There you go again, assuming that
a) people have common sense
They do(by that I meant critical thinking and checking what one reads)....most are just too lazy to use it, but many still have the capacity
to do so.
b) there is such a well-established concept such as common sense
There is(see above on point A).
You claim there is something that can be called common sense and that it is useful.
What are your proofs how it ?
Mathematics show that "common sense" can be blatantly wrong on many, many things.
Quantic mechanics, theory of relativity are just so more true than common sense and just go against so many things that common sense would lead anybody to say it's true.
I will give you some example :
- Is it possible to sum an infinite number of strictly positives numbers and still have a finite sum ?
- Is it possible for 2 events (A and B) to happen at the same time for me, but for A to happen before B in your point of view, and B to happen before A if the point of view of someone else ?
- in void (but with gravity) does a ton of lead fall faster than a single feather ?
- If I'm on train (100 miles/hour for example) and, neglecting frictions), let fall an object A) inside the train or B) by the window, where will the object touch the ground (outside the train) : behind/before/at my feet ?
- SAme train, facing its direction, I throw a ball in front of me, initial speed of the ball : 10 miles/hour. What is the speed of the ball from A) my point of view ? B) from the point of view of someone standing still outside the train ?
- same train, now I'm sending a photon : speed of the photon in A) and B ?
- double-slit experiment : electron is a wave or a particle ?
If you can answer to those questions according to what science has to say about, you clearly didn't use common sense to do so. If you need to google to answer, you clearly will see blatantly false claims and/or need to be confident in experts.
good number of people have plenty of time now(being mostly locked down and all), though.
Do you think people will have YEARS to study mathematics, economics, physics... How will people make the experiments to be really sure by themselves ?
And even so, many of them would:
- not find how to handle just the beginning how those;
- have to rely (believe) on experts to teach them how to, get to some advanced science
Alone with google/qwant... without having to rely on expert, you'll need years just to get to the level in mathematics that is needed just to begin to understand what scientifics are talking about when they speak the science of the 19th century. Not even speaking of the 20th !
To quote (from memory) a Field medal owner (Jean-Louis Lyons, 1992 or 1996 I think) :
- from 2 to 15 years old, people at school try to learn what ancient greek (2500 years from now) made in maths;
- from 16 to 18 (graduate ? I'm not sure of the terms USA use for school levels) : trying to get to 18th centuary (at least for those who specialize a bit in math, staying to 17 at most for the others)
- 18-21 : 19th centuary
- 22 - 24: until world war 2
- preparing to be a doctor (25-28 and more) : from WW2 to nowadays.
Most of the people don't have the tools to understand the tools needed to understand the tools you require to begin to use the tools needed to understand what a scientific really talks about and really means. (for myself I'm somewhere beetween the 2nd and third "tools").
And just understanding a bit of the 19th centuary mathematics, with more than 20 hours a week at school + home working on it, only a fraction of the population is ABLE to.
Look how many people just have hard time (cannot) understand just negative numbers (14th centuary), basic arithmetics (14 th centuary).
Look how many people doesn't make a diffence between :
A) If it's raining then I take my umbrella and B) If I take my umbrella then it's raining
Or how many people are able to say the correct contrary of : "Every cat are grey"
How do you want people who don't understand fractions/negatives to just have an idea of what can be true/is strictly bullshit about economics/ medicine... and can make a difference between an expert and a charlatan ?