It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

almabrds: LOL
The combat is bad, but the story is top-notch.
It more than compensates the flaws of the combat system imo.
If you think combat is more important than story in a cRPG, you shouldn't even have started playing Planescape. :)
If you had read reviews of the game you would know what to expect..
SirHandsome: I knew what to expect and liked what was good about it. But if an aspect of a game is bad then its a flawed game, hence overated.
If that's how it works, all games are overrated. Since no game is perfect.

"Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another."
Post edited September 25, 2016 by almabrds
SirHandsome: Planescape Torment- Great world and interesting characters brought down by crappy combat system.
If you think combat is more important than story in a cRPG, you shouldn't even have started playing Planescape. :)
The way I see it, the only games in which story should be more important than gameplay should be Visual Novels (which essentially have no gameplay in the usual sense). In any other genre, including (and perhaps especially) cRPGs, gameplay needs to be the most important thing.

It's no fun getting a nice new ability but being unable to use it because the game decided to throw a whole bunch of story sequences (or minigames, for that matter) at you.

Edit: If the combat were removed from Planescape: Torment, leaving just the story and things like puzzles and interaction with townspeople, would that make it a better or worse game?
Post edited July 27, 2016 by dtgreene
BioShock franchise has a few interesting things to show, like relationship between girls and big daddies in the first, the city in the clouds in Infinite which is a breathtaking sight, and Elizabeth.

But gameplay wise, the games are really dull.
Post edited July 27, 2016 by Densetsu
dtgreene: (or minigames, for that matter)
I consider minigames to be pointless gameplay that gets in the way of story and would be much happier if combat were simply removed from rpgs altogether, leaving me free to explore, interact and solve puzzles, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Total War Warhammer - Very Shallow and half full game.

Half content in game, the rest to make full game sold as DLC at overpriced prices for content that should have been in game in the first place.

And then those fanboys defend this game and go on as if it is the best game off all time.
SirHandsome: Planescape Torment- Great world and interesting characters brought down by crappy combat system.
If anything that makes Plancescape underrated, because the combat and gameplay is not as bad as people say. I played through the game 4 times in a row to test out the classes of the main char and I had a lot of fun with just the gameplay and combat. (you can get to crazy high levels solo, its awesome)
Post edited July 27, 2016 by jamotide
dtgreene: (or minigames, for that matter)
paigosa: I consider minigames to be pointless gameplay that gets in the way of story and would be much happier if combat were simply removed from rpgs altogether, leaving me free to explore, interact and solve puzzles, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
The way I see it, if you remove combat from an RPG, you can't really call the game an RPG any more; the resulting game is likely to be either a Visual Novel (if story is the only thing left) or a pure Adventure game (if the only thing left is exploration, interaction, and solving puzzles).

In other words, I think you should check out those genres I mentioned, as they are more or less an RPG minus the combat. I hear this site has a *lot* of adventure games for whatever reason.
jamotide: If anything that makes Plancescape underrated, because the combat and gameplay is not as bad as people say. I played through the game 4 times in a row to test out the classes of the main char and I had a lot of fun with just the gameplay and combat. (you can get to crazy high levels solo, its awesome)
Yeah, if he was talking about the real-time (which is the default mode) combat in Arcanum, I'd agree.
Because the combat is broken there.
But not in Planescape: Torment.
im going to have to go with witcher 3, which kills me to say it. waited a long time after release date to play it when I could clear my schedule and get immersed in it fully. Frankly, its boring me to tears, isnt fun and Im constantly having to fiddle with the controls to do the most basic game mechanics. drop dead gorgeous ...yes, but im leaving it to play something else.
paigosa: I consider minigames to be pointless gameplay that gets in the way of story and would be much happier if combat were simply removed from rpgs altogether, leaving me free to explore, interact and solve puzzles, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
dtgreene: The way I see it, if you remove combat from an RPG, you can't really call the game an RPG any more; the resulting game is likely to be either a Visual Novel (if story is the only thing left) or a pure Adventure game (if the only thing left is exploration, interaction, and solving puzzles).

In other words, I think you should check out those genres I mentioned, as they are more or less an RPG minus the combat. I hear this site has a *lot* of adventure games for whatever reason.
It appears we have once again landed in the never ending debate between those that talk to every npc they find just in case and those that return to town just long enough to trade all that random junk for slightly better gear.

I understand your point about adventure games but I am not aware of any set in the recent worlds of bioware, zelda and other action heavy games. If you know of any, I'll definitely make the jump.
Assassins creed series. the day i can walk over those shin high ledges is the day i'll play another one
jamotide: If anything that makes Plancescape underrated, because the combat and gameplay is not as bad as people say. I played through the game 4 times in a row to test out the classes of the main char and I had a lot of fun with just the gameplay and combat. (you can get to crazy high levels solo, its awesome)
almabrds: Yeah, if he was talking about the real-time (which is the default mode) combat in Arcanum, I'd agree.
Hey hey hey! We don't support hate speech here. Arcanum is a fantastic game.
almabrds: Yeah, if he was talking about the real-time (which is the default mode) combat in Arcanum, I'd agree.
Emachine9643: Hey hey hey! We don't support hate speech here. Arcanum is a fantastic game.
Hahah don't get me wrong, I love that game.
But I always change combat to turn-based when I start a new game.
The real-time combat is a total mess!
Every game that costs 4x as much as all the other games that were released around the same time, especially if they're downloadable then I find little justification for the price.
mintee: im going to have to go with witcher 3, which kills me to say it. waited a long time after release date to play it when I could clear my schedule and get immersed in it fully. Frankly, its boring me to tears, isnt fun and Im constantly having to fiddle with the controls to do the most basic game mechanics. drop dead gorgeous ...yes, but im leaving it to play something else.
Sound like the last two Witcher games to me.
Post edited July 27, 2016 by eksasol