It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dammit. A 54 year old first officer would have kicked the highschool crew of the Abramsverse's butts. :)
Vainamoinen: Dammit. A 54 year old first officer would have kicked the highschool crew of the Abramsverse's butts. :)
Chris Pine is 36, Zachary Quinto 39 and Karl Urban 44. That's a bit old for high school ;)
Post edited November 24, 2016 by Breja
Breja: Chris Pine is 36, Zachary Quinto 39 and Karl Urban 44. That's a bit old for high school ;)
When they shot Star Trek, Chris Pine was 28 and Zachary Quinto 31. Maybe a bit too old for high school, but still freshmen from Academy in command of the flagship. Do not approve! :)
Post edited November 24, 2016 by Vainamoinen
Breja: Chris Pine is 36, Zachary Quinto 39 and Karl Urban 44. That's a bit old for high school ;)
Vainamoinen: When they shot Star Trek, Chris Pine was 28 and Zachary Quinto 31. Maybe a bit too old for high school, but still freshmen from Academy in command of the flagship. Do not approve! :)
Well, to be fair Bruce Greenwood's Captain Pike was actually in command of the Enterprise in the first movie, Kirk only got promoted at the very end. And yeah, it bothered me a little too, but it makes sense to start with young actors when planning for multiple movies. Really the cast of the new movies proved themselves to be superb in my opinion, and it was not an easy task - when first I heard of recasting the original crew I was screaming bloody murder. If I like the cast of Discovery half as much I will still be pleasantly surprised.
Post edited November 24, 2016 by Breja
Well only saw this post a couple hours ago & haven't read the full thing but I did see a comment about Star Trek: Beyond being a flop.

And you have to remember... it's just not geared towards north american audiences after all.

I mean using loud music... blasting through space... to defeat hoards of enemies in an ship that seems more agile then humanly possibly... you don't recognize it?

It's the live adaptation of Macross.
JunglePredator: Well only saw this post a couple hours ago & haven't read the full thing but I did see a comment about Star Trek: Beyond being a flop.
It wasn't a flop. Then again, box office absolutely wasn't what Paramount has hoped for. It performed worst of the Abramsverse movies, great starting weekend but very immediate decline.

Beyond... well. It's a seven as a mindless action movie, a four as a sensible narrative and a two as a Star Trek movie. :)
low rated
Breja: rather than just post a few sentences of vitriol :)
isn't that what you always do flat ass retard?
Vainamoinen: Beyond... well. It's a seven as a mindless action movie, a four as a sensible narrative and a two as a Star Trek movie. :)
Bah, humbug.

It's a very good movie by any measure. It's fun, it looks great, the characters are spot on, the cast is doing great and the whole thing really feels like it could very well have been part of the old series with the original cast. Anyone who complains about it not being Trek is forgetting how often Trek really was just about following these characters on fun adventures. And Beyond does that perfectly.
Vainamoinen: Beyond... well. It's a seven as a mindless action movie, a four as a sensible narrative and a two as a Star Trek movie. :)
Breja: Bah, humbug.

It's a very good movie by any measure. It's fun, it looks great, the characters are spot on, the cast is doing great and the whole thing really feels like it could very well have been part of the old series with the original cast. Anyone who complains about it not being Trek is forgetting how often Trek really was just about following these characters on fun adventures. And Beyond does that perfectly.
**SPOILERS FOR BEYOND**

I'm not one of those "don't know what they want" Trek "purists", and I won't pour any kind of nostalgia over the many failures of the longest Trek history, I'll tell you that. I am, however, not just with the show since yesterday, I know what it's about and I know what I want from it. A meagre 20 years ago some magazines tried to tell me how the movie that I'd still rate second best of all would completely destroy Roddenberry's vision with all that cruelty and action. And it really, really didn't.

I liked Star Trek 2009, and I liked Into Darkness with the exception of its superhero Spock ending, but Beyond really was more of a yawn for me. The villains are weak, the action sequences don't make sense and the climaxes just have no payoff. Some doofus villain gets introduced with two sentences total, gets to tell a protagonist he killed her parents, they fight, I feel nothing, because there's nothing to feel. No emotion, nothing at all even though I liked that protagonist concept. Beyond is visually spectacular, they pulled off the dissolving Enterprise nicely even though it was stolen from Generations, and I'll gladly take more Jaylah in that fourth instalment. But that's it, really. It's not a bad movie, not a Star Trek X by a very long shot, but for me it fails to evoke an emotional response where better storytelling easily could have. Just my four cents. :)
Breja: Bah, humbug.

Vainamoinen: **SPOILERS FOR BEYOND**

I'm not one of those "don't know what they want" Trek "purists", and I won't pour any kind of nostalgia over the many failures of the longest Trek history, I'll tell you that. I am, however, not just with the show since yesterday, I know what it's about and I know what I want from it. A meagre 20 years ago some magazines tried to tell me how the movie that I'd still rate second best of all would completely destroy Roddenberry's vision with all that cruelty and action. And it really, really didn't.

I liked Star Trek 2009, and I liked Into Darkness with the exception of its superhero Spock ending, but Beyond really was more of a yawn for me. The villains are weak, the action sequences don't make sense and the climaxes just have no payoff. Some doofus villain gets introduced with two sentences total, gets to tell a protagonist he killed her parents, they fight, I feel nothing, because there's nothing to feel. No emotion, nothing at all even though I liked that protagonist concept. Beyond is visually spectacular, they pulled off the dissolving Enterprise nicely even though it was stolen from Generations, and I'll gladly take more Jaylah in that fourth instalment. But that's it, really. It's not a bad movie, not a Star Trek X by a very long shot, but for me it fails to evoke an emotional response where better storytelling easily could have. Just my four cents. :)
Fair enough. I could not possibly agree with you any less, but I've argued Beyond enough, and this thread is not for that anyway.
Breja: Fair enough. I could not possibly agree with you any less, but I've argued Beyond enough, and this thread is not for that anyway.
Wellll. It IS the future of Star Trek after all. One of them at least. :)
Breja: Fair enough. I could not possibly agree with you any less, but I've argued Beyond enough, and this thread is not for that anyway.
Vainamoinen: Wellll. It IS the future of Star Trek after all. One of them at least. :)
I mean this thread to be specifically about the upcoming productions, not the ones we've already seen. Nothing wrong with letting it wander of course, but I just feel kinda spent of arguing Beyond, and the Kelvin timeline in general. At least untill some news about the next movie shows up. You know, kinda like once the Star Wars Rogue One thread pops up it would be nice to not have it become another discussion of Force Awakens again.
Post edited November 25, 2016 by Breja
Vainamoinen: When they shot Star Trek, Chris Pine was 28 and Zachary Quinto 31. Maybe a bit too old for high school, but still freshmen from Academy in command of the flagship. Do not approve! :)
Well, Kirk was supposed to have been around 31, or so, when he took command, so what difference does 2-3 years make? :-P
I love all the new Startrek movies, brilliant!

Better than the last starwars movie which to me felt rushed and when it ended i feel kinda cheated like "huh, over already wtf"?? I did not get that feeling with startrek, or any previous starwars movie for that matter!
blakstar: Well, Kirk was supposed to have been around 31, or so, when he took command, so what difference does 2-3 years make? :-P
Excuse my following somewhat convoluted argumentative structure while I vehemently bring the discussion back to Discovery: Past Star Trek series started out with bridge crews on the flagship that contained hardly a seasoned officer, let alone several. Not only is that a good bit unrealistic, it's also quite opposed to the diversity that Gene Roddenberry tried to be after most of the time. What Roddenberry, it seems, just couldn't get away from is our prevailing obsession with youth.

It would fit Discovery well to make a greater effort in that respect – even though audience expectations are, well, different. :)
Post edited November 25, 2016 by Vainamoinen