It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

vanchann: Game: Sid Meier’s Civilization IV: The Complete Edition

WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10158

Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah x86_64
Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic
Card: GeForce GT 330M
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 330M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.98
Wine version: wine-1.9.23 (wine-devel amd64).

Install notes: I installed directx9 through winetricks.

How well does it run: Perfectly, but I haven't tested it much.

Details: The game needs native libraries for sure. It doesn't play on a clean prefix.
I installed the full directx9 in a hurry, but logically just d3dx9_36 would be enough as AppDB suggests.

The installation took more than an hour on my system. It isn't easy to test it again.
Unless this version somehow works better than the retail one, I would strongly recommend to install MSXML3 as native, as written about here in the sub-forum: https://www.gog.com/forum/sid_meiers_civilization_series/to_play_on_linux/page1

Without this, there will probably/certainly be issues with a black screen/map, particularly after certain technologies/wonders (Stonehenge, Math).

With that component, however, the game ran perfectly for me, and I've put in thousands of hours.
vanchann:
Pangaea666:
Thanks.
I don't have much time to play lately, so I don't know if this issue will eventually appear.
I've updated my post with your recommendation.
Brainzyy: Can someone check out Star Ruler 2, I can't seem to get it to work.
vanchann: Hi,
doesn't the Linux native version work on your system? What is your distribution?

I can confirm that it runs fine on Mint 18 64-bit and if I remember correctly I had the game running on Debian 64-bit and Mint 17.3 64-bit too.

The hardware requirements for the game are low, but make sure your system satisfies them.
Check if all the required libraries are there. The easiest way is with ldd command on the elf file. See attachment for the 64-bit elf and libraries (it's a text file, but I had to rename it as an image to upload it).

If you experience segmentation faults, chances are that at least one of the included libraries is incompatible with your system. In that case you need a debugger (gdb) to figure it out and then replace it.
I'm using macOS, so the Linux version doesn't work for me.
UnrealQuakie: so I might do a linux pc build as a side thing to learn how to use linux and such, Now will games like my unreal tournament 3 and quake 3 arena and doom series on it? I am thinking ubuntu?
JudasIscariot: Hmmm.

If you want to remain bloat free but you don't want a distro where you have to wait months just to get an update for ONE package, then I can highly recommend Antergos.

You get all the latest *stable* updates and you can customize your installation since the OS is installed via a net install.

In short, you get the best of both worlds: the rolling update model of Windows (if you like that kind of thing) that you can customize (you can tell your package manager to ignore certain updates) and you get the overall customization that you get with Linux :D

Or you can even try Arch Anywhere :D
I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
JudasIscariot: Hmmm.

If you want to remain bloat free but you don't want a distro where you have to wait months just to get an update for ONE package, then I can highly recommend Antergos.

You get all the latest *stable* updates and you can customize your installation since the OS is installed via a net install.

In short, you get the best of both worlds: the rolling update model of Windows (if you like that kind of thing) that you can customize (you can tell your package manager to ignore certain updates) and you get the overall customization that you get with Linux :D

Or you can even try Arch Anywhere :D
UnrealQuakie: I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
I use it as my only OS. Couldn't be happier :) You probably know this already but I would recommend setting up a virtual machine for it to try it out before you install it completely on your PC :)
UnrealQuakie: [snip]

I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
Judas introduced me to Antergos as well, and I definitely have to second his recommendation after having used it for a while now.

Got the standard Gnome install on one of my faster machines, but it also works well on a lower specced laptop, where I've used the XFCE desktop.
Brainzyy: I'm using macOS, so the Linux version doesn't work for me.
I see, I haven't imagined that, since masOS generally has better support than Linux.

I had tried to run the game in the past - in a case similar to yours - on FreeBSD using wine, without success. I don't remember if it even could start!

Wine on FreeBSD has more limitations compared to Linux though. On the other hand FreeBSD and masOS are relatives and share much code.

I think the best results for you would come from a macOS wine test. If no macOS user can help you though, I'll try again on FreeBSD or Linux, when I'll have the time.
UnrealQuakie: [snip]

blakstar: Judas introduced me to Antergos as well, and I definitely have to second his recommendation after having used it for a while now.

Got the standard Gnome install on one of my faster machines, but it also works well on a lower specced laptop, where I've used the XFCE desktop.
Thanks for having my back :D
UnrealQuakie: I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
Just a note to everyone: the distro wars are off-topic for this thread (yes, I participated :P). We are getting a bit chatty with it so let's move it back more Wine focused. Thanks all.
JudasIscariot: ...
So Star Ruler 2, does it?
You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
Post edited December 07, 2016 by Gydion
Gydion: So Star Ruler 2, does it?
Gydion: You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
Sorry, forgot about that. I'm running macOS Yosemite on a 2.5 ghz i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6750m with 512MB of vram. I tried Wine 1.9.23 (both 32 and 64bit) and Wine 1.9.24. I tried to winetrick dotnet40 and vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012. (Because it appears the installer tries to install those).

EDIT: I posted this on my wrong account, but this is in fact, Brainzyy.
Post edited December 07, 2016 by drpaulthetall
Gydion: You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
If I use the GOG installer on Wine-git, I can start up the game and try to download an update but then it crashes with what looks like something related to OpenAL...

You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
drpaulthetall: Sorry, forgot about that. I'm running macOS Yosemite on a 2.5 ghz i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6750m with 512MB of vram. I tried Wine 1.9.23 (both 32 and 64bit) and Wine 1.9.24. I tried to winetrick dotnet40 and vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012. (Because it appears the installer tries to install those).

Hi there,

I ran the installer on a clean 32-bit Windows prefix and I did not see it attempt to install anything .NET related. I did see it install vc 2008 and 2012.

I am not sure where that .NET came up for you but it's rather odd that it did. You should be able to see if the installer comes with a .NET redistributable by unpacking it with innoextract :)
Post edited December 07, 2016 by JudasIscariot

JudasIscariot: If I use the GOG installer on Wine-git, I can start up the game and try to download an update but then it crashes with what looks like something related to OpenAL...
drpaulthetall: Sorry, forgot about that. I'm running macOS Yosemite on a 2.5 ghz i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6750m with 512MB of vram. I tried Wine 1.9.23 (both 32 and 64bit) and Wine 1.9.24. I tried to winetrick dotnet40 and vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012. (Because it appears the installer tries to install those).

JudasIscariot: Hi there,

I ran the installer on a clean 32-bit Windows prefix and I did not see it attempt to install anything .NET related. I did see it install vc 2008 and 2012.

I am not sure where that .NET came up for you but it's rather odd that it did. You should be able to see if the installer comes with a .NET redistributable by unpacking it with innoextract :)
I'm sorry, my bad again. I just saw the vcrun stuff, the .net stuff was just a try. Sorry for all my fuckups.
JudasIscariot: If I use the GOG installer on Wine-git, I can start up the game and try to download an update but then it crashes with what looks like something related to OpenAL...

Hi there,

Brainzyy: I'm sorry, my bad again. I just saw the vcrun stuff, the .net stuff was just a try. Sorry for all my fuckups.
Don't worry about it :) I was just wondering where did those extra .NET redistributables come from all of a sudden :)

I downloaded the new version on Linux. So I tried the Windows version too.
Mint 18 64-bit, wine-1.9.24 (devel). I used a clean 32-bit prefix set to Windows XP.

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 winecfg
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 wine setup_star_ruler2_2.4.0.5.exe
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 wine setup_star_ruler2_wake_of_the_heralds_2.2.0.3.exe
The game's installer has added vcrun2010 to wine prefix.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_star_ruler_2 sh winetricks list-installed
Using winetricks 20160724 - sha1sum: 263130014d4ca7ea29c0b345a86115bda93f58a1 with wine-1.9.24
vcrun2010
The game works fine without any other addition. I started the tutorial and all seem to work.

Maybe macOS wine is closer to FreeBSD wine. If I'll have the time later I'll test again on FreeBSD.
Post edited December 07, 2016 by vanchann