It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Themken: Trying to get Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos to work. Keep getting error messages that a suitable 32bit GST mpeg-1 level 3 decoder is needed. No matter what I install, the voices in game are silent :-( The voice files are in .wav format. A bit sad now and kind of out of ideas.
Not sure why I'm asking, but Wine version, distro, etc. Are the logo/intro videos playing? All videos played fine for me, with audio. In-game what's his name started speaking unintelligibly. It was cut off or too fast. Simply, winetricks -q quartz took care of that. Voices working fine now.
Clean, 32-bit prefix with Wine 5.6. I also have the assorted i386 gstreamer libs installed.
SHA256: 51c5c77ff7dcede000d8e81daadb4cb3804d20ebb2b8ef1235ea6d98256abcf1 setup_independence_war2_2.1.0.9.exe

Themken: Also, first person PoV in Mount & Blade is broken and has been for half a year at least on the latest Wine development releases.
Which Mount & Blade? The first one or...?
Post edited April 28, 2020 by Gydion
Gydion:
wine --version
wine-5.7
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 DRM 3.36.0
5.6.7-1-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.5
Videos work 100% fine with sound at correct level and clear. Game works fine in a window. Fullscreen maybe works except it does not switch to it :-( so unplayable but filling my screen with a window is almost better as the game has always hated ALT-Tabbing. Game speed is spot on for me (I read it is a common problem with it being too slow or too fast) and all game sounds are perfect but Clay (giving you the tutorial in the beginning) is totally silent. I could just read the text so it is playable, in a fashion. Tested a bit of combat and that works perfectly too.

------
Yes, the very first Mount & Blade. I guess I should try my way backwards to find which version breaks it. It is also a bit more crash prone and shows terrain guidelines behind transparent popup infos/menus. Nothing that actually stops me from playing, which is the important thing.
Themken: Keep getting error messages that a suitable 32bit GST mpeg-1 level 3 decoder is needed.
Do you have libmpg123:i386?
WinterSnowfall: Do you have libmpg123:i386?
I thought that was like the second thing I installed but cannot find it now. Looking and going to try adding it again.

WTH?! Now it cannot find it at all :-(
Post edited May 01, 2020 by Themken
Themken: WTH?! Now it cannot find it at all :-(
I guess it's called lib32-mpg123 under Arch. I'm a Debian&Co. guy though, as you know.
Post edited May 01, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall:
Yes, now I found it and yes, that is one of the first two things I installed when trying to solve this. Now I learnt something new: Even things like this can be named differently.

I just might change back to Mint when version 20.0 comes out (June probably). That comes with the 5.4 kernel that I really want.
Hmm, I tried it in wine and crossover. In wine-staging (5.2) it crashed when starting a new game while showing a loading progress bar. In crossover, it initializes a new game successfully, but then also crashes (I guess, when in-game voices are played for the first time). The intro and instant action work fine though.
Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cat is running fine with wine 5.0, mesa 19.1.6 (AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10, DRM 3.32.0, 5.2.13-200.fc30.x86_64, LLVM 8.0.0) (0x67df)). I also installed dxvk 1.6, although I'm not sure that was necessary; I did test the game before installing dxvk and it seemed to run OK but I didn't play it past getting control of the MC after the first cutscene.

There's a ton of loading lag early on and in new areas but I think it goes away over time as the shader cache gets populated. (Also viewing security cameras seems to have loading lag that doesn't really go away..)

I think the game froze on me once, at a cutscene, but was fine after reloading. Also I've had sounds go into a loop once or twice; again fixed by reloading.
Post edited May 02, 2020 by clarry
Themken: I just might change back to Mint when version 20.0 comes out (June probably). That comes with the 5.4 kernel that I really want.
I'm running a 5.0 kernel on Mint 19.3 just fine, but updating to 5.3.0 caused kernel panics every few hours. Still not sure why, as nothing made it to the logs. Hopefully 5.4 will be more stable.
Themken: Also, first person PoV in Mount & Blade is broken and has been for half a year at least on the latest Wine development releases. Trying it instantly freezes the picture for me and it starts moving again when I change back. It is seldom needed thankfully but some players probably prefer it to third person PoV.
So, I tried this with clean, 32-bit prefix with Wine 5.7 (no overrides) and it seemed to work fine. Are you using any mods? Does it still occur if you start a new game? In case it's something with your current save. The game didn't appear to do anything special when changing to first person. Also, I was on foot when I tried it.

Themken: Videos work 100% fine with sound at correct level and clear. Game works fine in a window. Fullscreen maybe works except it does not switch to it :-( so unplayable but filling my screen with a window is almost better as the game has always hated ALT-Tabbing. Game speed is spot on for me (I read it is a common problem with it being too slow or too fast) and all game sounds are perfect but Clay (giving you the tutorial in the beginning) is totally silent. I could just read the text so it is playable, in a fashion. Tested a bit of combat and that works perfectly too.
Retested with a clean, 32-bit prefix with Wine 5.7 and winetricks -q quartz. Clay speaks correctly. I only tried it fullscreen. Do the 32bit GST mpeg-1 level 3 decoder errors actually occur when Clay speaks? I wouldn't think WAVs would go through mpeg-1, but I didn't attempt to look at the logs.
Post edited May 03, 2020 by Gydion
Gydion:
Helpful, thank you. This makes me think either my installation is slightly broken or something like the Steam libraries are interferring.
Game: X3: Terran War Pack
Version: 3.4 (32-bit)
WineHQ AppDB Link: 3.2 (most recent available)
Installer MD5:
570f6d88f850912852046bda150ce220 setup_x3_terran_war_pack_3.4_(17049).exe
d904068fe35e09ecdc8dbf63fa410877 setup_x3_terran_war_pack_3.4_(17049)-1.bin
7a2e799a9bfe4b37b85933abc9522975 setup_x3_terran_war_pack_3.4_(17049)-2.bin

Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" | Cinnamon | 64-bit
Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTX 670
CPU: Intel i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz × 6
Wine Version: Wine Staging 5.6

Install Notes:
32-bit wine prefix.
Packages: gstreamer1.0-libav:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly:i386
Winetricks: amstream devenum quartz wsh57 wmp10
Extras: Microsoft ActiveMovie - "amov4ie.exe" available from PlayOnLinux or Lone Wolf $cripts (installed last)

How does it run:
1) Everything seems functional, including video, and in-game voice audio, but I only played about 10 minutes for testing.
2) Tested on max settings, both "fullscreen" and "borderless", with and without a virtual desktop.
3) Sometimes requires Alt+Tab to get into the game after startup, due to the the intro popup stealing startup focus.

Details:
1) Full write-up (installation guide) available here.
2) Yes, there's a native Linux version, but people have been complaining about it for so long the writeup seemed worth the effort.
3) Updating the wine prefix with a new version of wine may require re-installing ActiveMovie.
4) An up-to-date Winetricks is required, as the Ubuntu repo version fails to properly install wmp10.
5) Seems to work well with or without DXVK.
6) Thanks to WinterSnowfall for re-peaking my interest in getting this running and passing along his working setup. Much appreciated.
Post edited May 04, 2020 by xixas
Game: Field of Glory: Empires
Installer MD5s: setup_field_of_glory_empires_1.1.0.0_(36305).exe = 71851a440716ad6902109bc79001e7a0
WineHQ AppDB link: n/a
CodeWeavers link: field-of-glory-empires

Distro: Slackware 64 Current (14.2+)
Desktop: KDE 4.14.38
Kernel version: x86_64 Linux 5.4.32
Graphics card: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.32, LLVM 10.0.0)
Wine version(s) tested: wine 5.2 (Staging)

Install notes:

Just install normally with wine.

How well does it run:

The game works in a clean 32 bit prefix without any overrides. The Slitherine launcher has a slightly annoying problem in that if you misclick, its window sticks to the mouse pointer, and the only way to get rid of it is to close it. I haven't tested the multiplayer mode. The game works perfectly, including the integration with Field of Glory II (I completed an entire playthrough till achieving victory). Note that despite low system requirements, turn resolution can take time, especially in later stages of the game.
What's the current state of Bloodstained? Does it run well in Wine?

(Also, does the game drain your battery significantly? I want to know to gauge whether I would have to worry about my desktop overheating; games like Hollow Knight and Crosscode can make it overheat and throttle, while Timespinner and Celeste do not, but then again, those 4 games run without Wine.)
Game: Field of Glory: II
Installer MD5s: setup_field_of_glory_ii_1.5.23_(34210).exe = af80bad32c0b7e39a8137db218697026
WineHQ AppDB link: Retail/Download Edition 1.3.9
CodeWeavers link: field-of-glory-ii

Distro: Slackware 64 Current (14.2+)
Desktop: KDE 4.14.38
Kernel version: x86_64 Linux 5.4.32
Graphics card: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10, DRM 3.35.0, 5.4.32, LLVM 10.0.0)
Wine version(s) tested: wine 5.2 (Staging)

Install notes:

Just install normally with wine.

How well does it run:

The game works in a clean 32 bit prefix without any overrides. Same minor issues with Slitherine launcher as with Field of glory: Empires. Everything runs perfectly: custom battles, epic battles, campaigns, integration with Field of Glory: Empires, and the DLCs. I haven't tested the multiplayer mode.