It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Has anyone tried Dungeon Rats with Wine? Is the WineHQ entry correct which reports that the game has minor graphical glitches, but is well playable otherwise?
offtop (cuz Im still unable to create threads by my own): does anybody there use bubblewrap with wine/native games as an alternative way to lock permissions (will it be access to third party files, processes or network)? If yes - can you, please, share some examples to use as reference?
Gekko_Dekko: offtop (cuz Im still unable to create threads by my own): does anybody there use bubblewrap with wine/native games as an alternative way to lock permissions (will it be access to third party files, processes or network)? If yes - can you, please, share some examples to use as reference?
You can try using Flatpak, it's designed for lightweight sandboxing.
shmerl: You can try using Flatpak, it's designed for lightweight sandboxing.
flatpak itself is nowhere to be light - amount of dependencies is insane...

And if you've meant firejail - iirc it actually uses bubblewrap for sandboxing purposes
Gekko_Dekko: flatpak itself is nowhere to be light - amount of dependencies is insane...
Well, it's more lightweight than SELinux.
shmerl: You can try using Flatpak, it's designed for lightweight sandboxing.
Gekko_Dekko: flatpak itself is nowhere to be light - amount of dependencies is insane...

And if you've meant firejail - iirc it actually uses bubblewrap for sandboxing purposes
Aye, I looked at a few programs some days ago. Instead of 50 MB or something, it ended up at 2 GB. Totally nuts.
Game: House Flipper
Wine Version: 4.12.1
Graphics Driver/Adapter: R7 240+Mesa.
Kernel Version: 5.1.19
WineHQ AppDB Link: Here.
Distro: Fedora 30.
Technical Guff: bdd5d212e366a962063c9dc8a6fc2cbf

Results: Inconclusive. Music plays, no display aside from cursor.
Still want to know about Bloodstained.
my question regarding bubblewrap is still valid tho. Archwiki has a good guide, but I still didnt figure out, how to make games work without mounting whole root partition as read-only.
If anybody else uses it - would be glad to see working examples of configs
Gekko_Dekko: ...does anybody there use bubblewrap with wine/native games as an alternative way to lock permissions (will it be access to third party files, processes or network)? If yes - can you, please, share some examples to use as reference?
Gekko_Dekko: ...And if you've meant firejail - iirc it actually uses bubblewrap for sandboxing purposes.
Gekko_Dekko: ...how to make games work without mounting whole root partition as read-only.
Often it's easiest to simply run the application as another user or group with restricted permissions.

For example, when I don't want games to "phone home" I use sg to run them as my current user but with a specified "nonet" primary group (of which my user is already a member). I simply set up an iptables rule to disallow internet access to the "nonet" group -- something like this

From scratch, assuming my user name is "xixas" and the game is Mirror's Edge:

# sudo groupadd nonet
# sudo usermod -a -G nonet xixas
# sudo iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --gid-owner nonet -j REJECT
# sg nonet 'wine /home/xixas/Games/mirrors-edge/drive_c/GOG Games/Mirror's Edge/Binaries/MirrorsEdge.exe'

Of course, you'd want to save your firewall rules somewhere with iptables-save. And note that it's better to REJECT than to DROP, otherwise some applications will freeze waiting on a response.

Going a similar route, you could alternately use setuid or setgid on the executable to maintain the user or group state -- or if you're using wine you set aside a dedicated wine binary for gaming.

A lot of the time people turn to tools like chroot/bubblewrap/firejail/docker to sandbox things far beyond what is required.
Post edited July 28, 2019 by xixas
xixas: when I don't want games to "phone home" I use sg
Im already doing so for about 2 years... (btw - in general, its better to also whitelist localhost) The thing is - if possible, I'd also restrict games from reading anything else than necessary to work folders (libraries, etc) and writing into anything else than their config/savefile locations. And it probably will be a bit more clean to achieve with special software, rather than bloating the list of groups by making separate ones for each new game added (I think, thats how 'play.it' works?).

And yeah - there is a major flaw with using sg. By default, you can only execute one program with it. E.g you cant just make
sg no-internet optirun wine mygame.exe
It wont work.
Instead, you need to write it like
sg no-internet "optirun wine mygame.exe"
And if you have a really long list of options and configs, and some of them already have spaces in them (so you already need to use "'s to prevent escaping) - it turns into real hell
Post edited July 28, 2019 by Gekko_Dekko
Gekko_Dekko: Im already doing so for about 2 years... (btw - in general, its better to also whitelist localhost) The thing is - if possible, I'd also restrict games from reading anything else than necessary to work folders (libraries, etc) and writing into anything else than their config/savefile locations. And it probably will be a bit more clean to achieve with special software, rather than bloating the list of groups by making separate ones for each new game added (I think, thats how 'play.it' works?).

And yeah - there is a major flaw with using sg. By default, you can only execute one program with it. E.g you cant just make

sg no-internet optirun wine mygame.exe
Gekko_Dekko: It wont work.
Instead, you need to write it like

sg no-internet "optirun wine mygame.exe"
Gekko_Dekko: And if you have a really long list of options and configs, and some of them already have spaces in them (so you already need to use "'s to prevent escaping) - it turns into real hell
Would newgrp not work as an alternative to sg?
I do the opposite I only allow programs to access the net that are run with a specific group.
Cusith: I do the opposite I only allow programs to access the net that are run with a specific group.
I thought about it, but since Im not that skilled and will probably miss something (for example - networkmanager) - I've ended up with said setup
Cusith: Would newgrp not work as an alternative to sg?
Sure, and it's definitely easier if you need to run multiple commands. I use sg for desktop menu shortcuts and the like, as it's a simple inline for the specified run -- and you can easily make shortcuts for both "with" and "without" networking that way.

It's particularly handy to edit Lutris-generated menu items that way -- e.g. sg nonet 'lutris lutris:rungameid/1' -- as there's no need for Lutris to have the option of phoning home at game runtime either.

Lutris has been be pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to the GOG installer, so I perform installs manually, but it makes for an easy options manager. Would be nice if they'd add a runner option for switching user/group.

Cusith: I do the opposite I only allow programs to access the net that are run with a specific group.
Good server default -- but it can be a little painful on multi-user day-to-day desktops.
I'm guessing most of us spend enough time playing tech support already ;)
Post edited July 29, 2019 by xixas
eiii: Has anyone tried Dungeon Rats with Wine? Is the WineHQ entry correct which reports that the game has minor graphical glitches, but is well playable otherwise?
yes, it works in wine. as well as first game from this developer. I tried steam versions but I guess it won't bring different results for gog version. Haven't noticed any glitches. ProtonDB also says it works nicely
https://www.protondb.com/app/531930
Post edited July 29, 2019 by djoxyk