It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Emachine9643: How do I update wine?
vv221: It depends on the distribution you’re using ;)
Most probably it’s already automatically updated with your other packages.
And how it's being used :)

Via your distro's package manager? Git? Compiled from source?
I'm still a noob, but I got Revenant running pretty good using PlayOnLinux. I just followed the prompts for installing a game. I don't know what version of wine it was at the moment.

Everything worked except the character's paper doll slowly but steadily disappeared. I didn't test multiplayer.
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri™ Planetary Pack

Installer:

setup_sid_meiers_alpha_centauri_2.0.2.23.exe f2418700132534115b714a8009ca1b4da6a3c1d8

Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6
Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic i686 (32 bit)
GLX Renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96
Wine:1.9.1
Installs fine in PoL, didn't use the install script that comes with PoL. Ran SMAC & SMAX this morning without major problems. The Sound pops now and then, According to this one need to add gdiplus to make the sound work. (will test that tomorrow).

App DB: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=24358 [oldish]

ps. Made me late for work this morning
Post edited February 03, 2016 by te_lanus
te_lanus: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri™ Planetary Pack
For this one, I plan to write in a not-so-distant future a ./play.it script that will build the native version from the GOG Windows installer and an archive providing the Linux client downloadable from my website.
Would you like that I keep you tuned when it’s done?
Just wondering, and peeking in quickly;

So I'm an IT noob who's been using linux for just these past months now; I can run most my games rather well (and, ironically, a few that wouldn't run under windows anymore);

I can see on the wine HQ forums that Distant Worlds (universe in my case) *should* run with some tweaks. The instructions are kind of Ancient Greek to me though ...

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=32210

I do however have the latest non-steam version straight from Matrix games, instead of the steam version mentioned here; trouble? ...

Could someone give a short description of what it expects me to do? Thanks :)

also there is the matter of sudden strike...

Since my old copies broke down, I got the UIG entertainment "Anthology" re-release that bundles them all together.

Unfortunately, and probably for windows compatibilities sake there has been some tampering with batch files and the like in the game directories.

Sudden strike 1+expansion run with no problems

But Sudden strike 2 goes: "Can't load profile .\SudTest.ini"

It is a file that's there in the root directory, but I don't know where it should go or what I should do with it to solve this issue ... I'll look into this myself a bit more ...

Sudden Strike 3 is the worst case; it says I should have admin rights when running the game for the first time ... but under wine? meh, This I do not know what do to with.

Judas, Deliver us in our hour of need! (You'll get sacrifices; I'll buy some games on gog with my hard earned moneys)
Post edited February 03, 2016 by Vnlr
vv221: For this one, I plan to write in a not-so-distant future a ./play.it script that will build the native version from the GOG Windows installer and an archive providing the Linux client downloadable from my website.
Would you like that I keep you tuned when it’s done?
woud be :D

Remember spending way too much time with this when it came out :D
Vnlr: Just wondering, and peeking in quickly;
All these:

ie6 dotnet35sp1 dotnet40 wmp10 xna40 gdiplus quartz

are known as winetricks so to install them in a CLEAN prefix (clean prefix = new .wine folder)

Here's the lazy Judas way of obtaining a CLEAN Wine prefix AND keeping one that works for you:

1. Rename the prefix you wish to keep but not use for the time being ".wine_good_wine_1.8rc2" or something that makes sense to YOU.

2. Open the terminal and just type (without " ") "winecfg" (literally stands for "wine config"). This will create a new .wine folder for you AKA a new CLEAN prefix.

3. Go to this new and CLEAN prefix and open up the terminal and type:

winetricks ie6 dotnet35sp1 dotnet40 wmp10 xna40 gdiplus quartz

4. Wait for a few minutes for winetricks to do its thing and then continue following the steps in that AppDB entry.

One more thing:

That appdb entry for Distant Worlds is kinda old so I'd recommend getting the latest version of Wine before attempting to run the game.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by JudasIscariot
te_lanus: (…)
While I can’t say when it will be ready, I’ve already managed to run a working prototype, so at least I know my objective is not out of reach.
Oh, by the way, did I tell you that the said ./play.it script will allow you to build a French version of the game too, complete with voices and stuff? ;)

Meanwhile, you can already turn your GOG version of the game to French if you so desire:
Alpha Centauri, une traduction complète
Post edited February 03, 2016 by vv221
Emachine9643: How do I update wine?
It's easiest if you use PlayOnLinux - with that you can install & use multiple different versions of Wine side-by-side, allowing you to use whichever Wine version works best for different things. "Tools --> Manage Wine Versions" from the main window to download them (you will then be able to select them during the install process or by changing the Wine version used from the PlayOnLinux configuration window).
Attachments:
vv221:
I'm using Mint, wine version 1.6.2

JudasIscariot:
The package manager. I'm trying to see if "80 Days" play on the 1.8 version. It's just stuck on the first loading screen and can't find any answers online if it's working in wine.

adamhm:
Might look into this, thanks!
Post edited February 03, 2016 by Emachine9643
vv221:
Emachine9643: I'm using Mint, wine version 1.6.2

JudasIscariot:
Emachine9643: The package manager. I'm trying to see if "80 Days" play on the 1.8 version. It's just stuck on the first loading screen and can't find any answers online if it's working in wine.
I can't recall off the top of my head if the game uses redistributables but take a look at the installed game's files and see if you can find a folder with redistributables in there. if you see any, uninstall the game, run winetricks for the appropriate redists and reinstall the game to see if it works.

It might be one of those games that will just not work with your distro's Wine and you may need to try Play On Linux, if you don't feel comfortable compiling your own, or compile 1.9.2 and see where that takes you :)
adamhm:
How do you install a game?
Emachine9643: How do you install a game?
Click on "Install". If what you're trying to install is listed, then you can use a script to mostly automate the install process if you want. Otherwise select "Install a non-listed program" and follow the instructions... what you choose from there will depend on what you're installing & how you need or want to set it up.
Great thread!
Really wish there was a "Linux universal GOG installer" for non native games, totally unsupported and optional, for damn sure; there, you could just drag and drop your favorite game and then wine/other software would run it and configure it first hand, without further needs.
I'm a dummy when it comes to compiling on wine and even doing its tricks, so that would give my non-linux games an extra life in here...
One can only dream... ;P
vv221: Would you prefer that I add it to the posts I make here too?
Or is it enough to have the link to the ./play.it page for further infos?
I think it's kind of nice to have the information on GOG, but I realize it's another thing to be updated. Since the ./play.it page does have it, whatever you feel like.
JudasIscariot: Here's the lazy Judas way of obtaining a CLEAN Wine prefix AND keeping one that works for you:

1. Rename the prefix you wish to keep but not use for the time being ".wine_good_wine_1.8rc2" or something that makes sense to YOU.
Lazy Gydion way:
$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/distant-Worlds" winecfg
$ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/sommelier/prefixes/distant-Worlds" winetricks ie6 dotnet35sp1 dotnet40 wmp10 xna40 gdiplus quartz
Leaves anything & everything in the default .wine untouched.
Post edited February 04, 2016 by Gydion