It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tarm: Heck I've even thought about getting Enterprise. Usually right after having seen one of the new films. It's not that bad...
Klumpen0815: I have TOS and Enterprise on BD too since I rather buy series box sets than movies anyway by now.
Is there a not-remastered version of TOS even available? I can't stand the CGI effects in TOS. I want the crappy 1960s effects, just the way they were!

Klumpen0815: Imho "Beyond" was the worst of the three new ones since they got gradually worse. I can't even remember the story of Beyond anymore since it was so boring and senseless.
I could not disagree more. I thought it was damn great. Only goes to show that there will always be displeased fans. I don't know yet which group I will be in once Discovery comes out, but one thing is for sure - it's facing an uphill struggle.
Breja: In one of the saddest, and yet also most predictable news you'll ever read, Star Trek Discovery is influenced by Game of Thrones. Because when I think of Star Trek, the show famous for being a hopeful, optimistic story about exploration and betterment of mankind through scientific progress and embracing diversity in infinite combinations, the best inspiration for the new series I can think of is the dour, misery, death and tits obsessed Game of Thrones, a show that managed to convince an entire generation ofTV audince that nudity and violence are what makes a show "mature".
Well.. why not. They try so hard to have as less as possible in common with everything Star Trek thats established that such a move is sadly not that surprising; its just sad. I'd love to be proven wrong by the actual show but as it presents itself the producers completely and utter lack the interest and talent to do a Star Trek show and instead of having been flushed down right in the beginning and hire some ppl who DO care about Trek they parade it like a kid who made its first turd without parental guidance.
Klumpen0815: I have TOS and Enterprise on BD too since I rather buy series box sets than movies anyway by now.
Breja: Is there a not-remastered version of TOS even available? I can't stand the CGI effects in TOS. I want the crappy 1960s effects, just the way they were!
Actually, The BD remaster of TOS includes 2 versions of each episode. The original 1960s effects and the touched up CGI effects. Personally, I liked the newer effects. I sometimes go back and forth with the 2 versions to see the differences. I linked a review of the particular BD boxset I own below.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Trek-The-Original-Series-Three-Season-Pack-Blu-ray/7193/
Breja: Is there a not-remastered version of TOS even available? I can't stand the CGI effects in TOS. I want the crappy 1960s effects, just the way they were!
BenKii: Actually, The BD remaster of TOS includes 2 versions of each episode. The original 1960s effects and the touched up CGI effects. Personally, I liked the newer effects. I sometimes go back and forth with the 2 versions to see the differences.
Ok, if that's the case I need to get that. I really can't stand the remastered effects. For one, the very idea rubs me the wrong way, it feels false, like a lie about how thigns were. And for another, I just feel like the CGI effects don't mesh with the rest of the visuals. The whole thing becomes jarringly inconsistant. Sure, the orignal effects are crap by todays standards, but at least they fit with the sets and the costumes and everything. There is consistancy that I think makes the "cheapness" of it all sort of disappear after a while. But I understand that others may feel different, and a release that contains both versions for everyone to choose whatever they please at the moment and to give comparison is a very smart thing to do, and something Star Wars should learn from.
A new poster, which is also a good look at the new ship.

I think the poster itself is very nice, and the ship design seems to have improved since the first time we saw it. I'm still not quite sure about it, mostly that inner ring-saucer thing, and overall it feels like something that belongs post-TOS rather than before it, but it stil is an improvement.

And a kind of "the news s there is no news" story - the sequel to Star Trek Beyond is still being written so it has not been abandoned, but things are definately going slowly, considering the optimistic announcement last year, and I guess it could still go either way.
Post edited July 18, 2017 by Breja
Still looks like a pizza cutter! :) :)

The new trailer shows a bit more story, which seems all so focused on particular problems, like it indeed was all just one movie that goes on for 12 hours. And, yes indeed, the focus on the first officer is so strong that - if this new trailer is any indication - no focus on the captain was ever this strong in other ST series.

Nonetheless, they're keeping the action stuff relatively moderate in this, which I dig (anyone remember the Star Trek Beyond trailer... ouch).

But for fuck's sake they need to lose the pop music. Jerry Goldsmith spits on them from his grave!
The new trailer doesn't look bad... but it also doesn't feel much like Trek. It's so dark and oppressive. I'm not kidding when I say that the new Orville trailer feels more trek-ish. It feels as if the MacFarlane had to make a comedy, but actually wanted to make just Star Trek, while the peopel behind Discovery wanted to make something else entirely, but had to call it Star Trek for brand recognision.

And I'm pretty sure that burning a giant starfleet insignia into a planet's surface violates the fuck out of the prime directive.

Also the main character is now Spock's adoptive sister. Because screw you fans, that's why.
Post edited July 23, 2017 by Breja
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star-trek/51109/star-trek-wrath-of-khan-tv-series-in-the-works

We live in a world where this apparently is real. Or at least being seriously considered. I just... stop with the damn prequels already! Ok, it;s not quite as bad as actually turning the movie itself into a TV series, but for fuck's sake, we don't need it anyway. It's one of the greatest sf movies ever, and it doesn't need a fucking prequel. Just let it be. Make something NEW. Why is that so hard. After nemesis. Enterprise F or whatever. Put a new crew on a a new Enterprise, get Frakes to direct (you can have admiral Riker as a supporting character) and explore new stuff. EXPLORE, damn it. I don't need to know the details of what happened tp Khan before The Wrath, I don't need to know about Spocks adoptive human sister (what the actual fuck?!) and I don't need to know how Decker met Ilia for the first time, or what the Great Tribble Hunt looked like.
Why is it so damn hard to advance the story? I want to know what happens next! How does the balance of power change after the Dominion War? What marvels in the galaxy are still waiting to be discovered? Will Janeway manage to screw things even more?

The actors from TNG, DS9 and Voyager can still sporadically appear as special guest stars, but the window will close someday.

I might pass on this one...
Post edited August 01, 2017 by Caesar.
Star Trek Discovery gets a TV-MA rating.

I personally don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand it's nice the writers don't have any restrictions for their storytelling but on the other hand I would've liked it to have been rated a bit lower so that a younger audience could experience a Star Trek TV show. As long as the rating doesn't approach GoT levels and keeps it a mild TV-MA rating (Marvel's Netflix shows for example) then it might be a good fit for the show. We'll see how it turns out come late September.
It will depend on what the actual content is (gory violence is not the same as "strong" langauge). Don't you get an adults only rating in the United States if you say "fuck" more than three times or something like that?

It won't be a problem for me as long as the mature content is justified and not gratuitous.
Caesar.: Why is it so damn hard to advance the story? I want to know what happens next! How does the balance of power change after the Dominion War? What marvels in the galaxy are still waiting to be discovered? Will Janeway manage to screw things even more?

The actors from TNG, DS9 and Voyager can still sporadically appear as special guest stars, but the window will close someday.

I might pass on this one...
This was one of the few things I enjoyed about the ST MMORPG. It did advance the story.
Sielle: This was one of the few things I enjoyed about the ST MMORPG. It did advance the story.
Not in a way I enjoyed. Reverting Klingons to Federation's enemies felt like such a betrayal of everything that's been done in TNG and DS9. And the whole thing is basically just war, war, war. I don;t like the idea of Trek's future being nothing but conflict. I know some conflict is necessary for the story, but I think the post-Nemesis future should hold a strong alliance of the former enemies (federation/klingons/romulans possibly also Cardassians) against new challenges.
while I'm not opposed to them changing what they need to in order to make the series work, it was kind of shady for them to publicise that this is taking place in the TV universe only to have what they revealed to be so radically different.

I really hope Orville is really good.
johnnygoging: I really hope Orville is really good.
It has Adrianne Palicki. Who cares if it's any good!? :P
Post edited August 29, 2017 by tinyE