It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The thrilling survival horror dylogy devised by the legendary creator Shinji Mikami arrives DRM-free on GOG.COM. The Evil Within and The Evil Within 2 are both available with 75% discounts until 23rd April, 1 PM UTC.

Scares do not end there! Also, until 23rd April, 1 PM UTC, you can buy discounted DLCs for the first part of this cult horror series, as well as the special bundle which contains The Evil Within game and all its DLCs. On top of that, be sure to read our editorial about Shinji Mikami and his journey into the horror genre.
Post edited April 16, 2020 by emter_pl
Okay so I just solved Evil Within last night! Cool ride, really enjoyed it - probably the first "later Resident Evil" style horror game I've ever played. Liked the close in / tight combat camera and while I "stressed" a bit in the early game after reading you had to make your character "just right" and worrying that I was wasting resources to hunt green gel, or saving resources and MISSING too much gel, after just settling in and "playing" it was a much more enjoyable experience ;)

QUESTIONS THOUGH (can we take this into spoiler territory?) SPOILERS

What happened at the end? Is this a typical Japanese survival horror where you have to beat the game three times to figure out the "true" ending? Did I miss too many news clippings?

I "get" what happened with Leslie - but why does Sebastian "exit" STEM twice? Was I supposed to figure out on my own what happened to his wife or does that get sorted in EW2?

Where does Kidman come in? She's the one who looks like she (and her "group") are still in STEM AFTER Seb gets out, but then she "leaves" "them" and he gets out again?
Ixamyakxim: Is this a typical Japanese survival horror where you have to beat the game three times to figure out the "true" ending? Did I miss too many news clippings?
No. I think I said it before, but so few things truly matter in the setup between these two games. The only things that matter are Mobius, STEM, Juli Kidman and Sebastian.

Ixamyakxim: Was I supposed to figure out on my own what happened to his wife or does that get sorted in EW2?
You find out what happened with Myra in the sequel.
TheMonkofDestiny:
Awesome thank you for this! Appreciate the confirmation - jumping into Human Revolution next but will get to EW 2 at some point (unless I delay it to my "Halloween" game next Fall ;) ).
TheMonkofDestiny:
Ixamyakxim: Awesome thank you for this! Appreciate the confirmation - jumping into Human Revolution next but will get to EW 2 at some point (unless I delay it to my "Halloween" game next Fall ;) ).
Have you played the DLC as well? For lore purposes playing The Assignment and The Consequence will flesh things out more, and I recommend playing those before starting TEW2, you can skip The Executioner without missing out on much. The gameplay's a bit different as there's a new flashlight-puzzle mechanic introduced, and there's no green gel and little to no ammo to deal with.
Ixamyakxim: Awesome thank you for this! Appreciate the confirmation - jumping into Human Revolution next but will get to EW 2 at some point (unless I delay it to my "Halloween" game next Fall ;) ).
SCPM: Have you played the DLC as well? For lore purposes playing The Assignment and The Consequence will flesh things out more, and I recommend playing those before starting TEW2, you can skip The Executioner without missing out on much. The gameplay's a bit different as there's a new flashlight-puzzle mechanic introduced, and there's no green gel and little to no ammo to deal with.
I didn't - I was on the fence about grabbing them and held off.

I read that they did a bit to flesh out the story (Kidman's role and such) but opted to pass and "go back" if I really liked the story. Now I'm sort of questioning that - though maybe I can grab them later and play them as sort of a "refresher" before EW 2. Are they pretty long? This is actually a case where I feel like a few hours - for me - would be better than another full length (or even 10 hour) game.
SCPM: Have you played the DLC as well? For lore purposes playing The Assignment and The Consequence will flesh things out more, and I recommend playing those before starting TEW2, you can skip The Executioner without missing out on much. The gameplay's a bit different as there's a new flashlight-puzzle mechanic introduced, and there's no green gel and little to no ammo to deal with.
Ixamyakxim: I didn't - I was on the fence about grabbing them and held off.

I read that they did a bit to flesh out the story (Kidman's role and such) but opted to pass and "go back" if I really liked the story. Now I'm sort of questioning that - though maybe I can grab them later and play them as sort of a "refresher" before EW 2. Are they pretty long? This is actually a case where I feel like a few hours - for me - would be better than another full length (or even 10 hour) game.
The Assignment and The Consequence can be completed in about 2 hours each, the Executioner can be done in an hour and half or less. And you can wait till you're about to start EW2, they will work as a refresher given how EW2 begins, better I think than the EW base game ending.
SCPM: The Assignment and The Consequence can be completed in about 2 hours each, the Executioner can be done in an hour and half or less. And you can wait till you're about to start EW2, they will work as a refresher given how EW2 begins, better I think than the EW base game ending.
That sounds perfect actually - yeah I'll have to give these a shot before I jump back in to the world.
low rated
Please bring this sale back, otherwise we might miss these games forever.
Hello. A few months ago, an update was released that includes one more difficulty and several cheats (like three). Is this update already in the gog version or do need to go to the official website (bethesda.net) as in the steam version to get it?
SLM-1: Hello. A few months ago, an update was released that includes one more difficulty and several cheats (like three). Is this update already in the gog version or do need to go to the official website (bethesda.net) as in the steam version to get it?
I dare say that both versions are out of date. 1 is at 1.0 and 2 is at 1.04. Unlikely that any patch/update that's available on Steam or Bethesda's website has made it here ...
SLM-1: Hello. A few months ago, an update was released that includes one more difficulty and several cheats (like three). Is this update already in the gog version or do need to go to the official website (bethesda.net) as in the steam version to get it?
I advise you to post a dedicated thread with your question over at dedicated subforum.
Your question should get far more traction there (after all THIS thread is already rather old and not many people frequented in the first place).
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_evil_within_series#1606449712

(edit: forgot to put in the link)
Post edited January 15, 2021 by B1tF1ghter
Mori_Yuki: I dare say that both versions are out of date. 1 is at 1.0 and 2 is at 1.04. Unlikely that any patch/update that's available on Steam or Bethesda's website has made it here ...
I get it. It's a pity. The second part seems to be the same as in steam. I hope that it will be possible to install the latest patch from site for the version with gog, but I will not check, I will buy it on steam.
Mori_Yuki: I dare say that both versions are out of date. 1 is at 1.0 and 2 is at 1.04. Unlikely that any patch/update that's available on Steam or Bethesda's website has made it here ...
SLM-1: I get it. It's a pity. The second part seems to be the same as in steam. I hope that it will be possible to install the latest patch from site for the version with gog, but I will not check, I will buy it on steam.
Well the last known patch came out on Steam on 14.02.2018 and it's called 1.04.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/601430/discussions/0/1700542968202975758/
Meanwhile there was only one build of TEW 2 on GOG since launch and it's 1.04.
https://www.gogdb.org/product/1083619800#builds
I am ASSUMING what is on GOG is equal to latest Steam patch...
SLM-1: I get it. It's a pity. The second part seems to be the same as in steam. I hope that it will be possible to install the latest patch from site for the version with gog, but I will not check, I will buy it on steam.
B1tF1ghter: Well the last known patch came out on Steam on 14.02.2018 and it's called 1.04.
The patch is directly on Bethesda servers and is given for linking accounts between Steam and Bethesda.net. essentially you have to lock your DRM account to a second DRM account to be deemed worthy of downloading the patch that adds this little bit of content.
B1tF1ghter: Well the last known patch came out on Steam on 14.02.2018 and it's called 1.04.
paladin181: The patch is directly on Bethesda servers and is given for linking accounts between Steam and Bethesda.net. essentially you have to lock your DRM account to a second DRM account to be deemed worthy of downloading the patch that adds this little bit of content.
I know about the Bethesda account thing. But I never went through the process (I do own the game on Steam) so don't know the details.
Do you get external patch file there?

But I do too wonder if it's integrated in GOG release.