It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just wanted to say great work getting all this information together! Especially for those like me who are too lazy to try. :)
mistermumbles: You do realize Virgin Interactive went under quite a while ago. Not sure whether or not EA has the rights to the franchise, but it's a definite possibility since they gobbled up Westwood Studios a few years later. After all, the original LoL was published by Virgin too, and EA owns the latter nowadays.
tfishell: Lol, nope, I assumed it was still a part of Richard Branson's group. Thanks for the info, theoretically that would make it much easier to bring the games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Kyrandia actually claims it was published by Westwood, so maybe it does all rest in EA's hands now. (These just seemed like games that many people wanted, or at least a few vocal people.)
Looked into Kyrandia's rights and the folks at SummVM (who are trying to get the source code released) as well as the game's programmer Michael Legg both confirm that EA has the rights. That'd make a nice release here. :) Legg says that EA has the rights to all the Westwood titles.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra
http://www.petroglyphgames.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3096-did-any-of-you-guys-work-on-any-of-the-kyrandia-games/#entry65281
tfishell: Lol, nope, I assumed it was still a part of Richard Branson's group. Thanks for the info, theoretically that would make it much easier to bring the games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Kyrandia actually claims it was published by Westwood, so maybe it does all rest in EA's hands now. (These just seemed like games that many people wanted, or at least a few vocal people.)
SCPM: Looked into Kyrandia's rights and the folks at ScummVM (who are trying to get the source code released) as well as the game's programmer Michael Legg both confirm that EA has the rights. That'd make a nice release here. :) Legg says that EA has the rights to all the Westwood titles.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Kyra
http://www.petroglyphgames.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3096-did-any-of-you-guys-work-on-any-of-the-kyrandia-games/#entry65281
I find it pretty bizarre that those aren't here yet. All I can think of is something referred to on Wikipedia, "It was based in a fantasy setting called Fables & Fiends, which has not been used beyond the trilogy, and is partly based on a multiplayer game with the same name optionally available on Galacticomm's MajorBBS."

Would there be any legal issues because of the above?
tfishell: I find it pretty bizarre that those aren't here yet. All I can think of is something referred to on Wikipedia, "It was based in a fantasy setting called Fables & Fiends, which has not been used beyond the trilogy, and is partly based on a multiplayer game with the same name optionally available on Galacticomm's MajorBBS."

Possibly. From an interview with Rick Gush:
"There was an online text game of that name that Mike Legg and Brett Sperry were playing. I think Brett then bought the rights to the game. The jerk he bought it from came back later after Westwood was successful and tried to make a stink, but the court case was decided against him after several years of nasty wrangling."
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17522
I've tried e-mailing Brett Sperry before but have yet to hear from him.
Post edited August 17, 2013 by SCPM
tfishell: I find it pretty bizarre that those aren't here yet. All I can think of is something referred to on Wikipedia, "It was based in a fantasy setting called Fables & Fiends, which has not been used beyond the trilogy, and is partly based on a multiplayer game with the same name optionally available on Galacticomm's MajorBBS."

SCPM: "There was an online text game of that name that Mike Legg and Brett Sperry were playing. I think Brett then bought the rights to the game. The jerk he bought it from came back later after Westwood was successful and tried to make a stink, but the court case was decided against him after several years of nasty wrangling."
For f-ck's sake.
tfishell: Some more games from Abandonia; comments and opinions on them welcome:
North & South, from Infogrames/Atari
Was completely awesome, one of my favorite games ever. But it was one of those infogrames adaptations of famous french comic books (the totally excellent well-documented comical historical antimilitarist adventure series "les tunique bleues", in this case). I think this game has been released somewhere, maybe on mobile, with a few tweaks (graphics and texts) to suppress any references to the series, making it quite bland and ugly, and also absurd at some point.

For instance, the two main protagonists of the series are a hero-wannabee sergeant (Chesterfield) and a cunning pacifist cynical lieutnant (Blutch), and much of the humour comes to the latter's attempts to avoid fights (like training his horse to play dead at the sound of gunshot). If you lose with the north, in this game, you see a gritty battlefield with scattered corpses, and a little text commenting your defeat and wondering if they were "traitors" in your ranks. And then you can see Blutch giggle as he was playing dead to avoid the slaughter. The new version changes the text, if I remember well, making the giggle completely out of the blue.

If GOG gets this game, I hope it'll be the original version, with the better graphics, and not the one with the clumsily defaced protagonists. But the difficulty of securing the rights for the comics franchise may be a disproportionnate effort. I'd still prefer this game to NOT be here at all, rather than having this weirdy, ugly, graphically butchered version...
Post edited August 17, 2013 by Telika
Telika: snip
I was not aware of this alternate version floating around, and share your suspicion that the people behind its release either could not secure the rights to the bande dessinée which inspired it, or the rights were not financially attractive. I agree that it would be most desirable to have the unadulterated version here, even though there are always extra steps that need to be taken when dealing with any kind of licensed property.
Telika: ...
Thanks for the comments! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------

I believe I said this earlier, but I think I'm going to be slowing down on the research here. It can be fun, but I (and I'm sure others) have real life stuff to attend to. When Jade's husband gets the database up, then we'll be able to pool our efforts together more effectively.
Paperboy 1&2, from Mindscape
----- ("associated" with EA, possibly Ubisoft?)
Peppers Adventures in Time, from Mindscape
----- (Pepper + Willy Beamish bundle for 5.99?)
Peter Pan - A Story Painting Adventure, from EA
----- (kiddy, but looks imaginative)(Peter Pan is a public domain character, right?)
Phantasie III - The Wrath of Nikademus, from SSI
----- (Phantasie bundle?)(CGA-only)
Pizza Tycoon, from Microprose
Planetfall, from Infocom
----- (Infocom bundle)(remember the extras! lots included here)
Planets Edge, from New World Computing
Pool of Radiance, from SSI
----- (D&D liscense needed)
Prince of Persia 1&2, from Broderbund
----- (perhaps they're with Ubisoft?)
Prisoner of Ice, from Infogrames
More comments.

Peter Pan is indeed public domain, so there shouldn't be a licensing issue with the game (unless it was derived from a copyrighted derivative of the property, such as a movie or comic).

Phantasie III - The Wrath of Nikademus is easily the best of the trilogy, with the Amiga version once again visually superior. Not a bad gaming system for its time.

Planetfall - Another good Infocom game, and one which should be at least part of a sci-fi Infocom bundle (with Suspended, Leather Goddess of Phobos, etc). A portable Infocom interpreter engine was released years ago and works with pretty much all the game files, so the compatibility work needed to re-release these titles is minimal. Send me a PM if you want to check it out, and there has probably been an even better release since I found this many moons ago.

Planet's Edge was largely unfamiliar to me, but apparently is "from the creators of Might and Magic". Sounds like a decent strategy game, so a good candidate on that front too.

Pool of Radiance is a decent RPG, and being from the D&D stable has an automatic audience with good old gamers. Would be really attractive combined with the decade-later sequel, Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. This received mixed reviews, but I found it enjoyable (certainly equal to or better than The Temple of Elemental Evil). And the extras in the Ruins of Myth Drannor Collector's Edition (soundtrack, novel) would make good GOG bonuses.

Whilst on the topic of D&D licenses, I'd like to add the DOS game Blood & Magic. Forgotten by most, this is a D&D RTS, centering on the use of transformable golems. It had some issues and questionable AI, but still a worthwhile game, and it has the curiosity factor of being a (largely) non-RPG example of the license.

Prince of Persia 1 & 2 - Frankly surprised these aren't available everywhere already, seeing how much they do to keep the franchise alive. It's gotten more sequels and reboots than most comic book characters. I can only assume the marketing apparatus behind it either has no interest in releasing the games, or has forgotten they exist for any use apart from "then & now" comparisons.

Prisoner of Ice - More HPL games are a good thing. Opinions are more divided on this title than most Mythos games, but I come down in favour of it. A pretty brutal point-and-click puzzle adventure, with some nicely rendered eldritch horrors. I say bring it.

Lastly, your list is almost to it, and I've mentioned it already, but here's another appeal to get Pushover on board. It really is quite a good puzzle game, visually and aurally pleasing, and with a fresh and clever dynamic. I'm rather surprised the mechanics haven't been copied yet for a tablet game, seeing as most other classic puzzlers have been to one degree or another.
tfishell: Paperboy 1&2, from Mindscape
Peppers Adventures in Time, from Mindscape
----- (Pepper + Willy Beamish bundle for 5.99?)
Peter Pan - A Story Painting Adventure, from EA
----- (kiddy, but looks imaginative)(Peter Pan is a public domain character, right?)
Phantasie III - The Wrath of Nikademus, from SSI
----- (Phantasie bundle?)(CGA-only)
Pizza Tycoon, from Microprose
Planetfall, from Infocom
----- (Infocom bundle)(remember the extras! lots included here)
Planets Edge, from New World Computing
Pool of Radiance, from SSI
----- (D&D liscense needed)
Prince of Persia 1&2, from Broderbund
----- (perhaps they're with Ubisoft?)
Prisoner of Ice, from Infogrames
I'm pretty sure you could play the original Prince of Persia as an 'after you've completed it' bonus on Sand of Time (possibly console versions only, sadly, IIRC) so they must have had the rights at the time!

Also here's a Saturday Crapshoot of Pepper's Adventures in Time:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/12/saturday-crapshoot-peppers-adventures-in-time/
Post edited August 18, 2013 by Fever_Discordia
IAmSinistar: ...
Fever_Discordia: ...
Thanks for the comments (I will be posting those once I make a new list for them) and the PC Gamer article. :)

Here's a few more:

Pushover, from Ocean Software (Infogrames/Atari)
Quarky & Quaysoo's Turbo Science, from Sierra
Rags to Riches - The Financial Market Simulation, from Interplay
Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, from MicroProse
----- (depends if he bought back these rights, or they lie with Atari)
Rampage, from Activision
Rampart, from EA
Ravenloft - Strahds Possession, from Softgold Computerspiele GmbH
----- (now, Softgold was bought by THQ, but maybe GOG could still get this if Wizards of the Coast and Ubisoft made ----- a D&D agreement?)
Red Storm Rising, from Microprose
Return Of The Phantom, from Microprose
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender-Bender, from Microprose
Rick Dangerous, from Microplay (Microprose label) and Core Design
Rise of the Dragon, from Sierra
Risky Woods, from EA
Post edited August 18, 2013 by tfishell
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_Wendy#Copyright_status Peter Pan may not be public domain depending on which country you talk about and exactly what Peter Pan content you are discussing.
I'm curious if anyone knows what happened to the rights to Requiem: Avenging Angel.

The game was published by 3DO but I don't know if they actually held the IP -- unlike most beloved old games there's not been much discussion on who held the rights EVER. The developer may have held it.

Whoever has the IP isn't using it at ALL -- the trademark lapsed literally two years after release and has never been renewed or resubmitted.
Post edited August 18, 2013 by GhostQlyph
GhostQlyph: I'm curious if anyone knows what happened to the rights to Requiem: Avenging Angel.

The game was published by 3DO but I don't know if they actually held the IP -- unlike most beloved old games there's not been much discussion on who held the rights EVER. The developer may have held it.

Whoever has the IP isn't using it at ALL -- the trademark lapsed literally two years after release and has never been renewed or resubmitted.
The developer, Cyclone studios, was acquired by 3DO. When 3DO went under its assets went to Microsoft, Crave, Namco, Ubisoft, JoWood, Trip Hawkins, and the rest who knows where. I've e-mailed Trip Hawkins, and he says he doesn't know what happened to Cyclone's assets. As far as I can tell, JoWood, Microsoft, Namco, Ubisoft, and Crave only took one or two franchises each, Requiem not going to any of them. Mobygames has no credits for who worked on the game. I'm looking for those right now, as well as whoever handled the liquidation of 3DO. Shortly before going under, the company took a $10 million loan from IIG Capital, and put up all their assets as collateral. After the auction in August (which brought in about $4.5 million) either 3DO auctioned off the rights, or IIG Capital acquired them and likely sold them.
Edit: Found the credits, already sent some e-mails, so with luck we'll find out who has the game's rights.
Post edited August 19, 2013 by SCPM