It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Does Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen work well on Linux? I see it's on sale now, and a pretty nice sale too. I've heard good things about the game, but sadly it is Windows-only.
Pangaea666: Does Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen work well on Linux? I see it's on sale now, and a pretty nice sale too. I've heard good things about the game, but sadly it is Windows-only.
According to WineDB, it ranges from "Gold" rating (pretty good; likely playable with only minor issues) to "Platinum" rating (excellent; likely playable from beginning to end with barely no bugs, if any at all):
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17325
Mind the reported tests are somewhat old (2017~2020), and only 3 were reported in total.

And in case WineDB does not suffice, on ProtonDB, it has an average rating of Gold, and while ProtonDB bases off the other version (to mods: no trying to advertise anything), perhaps it could be used to get an idea if the GOG version functional or not under compatibility layers, since Proton is based on Wine and the build on GOG might be close enough to the one over there.
Pangaea666: Does Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen work well on Linux? I see it's on sale now, and a pretty nice sale too. I've heard good things about the game, but sadly it is Windows-only.
It works perfectly, I've personally finished the game twice, both times running on Wine.
Game: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Version: 1.0.0.18
Installer MD5
• setup: 48188046ce225684f43a3ca455c633f0
• bin1: cdb1b208fc0bc0366174ed42328b7744
• bin2: 0ca51b5dc8d87a441e93618850a25725
• bin3: 9b07143ab245145a3a72d902f0b09c8b
• bin4: ce69e5029562d994ee8af1106c7075d9
• bin5: 2885913f09aae1049fae051036181906

Distro: Pop_OS 20.10 | GNOME | 64-bit
Kernel version: 5.11.0-7633-generic
Graphics card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 580
Wine version(s) tested: wine-6.13 (Staging)
WineHQ link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17325

Install Notes:
• 32-bit wine prefix installed via GameHub.
• I ran it with DXVK

How does it run:
The game run perfectly, finished the whole game twice
Note that I didn't used thee online components of the game.
Post edited June 25, 2022 by DaiKaiser93
DaiKaiser93: It works perfectly, I've personally finished the game twice, both times running on Wine.
Thank you kindly for the report. I bought the game but haven't played it yet. Simply easier to play around with games that work natively, and I happened to start playing Stardew Valley again. But it's great to see Dragon's Dogma will work very well on Linux. Does the pawn system work as intended too btw? I read somewhere, maybe it was in some user reviews, that it didn't work on the GOG version. The "sort of" multiplier section of hiring out and in pawns from other users.
DaiKaiser93: It works perfectly, I've personally finished the game twice, both times running on Wine.
Pangaea666: Thank you kindly for the report. I bought the game but haven't played it yet. Simply easier to play around with games that work natively, and I happened to start playing Stardew Valley again. But it's great to see Dragon's Dogma will work very well on Linux. Does the pawn system work as intended too btw? I read somewhere, maybe it was in some user reviews, that it didn't work on the GOG version. The "sort of" multiplier section of hiring out and in pawns from other users.
If you mean the whole online component, I don't know, I never play games online.
Pangaea666: Thank you kindly for the report. I bought the game but haven't played it yet. Simply easier to play around with games that work natively, and I happened to start playing Stardew Valley again. But it's great to see Dragon's Dogma will work very well on Linux. Does the pawn system work as intended too btw? I read somewhere, maybe it was in some user reviews, that it didn't work on the GOG version. The "sort of" multiplier section of hiring out and in pawns from other users.
For the online to work you need to have galaxy installed which is not available for Linux. Plus even the windows version is broken according to people.
alexandros050: For the online to work you need to have galaxy installed which is not available for Linux. Plus even the windows version is broken according to people.
Thanks, then that part doesn't work. I wouldn't want GOG bloatware even if it did work for Linux. From what I've read about the game, that pawn system sounded interesting, but I'll get by without it. I don't play games online either, but this sounded kinda different, not really multiplayer.
Post edited June 26, 2022 by Pangaea666
alexandros050: For the online to work you need to have galaxy installed which is not available for Linux. Plus even the windows version is broken according to people.
Pangaea666: Thanks, then that part doesn't work. I wouldn't want GOG bloatware even if it did work for Linux. From what I've read about the game, that pawn system sounded interesting, but I'll get by without it. I don't play games online either, but this sounded kinda different, not really multiplayer.
You can play the game without them..There are offline pawns in the city and traveling on the road..Plus there is a mod that edits offline pawn so you can increase their level and etc.
Game: Kane and Lynch: Dead Men
Version: 1.0.0.129 (53697)
Installer MD5:
2ca38ae20356b28801528bcec9c1b366 setup_kane_and_lynch_dead_men_1.0.0.129_(53697)-1.bin
06ce4661de238e0858b503d6d677f861 setup_kane_and_lynch_dead_men_1.0.0.129_(53697)-2.bin
da04f0eca0fbf762d2414de0e1a2adfb setup_kane_and_lynch_dead_men_1.0.0.129_(53697).exe

Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 | Cinnamon | 64-bit
Kernel version: 5.15.0-41-generic
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 470.129.06
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 6.15 + d3dx9
WineHQ AppDB link: game link

Install notes: Installs correctly.
How well does it run: It works fine, d3dx9 added. Decent performance (played at maximum settings). The game has been completed. The problem is error occurring after every single chapter is finished – I had to re-launch the game, go to campaign menu and select a next chapter to continue. A bit frustrating, but definitely not game-breaking.
Details: I'm using PlayOnLinux (without their predefined scripts).
Game: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Version: n/a
Installer MD5: n/a

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 6.15 + d3dx11
WineHQ AppDB link: game link

How well does it run: It works fine, d3dx11 added. Good performance. The game has not been finished (completed ~50%), but only because of difficulty level ;) Works like a charm. Upgraded Linux kernel and Nvidia drivers a few times, without any impact on the game running without any issues.
Game: Distraint 2
Version: 1.3
Installer MD5: ad35dec90d9a36286e8bca6e96205805 setup_distraint_2_1.3_(45343).exe

Wine version(s) tested: Wine 6.15
WineHQ AppDB link: none

How well does it run: It works well. Pure Wine used, no additional libs. I've completed the game. It crashed once, but run well after restart and never caused any problems again.
Game: Call of Juarez
Version: ?
Installer MD5: ?

Kernel version: 5.15.0-46-generic
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 470.141.03
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 6.15 + DX10
WineHQ AppDB link: game

How well does it run: Almost perfect. I've faced a few small graphical artifacts (no impact on gameplay). Once it loaded grass incorrectly, which caused a lot of black boxes – the problem disappeared after restart. Other than that it was perfect. I suppose it's system-irrelevant, this game is just a bit buggy. I've played dx10 version (which is a bit enhanced in terms of graphics) – it looks really great considering it's 2006; aged well.
Pangaea666: Thanks, then that part doesn't work. I wouldn't want GOG bloatware even if it did work for Linux. From what I've read about the game, that pawn system sounded interesting, but I'll get by without it. I don't play games online either, but this sounded kinda different, not really multiplayer.
Just saw this and wanted to note that you -can- install GOG Galaxy in Wine.
I don't want it there generally, so I install it on a per-prefix basis when I feel a game really needs it.

For Dragon's Dogma, I installed the game from the offline installer first and after a few hours I missed the shared pawn system. So I installed Galaxy into the same prefix, logged in, and then manually added the already-installed game.

To re-enable online mode, start the game from Galaxy, get to main menu, go into settings, switch offline to online.
Worked perfectly.

Wine Version: lutris-GE-proton7-20-x86_64

Two things to note:
• Galaxy doesn't always start up on the first try -- sometimes you have to start it 2 or 3 times before it fully fires up
• Running the game with Galaxy changes something about the base install, and it wouldn't startup for me -without- Galaxy after having done so... so make a backup or start in a new prefix if you want to compare the installs

As for DDDA itself:
• Windowed mode doesn't work for me, but fullscreen worked perfectly well (and doesn't crash on Alt+Tab)
• Playing with a DS4 controller didn't map correctly, so I'm using sc-controller to simulate xbox
• I've only had a few crashes across about 300 hours of play -- so no worse than on Windows
Galaxy has largely worked in Wine for a long time, but the overlay can interfere with mouse input or cause other problems in some games. Apparently click-through overlays in general are a tricky area: https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/wt3qsc/comment/il5p33w/