It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Orkhepaj: Another awesome topic from our beloved GameRager
I see how the toxic haters still downvote him , lets celebrate the 1000th minus !
Wear it as a badge of honor GameR.
Thank you for the support.....as for the rep, I don't worry anymore.....though it's sad to see such people downrate even a thread on a serious world wide problem.

Orkhepaj: Btw be aware buying masks now , lots of scammer are out there who wants your money.
Well I don't wear one myself(don't like the feeling of it on my face....it bothers some of my mental issues...and I also am not worried if I get sick. I DO, however, cough/sneeze if needed into my elbow and if I felt sick i'd quarantine myself), and with the info in Post#102 anyone can make their own masks so anyone who wants one doesn't need to go through such scammers/etc.
=============================================

Swedrami: A little something to facepalm/shake your head at:
Judgment Is Executed on COVID-19 by Kenneth Copeland
Metal Version
I don't think that's going to help.....though the one guy has good stage presence, i'll give him that.
Post edited April 05, 2020 by GameRager
Auto-censorship

Please also erase quote of my posts.
Post edited April 26, 2020 by francksteel
low rated
francksteel: Mask won't protect you (or so little it's not statistically significant).

But masks protects other.

If you get Covid you will know only 4-7 days after being infected, but worse you will be contagious for those 4-7 days.

So, not wearing a mask you can contaminate other not even knowing you're sick, by droplets or maybe even aerosol (just by breathing, speaking).
I know that bit already(masks being more to prevent spread rather than getting sick in these sorts of cases), but this is good info regardless.

As for me: Masks mainly block discharge from sneezing/coughing, and I do those in my elbow/sleeve(on the rare occasion I do such).

As for speaking/spitting during speaking.....social distancing and staying at home most times mitigates that to a very low amount of risk.

So unless I went around like some bad apples and spit on random things(I won't do that) or forgot to maintain a good distance from others(I don't ever do this as of late) then others should be fine.

francksteel: A mask vastly reduce the risk you contaminate others : https://youtu.be/nWRKNKnt0ig?t=2610 (the entire conference is in french, but a this timestamp, you can see stats when coughing, you just imagine it's even more protective if just breathing through the mask)
Good post/link.

(I agree people should wear them if they can and want to to help prevent spread, btw....I just don't think it should be enforced by law)
high rated
Auto-censorship

low rated
A bit of a request.....I would appreciate it if we limit any talk on laws/politics/offtopic(or anything mods might see as offtopic) or keep it to PM(or the linked quicktopics in post 1) so as to avoid attracting the ire of the mods...that said, some replies:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

francksteel: Do you think that there must not be a speed limit on road/streets ?

Do you think that there must not be a law to wear security belt on car ?
With the first thing(speed limits) it could affect a bunch of other people if one impacts another vehicle/people at high speed or otherwise loses control of their vehicle....and in such cases such things can happen quickly and without time to react in some cases. So I agree with such measures for the most part.

This(wearing masks), though, is different (imo)....people can do things to prevent spread of disease while in public without a mask.....though of course it would help if more wore them & they should.....I just don't believe they should be made to wear them under some sort of threat(legal or otherwise) else not be able to shop/go outside/etc.

With the second thing(seat belt) it only affects the ones who wear such. And yes, I actually slightly disagree with this....at least for adults....as I believe adults should be able to choose such things concerning their own safety for themselves.

francksteel: about this one, I recommend (and also because it's a good one) the movie Tucker with Jeff Bridges, Martin Landau ... [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker:_The_Man_and_His_Dream]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker:_The_Man_and_His_Dream[/url] .
There is a scene about that (from memory and translated by me : "If you put security belts on your car, people will believe it's not a safe car")
I will look into it later...thanks for that.

That said, that made me think of something......how a ton of "safety theater" is going on with this situation....like temperature taking. Now don't get me wrong, temperature taking is a good practice, but for asymptomatic cases it doesn't prove a person isn't infected & likely could lull some into a false sense of security.
low rated
Metal Version
hehe pray the flu away :D
Auto-censorship

high rated
Metal Version
Orkhepaj: hehe pray the flu away :D
Don't we say : a pray a day keeps the flu away ?
low rated
francksteel: Picture this : you are shopping, your hands full (water, milk...), you cannot refrain coughing, and it's physically impossible in a second to put your elbow on your mouth.

You've just contaminated all the room.
That's not how it works.....unless the room is very small anyways.

That's also why we have social distancing.

francksteel: Social distancing : 1 m ? 2 m ? 3 m ?
Well, I don't see it respected in France in supermarkets, even if they are limiting the number of people allowed to enter, you are always crossing the way of others.
That sucks...they should try to respect that a bit more.

That said: over here they are limiting store capacities and people are distancing, and people should be able to avoid people with how low the capacities are for most stores atm.

francksteel: How long does the virus stay in the air when you are breathing ? I don't know, certainly more than a few seconds.
Outside ? wind...
It's not airborne.....so that's not a problem(i.e. you'd likely need to walk through a cloud of someone's cough/sneeze around when they did either one to have a chance at getting this)

francksteel: Covid pandemia, I think, should learn that to people : we are interconnected, we are social animals, we need others and we have consequences on others, every time we make decisions.
If I may be blunt/honest: to me this stance(in general) is almost as selfish as those who party in large crowds during all this.

Imo it is essentially others trying to "guilt" or coerce others into doing things to protect the asker's loved ones and themselves.

francksteel: (here in France, many people think they can go outside, in forest, on the beach... that it's not dangerous as they will be nearly alone. Yes... until others want to do the same (and why wouldn't hey ?)
Due to the nature of this virus, social distancing in such spaces is fine. It's not airborne and such measures are very likely to be sufficient in such open spaces.

francksteel: I agree that tempetarure taking doesn't seem a perfect idea, and will give a false sense of security, while wearing mask on the contrary always remind you that you are potentially infected/can be infected and that you must be careful with you and other.
Mask wearing could also possibly do that as well, though.

(i.e. make people feel more secure and thus possibly lead them to do things that could make them more likely to get infected)
----------------------------------------------------

Also, as I said, I don't have a problem with people wearing masks during all this....I just think personal freedom should be prioritized over "safety at all costs" mentality.

Also also, since most are locked down anyways, those who are elderly or who fear this virus should (imo) be the ones to lock down at home and the rest of the world should(after a good period of time, of course) be able to go back to their lives.
Auto-censorship

low rated
francksteel: Are you sure to risk your life or the others on that
"Yes"

Why? Because I take the proper precautions so the risk is mitigated to a level that is close to zero.

Also I am not overly worried, and won't let paranoia rule my life.

(And i'm not the only one...my entire family feels this way, and many i've spoken too feel the same...i.e. they want people to be safe but aren't going to get overly worried or cautious to an unneeded level over this)

BTW since you brought up possible consequences.....you DO know there can be bad(sometimes very bad) results to even good acts and things, right?

Example: You let someone in their vehicle cut in front of you to be nice and let them go first....they then go through an intersection you were also about to go through and an oncoming vehicle hits them instead of you.

Basically we cannot let what ifs and such worries rules our lives, or we are apt to become hermits/shut ins afraid to do much of anything.

francksteel: That's what was hoped 1 month ago.

Doesn't seems to fit the numbers and way of contamination, and, if you read the last link, you can understand or fear that in a supermarket - which is not really vented - there can be airborne contaminations.
Studies have shown it isn't airborne....it IS, however, droplet spread(which can hang in the air for a short time).....and can possibly be aerosolized through vents and such in buildings(researchers are still looking into that one).

Btw if it WERE airborne, those masks most people wear wouldn't stop it and many more would be sick by now.
francksteel: Articles linked
Yes, the virus is "airborne" if one counts droplet spread via coughing/sneezing....beyond that it is not(as said above).

francksteel: For me, this is just living in society.
You protect others as you would like them to protect you, full circle.
But I know I cannot convince you on that.
Yes, but people should do it of their own free will.

francksteel: How long will the doctors/nurses... will accept (or even be able) to work 80-90 hours per week and risk their lives so we can have normal lives and do non essential works / go to forest and beach ?
To be clear: I meant more I think we should lock down for a month or more(give it time to die out), then go back slowly to "life as normal" but with some measures in place....which would get lifted a little at a time. Combine that with isolating the vulnerable(which is being done anyways) and we should be able to beat this and be fair to everyone in equal amounts.

francksteel: Well, again to be blunt and honnest, not sure who is selfish.
Imo a good number are to some degree.....even those who say things like "think of this or that person" could be doing it because they don't want themselves or their loved ones to get sick.

francksteel: Or at least, wear something that say 'hey ! I took the risk of spreading and catching covid, don't heal me, focus on someone else'
Not that, but I would totally be ok with wearing something to let people know I had been around groups of people so they could know to avoid me.

francksteel: But, well, as a prefect (don't know how to explain this rank in our administration, but well, it's a very high position in France) said : "if you are in reanimation, you deserve it for not being enough careful and not following orders".
And it's a risk i'm willing to take(to go out to the park by myself to sit alone, to get groceries, etc).

While doing so I do my best to not contaminate anything(I don't touch many things anyways due to phobias/etc), and try not to cough/sneeze except into elbow/napkin, and I feel that's more than fair(compared to those partying in large groups right now or doing similar things).

francksteel: The family of the 273 doctors dead in Italy, or the at least 5 (maybe more as today) in France, the essential workers contaminated while working (and so not able to respect social distance) and now deceased have appreciated.
Thing is(and this is going to sound uncaring, but I am more for being honest than using sweet half truths), people die....even without corona, people die/have died/will continue to die(of diseases and other things).....it's not as if people would cease to die ever again if everyone wore a mask/stayed at home/etc.

Yes, I want as many to get through this and not get sick as possible, but eventually as time passes all the people who survive this(even me) will die......there's no way around that.

Also question: what about all the elderly who are stuck at home who might be in the last year or their lives who have to spend it stuck alone/nearly alone in their homes? Should they be made to isolate and spend the last months of their lives stuck in their homes and suffer because of all this? What about them?
Auto-censorship

low rated
francksteel: Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is plausible, since the virus can remain viable and infectious in aerosols for hours and on surfaces up to days (depending on the inoculum shed)
Note the term used: plausible

Also as said before, if this were airborne(not aerosolized....fully airborne) then most masks people are wearing wouldn't stop this & it wouldn't matter if you were wearing one or not(in such cases the infected levels would likely be much higher and the more common masks wouldn't stop one from giving the illness out or getting it).
-----------------------------------------------

Also please answer me this.....what about all that i've asked or brought up so far that you've ignored?

I have asked a few things of you and the majority of your replies to me recently seem to have been just you reinforcing your own stances.
====================================================

Also to all: I "tip my hat" & send my condolences to my fellow humans in Hungary due to the recent changes implemented there.

(more info in a Youtube video[at the 13:00 minute mark] linked in post 3 of the quicktopics which is linked in this thread's OP post)
GameRager: (more info in a Youtube video[at the 13:00 minute mark] linked in post 3 of the quicktopics which is linked in this thread's OP post)
Linking to a video from Sargon ? A person who has no proof/facts/data ?
That was debunked by Destiny? And basicly ever other sane person on this planet?

I think thats enough for me, no need to read further on anything.
low rated
Dreaganos: Linking to a video from Sargon ? A person who has no proof/facts/data ?
That was debunked by Destiny? And basicly ever other sane person on this planet?
So he is wrong on everything because he was possibly wrong in the past?

All he did in the video, btw, is talk about easily verifiable news articles and measures taken by some cities/towns/countries.....is the info he shows any less valid/true because he is the one sharing it?

(Also note that I have kept it to an offsite quicktopics & kept the thread mainly on good news/useful information/etc, and always asked everyone to draw their own conclusions on anything posted)

Dreaganos: I think that's enough for me, no need to read further on anything.
Fair enough....stay safe and well, as always.