights-holders). We'll have to wait and see.
For Cyclones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners, and Mageslayer, it may be possible that Raven has the rights to those games depending on the publishing contract they had. I e-mailed them sometime ago and they said they would look into a GOG release for their games, but only stuff that was not based on licensed works. You can try sending an e-mail to some of the Raven staff if you'd like. But (going by who the publishers were according to MobyGames) it's possible that Ubisoft has the rights to Take No Prisoners and Cyclones, and EA might have the rights to Shadowcaster. Again, that's something that might need to be clarified with Raven first.

Sadly, I still haven't heard anything from anyone else I've contacted. I'll try a different venue of approach in a few more weeks. The closest thing I heard was from Konami, who wrote something to the effect of 'We'll keep note of your request' and 'We'd love to tell you our plans, but we can't. ;)' I really hope we can get these big Japanese publishers on GOG, especially after Hideo Kojima was saying that he's interested in seeing Metal Gear Solid V on PC:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/06/kojima-metal-gear-solid-v-could-come-to-pc-if-people-want-it/
So, anyone reading this who wants MGSV on PC (and even GOG), feel free to take some time to write/tweet/whatever to Konami / Hideo Kojima and prod 'em. Every little bit helps. :)
I would love to see the Silent Hill 2,3,4 with their original voices on GOG, but since Konami doesn't own rights for the original SH3 voice's, so we wont ever see SH3 with the original voices and i doubt they'll re-release those on any digital distribution.
Here's a series that might be worth looking into. If they do bring it here all 3 games should be bundled together like the Space Quest series.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/vote_for_the_carnivores_series