It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ktchong: TellTale games - like the Walking Dead series - are just QTE events with barely any gameplay. TellTale game are actually choose-you-own-adventure visual novels. Yet they have outstanding stories and writings to carry them, so they still get rave reviews from crtics and users.

The Order: 1886 has a story... but it was a mediocre story, (i.e., I watched the whole game on YouTube.) The gothic steampunk Victorian setting is interesting, but the story and characters are, meh. Predictable and perfunctory. So if The Order 1886 was a "cinematic" and "story-driven" game, it was not a good one - because the story is weak.
While I quite agree with you with The Order: 1886, I'm not totally sold for your TWD views.

To me, the Telltale games are more "choose-minor-details-from-the-main-storyline" than "choose-you-own-adventure".
I don't know if it was enhanced with the new Telltale series, but in TWD, whatever you choose, THAT guy will die no matter what if it's in the script. If you try to save him/her, it will fail but hey, at least you have tried. If you ignore him/her, well, he/she will die.

And a lot of "decisions" are like that. It felt more like "cosmetic" decisions than anything else. The writing and the characters are great, that's for sure, but the choices... meh.
Post edited February 24, 2015 by Tza
ktchong: Do people here remember Lair, the first major "AAA" first-party exclusive for Playstation 3 that came out in 2007?
Heh, yep: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/09/03/what-people-are-saying

Adokat: Of course, the cinematic, QTE style that is present in many games is often done poorly. It's probably done wrong more often than right, but Telltale, for me, is a sign that a company can commit entirely to story, QTEs, and cutscenes and make it work really well.

My first point is that it should not be inherently dismissed, and we should instead evaluate those games based on what type of experience the game is trying to convey. The new Thief, for example, bugged the hell out of me with its cinematic emphasis and lack of complexity because it totally lost the experience of being a Thief, and if good gameplay is removed from a game, then it needs to be replaced by something just as strong. But I strongly disagree that 'gameplay' needs to be the major focus of allgames. There's room to try new things.
The fear I have is that game developers are using QTEs and cinematics as an end unto themselves: to attempt to wow the player with spectacle, or deliver on a specific artistic vision that would be better served by the medium of film, TV, or print than an interactive experience.

I suppose what I originally was talking above was not necessarily the use of QTEs/cutscenes vs. gameplay to tell a story, but the excessive abuse of restrictive QTEs/cutscenes, at the expense of gameplay. Telltale is an interesting case here, because the QTEs essentially are the gameplay, but in the case of the kind of game Telltale is shooting for, it makes perfect sense for it to be that way. The same goes for VNs too like Analogue. On top of all of that, Telltale's games (for the most part) make up for the deficiencies and limitations of the gameplay mechanics that they use with excellent writing and a good use of established IPs (Walking Dead, Fables, Game of Thrones, Borderlands, etc.)
rtcvb32: The ending probably. Specifically no matter what you did the sun went supernova and everyone dies...

I think... I have heard about the big fan base getting annoyed at the ending but i can't think of any way you'd stop a star from exploding...
Elenarie: I haven't played the game, but that right there is freaking awesome. For once the universe doesn't revolve around one super human master race godlike sex predator.
Elmofongo: At least the game succeeded in its multiple endings and how your choices matter....unlike Mass Effect 3.
Elenarie: What multiple endings and choices? Everybody says there is 0 replayability in the game.

Also, how is ME3 relevant to the crap that The Crap 2015 is?
Well I felt to derail the topic since I don't own a PS4 or this game.
Paradoks: Still, when it comes to irony nothing beats Remedy joking about Microsoft in Max Payne given their current position.
http://2dayhangover.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/strappado.jpg
ktchong: TellTale games - like the Walking Dead series - are just QTE events with barely any gameplay. TellTale game are actually choose-you-own-adventure visual novels. Yet they have outstanding stories and writings to carry them, so they still get rave reviews from crtics and users.

The Order: 1886 has a story... but it was a mediocre story, (i.e., I watched the whole game on YouTube.) The gothic steampunk Victorian setting is interesting, but the story and characters are, meh. Predictable and perfunctory. So if The Order 1886 was a "cinematic" and "story-driven" game, it was not a good one - because the story is weak.
Tza: While I quite agree with you with The Order: 1886, I'm not totally sold for your TWD views.

To me, the Telltale games are more "choose-minor-details-from-the-main-storyline" than "choose-you-own-adventure".
I don't know if it was enhanced with the new Telltale series, but in TWD, whatever you choose, THAT guy will die no matter what if it's in the script. If you try to save him/her, it will fail but hey, at least you have tried. If you ignore him/her, well, he/she will die.

And a lot of "decisions" are like that. It felt more like "cosmetic" decisions than anything else. The writing and the characters are great, that's for sure, but the choices... meh.
Choices are about discovering who you are, not necessarily the outcome.
Post edited February 24, 2015 by realkman666
realkman666: Choices are about discovering who you are, not necessarily the outcome.
You make choices based on the expected consequences. If you know that your choices are meaningless (and EVERYONE playing TWD should know that) there's no value to them. :P
Elenarie: I haven't played the game, but that right there is freaking awesome. For once the universe doesn't revolve around one super human master race godlike sex predator.
Don't worry, the world in Mass Effect does revolve around one super human master race godlike predator. It was Dragon Age 2 which dared to present pretty much the same ending to every player to show that there are much greater forces at play, and the only thing player really influenced were his companions (aside from one I suppose). Big surprise, outrage about ending.
realkman666: Choices are about discovering who you are, not necessarily the outcome.
F4LL0UT: You make choices based on the expected consequences.
Never, I just wing it!