It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hungary - Portugal was also interesting - until Hungary decided to save energy and not invest too much into the last 20 minutes.
This is not how I like to see Portugal play, but the final was epic in its own right and, deep down, no Portuguese fan in their right and sound mind will complain much. I suppose we have Greece to thank, for having shown us how to do it, but here's to hoping Portugal can build upon this triumph and return to their attractive brand of football on top of a rock-solid defense and great team solidarity.
ZFR: However I still maintain what I wrote: the French never had the option of comfortably clearing it like they'd have had from a free kick after Eder's handball. From a throw in that close to their goal, they'd still be under constant pressure.
You're welcome to it but it doesn't strike me as a very honest analysis. I mean, ball went from the iron to the sideline and (off or not, i can't tell for sure from hat video but the demeanor of the players seems to indicate it did went off) from there to the midfield line where it was disputed, took by the French, retook by the Portuguese and then the final play leading to the goal starts from there.

If we don't count that as properly cleared them we may as well stitch an entire match in a single string and a single mistake, the very first mistake, by the ref becomes liable to be used in order to question the end result, fair play and whatnot in a never ending chain of "what if's".

Anyway, i'm off for now, i'm going out to meet a few friends for dinner. I think i'm gonna go with coq au vin tonight :)
Admittedly Portugal showed more passion during extra time, so the result of that final game seems okay to me. But beyond that: Three points and 3rd place after the group stage (which would have ment elimination in the old/better system), two penalty shootouts in four knock-out games, and only one of their seven games won within 90 minutes. Is that the record of a deserved European Champion?

As much as I try to sympathise with the Portuguese fans, who have waited a long time for such a triumph, I just can't get over these pathetic statistics. If that's the standard for 2016, I expect Street Fighter V to be awarded as GOTY and Donald Trump to become president of the U.S.

Merci Michel!
Im sorry but it is the most crappiest euro winnig since Greece in 2004.Very,very dull football.One of the worst championships of all time.If somebody watched Copa America thats the way of playing.Attacking.I mean winning euro with 1 win and 5,6 draws in regular 90+ time...just no words.Back to 16 teams is first step in my opinion
Post edited July 11, 2016 by RottenRotz
Namur: You're welcome to it but it doesn't strike me as a very honest analysis.
As I said, it was debatable. I'd consider the keeper catching the ball, or even the player having it for a comfortable few seconds a "proper" clearance. But a free kick where the player can shoot the ball with ease is different for being under pressure and having to kick-clear it in a fraction of a second.
Still, I agree with you, that it's not use doing the "what if's". For all you know, a previous mistake by the referee would have meant that Portugal didn't win 3-0 which they'd have done otherwise.
And incidentally, congratulations. Out of the two teams I was rooting for Portugal. I don't like the host winning.
RottenRotz: I mean winning euro with 1 win and 5,6 draws in regular 90+ time...just no words.B
OK. I agree that winning on penalty kicks is kind of a lottery, but two of Potugal's wins were actually in extra time. To win in extra time relies on skill just as much as the original 90 mins time, so I don't see those wins any less of an achievement.
Post edited July 12, 2016 by ZFR
Well done Portugal, the look on Patrice Evra's face at the end, made it all worth while, can't stand him.

France should be called 'les noirs' :P
Namur: You're welcome to it but it doesn't strike me as a very honest analysis.
ZFR: As I said, it was debatable. I'd consider the keeper catching the ball, or even the player having it for a comfortable few seconds a "proper" clearance. But a free kick where the player can shoot the ball with ease is different for being under pressure and having to kick-clear it in a fraction of a second.
Still, I agree with you, that it's not use doing the "what if's". For all you know, a previous mistake by the referee would have meant that Portugal didn't win 3-0 which they'd have done otherwise.
And incidentally, congratulations. Out of the two teams I was rooting for Portugal. I don't like the host winning.
RottenRotz: I mean winning euro with 1 win and 5,6 draws in regular 90+ time...just no words.B
ZFR: OK. I agree that winning on penalty kicks is kind of a lottery, but two of Potugal's wins were actually in extra time. To win in extra time relies on skill just as much as the original 90 mins time, so I don't see those wins any less of an achievement.
I didnt say there was no skill involved,it was.Just when their whole euro journey is put together its just meh...
Cavenagh: Well done Portugal, the look on Patrice Evra's face at the end, made it all worth while, can't stand him.

National teams are becoming more like clubs.Give seme brasilian or african players passports and voila
Post edited July 12, 2016 by RottenRotz
ZFR: OK. I agree that winning on penalty kicks is kind of a lottery, but two of Potugal's wins were actually in extra time. To win in extra time relies on skill just as much as the original 90 mins time, so I don't see those wins any less of an achievement.
RottenRotz: I didnt say there was no skill involved,it was.Just when their whole euro journey is put together its just meh...
But you grouped the extra time and PK wins together under "draws in regular 90+ time". Those are two completely different things.

Agreed on Portugal's journey not being the best.
RottenRotz: National teams are becoming more like clubs.Give seme brasilian or african players passports and voila
National teams were always a 'dumb' idea. So, players are defined by imaginary lines? That is pretty lame.

It would be interesting to see players that, in someway, grew together and share similar cultural values. But that is not the case, sports nowadays are not a congregation factor (that still happens in some places like native ameridians games, fierljeppen in Netherlands or snake boat in India). It is just business. Mostly they are not relevant for the local community, socially and culturally speaking. Modern olympic games is shameful.

Back to foreign soccer players: look at Griezmann. The guy was born in France, but young was sent to Spain and never played in his birth country. Still he plays for France. Same to Messi and many others. So the bond to the France team is just the fact that he was given birth inside french territory?

Sorry about the rant :)

Of, I forgot to add: the Island team in this Euro was a surprising and heart touching exception.
Post edited July 12, 2016 by tokisto
Cavenagh: Well done Portugal, the look on Patrice Evra's face at the end, made it all worth while, can't stand him.

RottenRotz: National teams are becoming more like clubs.Give seme brasilian or african players passports and voila
Except that almost all of their players were born in France.
ZFR: And incidentally, congratulations. Out of the two teams I was rooting for Portugal. I don't like the host winning.
Thanks, appreciate it.

ZFR: Agreed on Portugal's journey not being the best.
I think everyone, including most Portuguese, will agree that the football played by Portugal in this Euro was mostly unattractive. Even a great game like Croatia-Portugal, a great tactical battle, is unappealing for those only looking for pure spectacle.

Pragmatic, efficient, winning often aren't synonyms of spectacular but that's just how it is.