It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time for another exciting anniversary here at GOG.COM! This month marks the 25th anniversary of the legendary FPS Quake.

First-person shooters are one of the most iconic genres of video games, and Quake was one of the series that helped lead that charge. Developed by id Software in 1996, the game builds upon the studio’s previous title, Doom, and offers players an updated game on the all-new Quake engine.

The studio also continued with its popular multiplayer introduced in Doom in 1993 and even revolutionized the way players connect and play online matches.

To celebrate, we wanted to highlight the Quake games that are available today at GOG.COM. Quake was originally released in 1996. Since then, several iterations of the game have come out, all building upon the success of previous titles. Today, there are four different Quake games available on GOG.COM. Take a look!

Quake: The Offering

The original Quake launched 25 years ago, in 1996. The innovative FPS built off of the success of id Software’s previous project, Doom. But Quake was a huge step forward for id. The newly developed Quake engine allowed id to make some huge leaps both graphically and mechanically with Quake.

Quake’s story mode sees the player navigate through a series of dark, Gothic levels. Levels have keys and levers that must be unlocked to progress to the next stage. Each level is filled with terrifying enemies that get progressively tougher as you raise the difficulty from easy to medium, hard, or even nightmare difficulty.

What really made Quake stand out as an FPS was its innovative multiplayer deathmatch. The multiplayer consists of now-familiar modes like free-for-all, one-on-one duels, and team deathmatch. You can use an arsenal of weapons to rocket jump your way around Quake’s crazy levels and blow up your friends over and over again!

Quake II: Quad Damage

Quake II was the next installment in the series, but it’s not a direct sequel. Originally launched in 1997, Quake II plays very similarly to its predecessor, with a few enhancements. Quake II was a huge leap from the original quake, with around 55 levels and a 64-player deathmatch!

Quake II: Quad Damage is our complete version of the game. Quad Damage comes with both mission expansions, The Reckoning and Ground Zero. These expansions add all-new single-player and deathmatch levels and an assortment of explosive new weapons.

This ultimate version of the game also includes the netpack, Extremities. This is a hand-picked list of mods from id Software itself. The mod pack includes amazing improvements, like new deathmatch objectives, powerups, and skins. Experience Quake II at its best with Quake II: Quad Damage!

Quake III: Gold

Quake III: Arena was id Software’s first departure in the series. While the gameplay is very similar, Quake III: Arena dives head-first into the popular multiplayer aspect of the series. While there is no single-player story like in the first games, you can still play Quake: III: Arena solo against increasingly difficult bots that simulate the multiplayer experience.

But this game is all about multiplayer. Developed on an all-new engine, Quake III: Arena builds on the success of previous multiplayer modes in Quake and delivers a well-rounded experience. With several modes, including Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, and the unique Freeze Rails mode, Quake III: Arena is an exciting focus on the multiplayer gameplay that made Quake what it is today.

Quake III: Gold gives you access to both the original game, as well as the game’s only official expansion. Quake III: Team Arena is an expansion focused on team play, adding three new weapons and various game modes. With even more exciting rocket jumps and overall weaponry, Quake III: Gold is an exciting multiplayer experience that fans of the series won’t want to miss out on.

Quake 4

Quake 4 is a bit of a return to form for the Quake series. This time around id Software teamed up with Raven Software and Activision to bring us an epic sequel to Quake II. Quake 4’s single-player campaign continues the story of Quake II, with players fighting back against an evil cyborg race called the Strogg.

Originally launching in 2005, Quake 4 gives fans an all-new campaign experience without compromising the innovative multiplayer that fans have grown to love. In addition to an epic invasion of the Strogg homeworld, Quake 4 continues the series’ reputation of having one of the most exciting multiplayer competitions in gaming.

Quake 4 multiplayer consists of popular modes like Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and Capture the Flag. Using the new id Tech 4 engine, Quake 4 combines the notable movement aspects found in previous Quake games with the additions of new elements, like teleporters and boosted physics that let you do things like bounce grenades off of jump-pads.

Quake turns 25!

Quake officially turns 25 years old this month! It has been quite a fantastic journey for the franchise over the last two decades. The series from id Software has grown to become one of the most beloved shooters of all time throughout several games and expansions.

If you’ve never had the chance to experience the Quake franchise or just want to revisit the series, now is the perfect time with any of these titles available on GOG.COM!

What do you think? Plan on checking any of these Quake games out? Let us know down in the comments!
Swedrami: How about some "good news" to go along with that:
Quake Reboot With Female Protagonist Rumored to Be in Development
GOGuser736: They should be forced to use Lucy from Quake 3 as the main character.
With Machine Games involved the female protagonist surely won't turn out an absolutely obnoxious twat either.
Nice that you remembered! :) First Quake is one of my favorite FPS games. I regularly come back to the game with different mods and source ports. It defends itself perfectly, especially in the era where retro shooters became a thing. A true legend and a major milestone in the FPS development. I wouldn't mind a reboot, which would take the game's heritage seriously.
Post edited June 23, 2021 by Sarafan
Darvond: In the interest of also contributing to this thread; here's a bunch of Quake Source Ports for you to do with as you see fit:
Here are two more:

Quakespasm-Spiked (aka: QSS) (recommended over the normal Quakespasm due to advanced features)
https://fte.triptohell.info/moodles/qss/

vkQuake2
https://github.com/kondrak/vkQuake2/releases
My family still has a Quake server that has been up for 16 years now. Quake 1 and 3 are my favorite. I recently picked up 2 but it was not my cup of tea.

We have a LAN event coming up, will give some of the new maps of Quake 1 a shot in celebration.
Arcadius-8606: My family still has a Quake server that has been up for 16 years now. Quake 1 and 3 are my favorite. I recently picked up 2 but it was not my cup of tea.

We have a LAN event coming up, will give some of the new maps of Quake 1 a shot in celebration.
Q1 & Q3 are you faves, you say? A man of culture no doubt!
Still running Quake server to this very day? I salute the grandeur of thine enterprise!
Berzerk2k2: Here are two more:

Quakespasm-Spiked (aka: QSS) (recommended over the normal Quakespasm due to advanced features)
https://fte.triptohell.info/moodles/qss/

vkQuake2
https://github.com/kondrak/vkQuake2/releases
Yo, thanks. Those will be useful for users to note.
Oh, heck yes! I can go for some new Quake SP-campaign game.

Sure, Quake 1 & 2 were classics for SP-based old-school campaigns (yep, and MP too) - but I also really enjoyed Quake 4 & its campaign too.

I really dig SP-style campaigns and games.

I'd love to see what MachineGames can do w/ this, as the Wolfenstein Reboots (except Youngblood) were awesome.

EDIT:
Also, Quake 1 and Duke Nukem 3D were my first Windows PC games on my 1st Windows PC - so yeah, I'd love to see more games from that era & franchises return.

Also enjoyed some MechWarrior 2: Mercs back in the day too. Glad to have played a bit of MW5: Mercs in Game Pass a bit ago and need to get around to buying that.

Good days and good times.
Post edited June 23, 2021 by MysterD
low rated
Female protagonist? MachineGames involved? Hard pass.
I remember that I originally purchased Quake because the music and sounds were done by Trent Reznor of NIN. I believe I still have the game unwrapped in the original box.
GOG.com: Feeling old yet?
I've aged quite considerably waiting for NightDive's Enhanced Edition that was promised last year.
GOG.com: The legendary Quake turns 25 this month. Feeling old yet?
25 years? Feeling old?
I wish, I was that young again.
Make that just over 26 years now, and us GOG faithful never really got to celebrate, since the Enhanced Edition never turned up here. I guess we are seen as second class DRM-Free gamers and don't really matter.
People you play with can make you feel young again ^
''Quake 4 is a bit of a return to form for the Quake series.''
Is still the biggest lie on this forum
Linko64: ''Quake 4 is a bit of a return to form for the Quake series.''
Is still the biggest lie on this forum
Seriously... did whoever wrote that play any Quake game at all?

This statement would be like saying "Fallout 4 is a return to the series' roots".