It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JudasIscariot: Hmmm.

If you want to remain bloat free but you don't want a distro where you have to wait months just to get an update for ONE package, then I can highly recommend Antergos.

You get all the latest *stable* updates and you can customize your installation since the OS is installed via a net install.

In short, you get the best of both worlds: the rolling update model of Windows (if you like that kind of thing) that you can customize (you can tell your package manager to ignore certain updates) and you get the overall customization that you get with Linux :D

Or you can even try Arch Anywhere :D
UnrealQuakie: I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
I use it as my only OS. Couldn't be happier :) You probably know this already but I would recommend setting up a virtual machine for it to try it out before you install it completely on your PC :)
UnrealQuakie: [snip]

I am liking the antergos linux a lot, Looks pretty bad ass and simple as hell, I will try that in the few weeks coming, Thanks man.
blakstar: Judas introduced me to Antergos as well, and I definitely have to second his recommendation after having used it for a while now.

Got the standard Gnome install on one of my faster machines, but it also works well on a lower specced laptop, where I've used the XFCE desktop.
Thanks for having my back :D
JudasIscariot: ...
Gydion: So Star Ruler 2, does it?
Brainzyy: I'm using macOS, so the Linux version doesn't work for me.
Gydion: You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
If I use the GOG installer on Wine-git, I can start up the game and try to download an update but then it crashes with what looks like something related to OpenAL...
Gydion: So Star Ruler 2, does it?

You on the other hand should actually mention your system info, what Wine version(s) you tried and what workarounds you have attempted.
drpaulthetall: Sorry, forgot about that. I'm running macOS Yosemite on a 2.5 ghz i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6750m with 512MB of vram. I tried Wine 1.9.23 (both 32 and 64bit) and Wine 1.9.24. I tried to winetrick dotnet40 and vcrun2005, vcrun2008, vcrun2010 and vcrun2012. (Because it appears the installer tries to install those).

EDIT: I posted this on my wrong account, but this is in fact, Brainzyy.
Hi there,

I ran the installer on a clean 32-bit Windows prefix and I did not see it attempt to install anything .NET related. I did see it install vc 2008 and 2012.

I am not sure where that .NET came up for you but it's rather odd that it did. You should be able to see if the installer comes with a .NET redistributable by unpacking it with innoextract :)
Post edited December 07, 2016 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: If I use the GOG installer on Wine-git, I can start up the game and try to download an update but then it crashes with what looks like something related to OpenAL...

Hi there,

I ran the installer on a clean 32-bit Windows prefix and I did not see it attempt to install anything .NET related. I did see it install vc 2008 and 2012.

I am not sure where that .NET came up for you but it's rather odd that it did. You should be able to see if the installer comes with a .NET redistributable by unpacking it with innoextract :)
Brainzyy: I'm sorry, my bad again. I just saw the vcrun stuff, the .net stuff was just a try. Sorry for all my fuckups.
Don't worry about it :) I was just wondering where did those extra .NET redistributables come from all of a sudden :)
Gydion: ...
Hey Gydion,

I would like to update this post of mine: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread/post676

WineHQ entry: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34539

Screenshots will be added soon-ish for both Subterrain and Way of the Samurai 4.
JudasIscariot: I would like to update this post of mine: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_judas_does_this_run_in_wine_thread/post676
Gydion: A. That's cheating.
B) You already did it.
C] Are those instructions accurate with 1.9.12? I don't recall what it was, but if not the Wine version should be bumped.
D} Cheater.

Updated. I will update it again if you feel like doing a copy/pasta over here.
Yeah those instructions are accurate with 1.9.12 :)

I'll make an updated post here as the installer has changed due to the game being updated several times since then :)
muntdefems: Game: Stasis (GOG-7 version)
Installers MD5:
5aecc8b82dee5e1538efd8c981d05dac setup_stasis_2.2.0.7.exe
c06fe50ac6cc692e9b82a7175ad2da30 setup_stasis_2.2.0.7-1.bin
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17094

Distro: Arch Linux 64 bits
Kernel version: 4.8.11-1
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary, v375.20
Wine version tested: regular Wine v1.9.24

Installation: Installs OK with the usual error at the end of the process (of no apparent consequence)
How well does it run: Seemingly perfect (though I only played for 10 minutes)
To add to your post:

I played and completed the entire game via Wine and I had no issues whatsoever :)
Game: Subterrain
Installer MD5: c9464d30f6cb5d8e991d0636c0309f9e setup_subterrain_2.26.0.29.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=34539
Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.8.12-1
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 375.20
Wine version(s) tested: Wine 1.9.24

Install notes: Just install the game.
How well does it run: Perfect
Details:

You will need to set "glsl=disabled" in winetricks before starting the game in order to have the map redraw itself properly and yes, you will need the map to redraw itself unless you like losing the map every time you go up or down the stairs of a given building :P

The game has controller support and I managed to get my Xbox 360 wired controller working somewhat but I could not get it to work to the point that I could comfortably play the game with it.

Time played: several hours and several deaths :D
Post edited December 18, 2016 by JudasIscariot
Spy_Gentleman: Game: Odallus - The Dark Call
Installer MD5: e82f2380b0fed4f2de62db4fdd98217d setup_odallus_the_dark_call_2.5.0.7.exe
WineHQ AppDB link: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17036
CodeWeavers link: None

Distro: Antergos 64-bit
Kernel version: 4.7.6-1 Zen
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GT240M
Graphics driver & version: Proprietary 340.98-1
Wine version(s) tested: Wine Staging 1.9.20 via PlayOnLinux

Install notes: None
How well does it run:Almost Perfectly
Details:

*The screen will flicker in a split-second in each screen load, beside the main game.

*The opening sequence will be out of focus, thus you need to Alt+Tab back to it so the controls will work.

*Tested with Virtual desktop and CSMT enabled as well and no major issues has been found.

*The gamepad will cause the game to crash at the warning screen. Unless you disable the (event) controller type from the Control Panel. However, the keyobard keys won't work unless the controller is plugged off before running.

*Further levels weren't tested. Only the 1st level of the game with the keyboard.
Can you try the patch in this bug report? Should fix the "crash on launch if controller is plugged in" issue...
JudasIscariot: Can you try the patch in this bug report? Should fix the "crash on launch if controller is plugged in" issue...
Spy_Gentleman: I'd love to but, i've never dealt with this kind of patching before.
The patching part is easy :P

Anyways, I just tested the patch and Odallus works perfect out of the box with it and so does the controller support. Soooo, provided the patch isn't just a hack, we should see it in the next Wine release after the code freeze :)
shmerl: Did anyone manage to fix terrain texture bug in Two Worlds which happens occasionally? Despite setting Strict Draw Ordering to enabled, I still get this issue in Wine (latest staging).

A workaround for it is to Alt+Tab out of the game, and open it back, but it's pretty annoying.
You might want to report it to WineHQ just in case...if it isn't reported already :)
Spy_Gentleman: It seems that there is a new WINE Staging package called Wine Staging Nine. It's pretty much the same as Staging but has a new feature which lets you toggle use a patch made by Gallium_Nine for better D3D9 graphics performance.

So far I have found out in ArchLinux.
Yeah basically that got moved from the AUR to the official repos :)

Also, does Gallium work for AMD users only or can Nvidia users take advantage of it as well?
JudasIscariot: Also, does Gallium work for AMD users only or can Nvidia users take advantage of it as well?
shmerl: I think Gallium 9 should work for any Gallium based driver. But since Nouveau can't have full performance mode because of no reclocking, it's not that useful for Nvidia anyway.
I don't use Noveau, I use the proprietary drivers. Does that make a difference?
JudasIscariot: I don't use Noveau, I use the proprietary drivers. Does that make a difference?
shmerl: Yes, it makes a major difference. Gallium 9 is only usable with Mesa drivers that use Gallium3D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium3D

So if you want to use it, your best bet is to switch to AMD. Which might be a good idea anyway. Mesa has improved a lot in the recent times. I switched from Nvidia to RX 480 around a month ago, and so far it worked out very well.
Nah, I'll stick with Nvidia for now :) Wine Staging (for Grim Dawn) works just fine :D
JudasIscariot: Nah, I'll stick with Nvidia for now :) Wine Staging (for Grim Dawn) works just fine :D
shmerl: Vega is coming out next year. At some point in 2017 I expect AMD with Mesa to start performing comparably or even better than Nvidia closed blob.
We'll see, I will need to monitor r/linux_gaming to see if anything pops up about it :)