Game: X3: Terran War Pack Version:
3.4 (32-bit) WineHQ AppDB Link: 3.2
(most recent available) Installer MD5:
7a2e799a9bfe4b37b85933abc9522975 setup_x3_terran_war_pack_3.4_(17049)-2.bin Distro:
Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" | Cinnamon | 64-bit Kernel:
NVidia GeForce GTX 670 CPU:
Intel i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz × 6 Wine Version:
Wine Staging 5.6 Install Notes:
32-bit wine prefix.
Packages: gstreamer1.0-libav:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly:i386
Winetricks: amstream devenum quartz wsh57 wmp10
Extras: Microsoft ActiveMovie - "amov4ie.exe" available from PlayOnLinux
or Lone Wolf $cripts
(installed last) How does it run:
1) Everything seems functional, including video, and in-game voice audio, but I only played about 10 minutes for testing.
2) Tested on max settings, both "fullscreen" and "borderless", with and without a virtual desktop.
3) Sometimes requires Alt+Tab to get into
the game after startup, due to the the intro popup stealing startup focus. Details:
1) Full write-up (installation guide) available here
2) Yes, there's a native Linux version, but people have been complaining about it for so long the writeup seemed worth the effort.
3) Updating the wine prefix with a new version of wine may require re-installing ActiveMovie.
4) An up-to-date Winetricks is required, as the Ubuntu repo version fails to properly install wmp10.
5) Seems to work well with or without DXVK.
6) Thanks to WinterSnowfall
for re-peaking my interest in getting this running and passing along his working setup
. Much appreciated.