It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: (I know, it seems like i'm being a stickler/nagging about this one point in general, but it seems odd that many countries(not just Italy) aren't reporting re-infection rates....which seems very odd/off to me)
Re-infection rates are difficult to quantify while the pandemic is spreading so quickly. A few articles on re-infections (below). While none offer much information on current re-infection rates, it does offer some good information. Unfortunately it seems to show that current tests are much less reliable than thought.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-reinfection-idUSKBN20Q1BK

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/they-recovered-from-the-coronavirus-then-they-tested-positive-again-why/ar-BB119ZIS

Snopes article:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-reinfection/
Post edited March 16, 2020 by kai2
DadJoke007: Society is coming to a halt, everything seems to stop and people lose their jobs both left and right. How do you people plan to spend your time indoors while you ride out the storm?
Preparation for an university exam, which I intended to do anyway, the current situation doesn't change that much for me.
I need to stop focusing so much on Covid-19 news though, has really distracted me for the last three weeks.
morolf: I can understand to some extent that Italians feel let down, the response from Germany and France certainly hasn't been great so far, more help should have been offered. However I want to make two points: 1. imo much of this is motivated by fear, because Germany and France also aren't well-prepared, and both see numbers of Covid-19 infections steadily rising,
As I said it wasn't my intention to blame any countries and I surely understand the fear that every country feels right now.
My intention was to focus on the lack of a concrete coordination by EU in order to fight against the emergency. This is the real problem which can and should be blamed.

morolf: I have to say I find the "Only China is helping Italy" narrative that seems to be emerging a bit perverse tbh, because the disease probably originated due to Chinese negligence (unsanitary conditions on those food markets, or lax security at the Wuhan virology lab), and EU countries (including Germany) sent a lot of protective equipment to China in January, which must be a factor in the shortages with face masks, protective suits etc. which now are a problem in many European countries.
I see your point, but let me say that I don't feel right to blame chinese people for spreading the virus: they have paid on first hand and I'm not even sure there was any negligence by them. Moreover they can't be accused to have spread it on purpose, as said by some conspiracy theory. It simply happened and I think that it could have happened anywhere.

morolf: But I agree, the EU response to the crisis so far has been deficient and could have very negative consequences for the future of the EU (which imo would be quite sad, even though I disagree with much about the present state of the EU).
This is what I meant in the first place from a political, social and economical point of view. And I would say that the future of the whole world, not only of the EU, is involved.
dr.schliemann: I see your point, but let me say that I don't feel right to blame chinese people for spreading the virus: they have paid on first hand and I'm not even sure there was any negligence by them. Moreover they can't be accused to have spread it on purpose, as said by some conspiracy theory. It simply happened and I think that it could have happened anywhere.
Obviously I don't blame Chinese people in general for the virus (though I will admit that I found reports about certain aspects of Chinese food culture which may be conducive to zoonoses rather disgusting), and of course it wasn't intentional. But it's not like China did all that much to prevent spread of the virus to other parts of the world, iirc back in January they protested against even the thought of travel restrictions for Chinese citizens. And let's not be naive: in part the response to this crisis is a competition between systems, and the CCP has every intention imo of using it for a propaganda victory for its own system (of course they're greatly aided in that by the stunning incompetence of Western elites).
I won't write more on this matter, since it might get too political, and I don't want Gog moderators to lock this thread.
morolf: I won't write more on this matter, since it might get too political, and I don't want Gog moderators to lock this thread.
You are right: I was the one who unintentionally moved the discussion to politics when I talked about EU management of the crisys. Let's simply drop the subject.
low rated
Flyingfluffypiglet: Looks like now all of EU's borders will be, finally, closed down. In France, Macron has ordered citizens to stay home, but given the rampant insecurity and likelihood of unrest, Army trucks were seen being deployed in some cities, including Paris, (see picture). Other countries such as Spain have recently deployed their military.

Meanwhile, for us in the UK.... Well apart from us being 'warned' to avoid non-essential contact (what sensible people do ANYWAY!), nothing, nada, ziltch.
Wait wait wait....lemme get this straight.....France has AN ARMY?!?

(To all: The above is a joke. It is a bit of an un-pc joke, though, so if it[or ANY future joke I make here] bothers anyone I will issue an apology to anyone offended via PM if they ask for such)

==========================================

Flyingfluffypiglet: Actually for now but who knows how long, France has for now allowed for people to go out for food/medicine, but these are to be controlled and penalties put in place.
Hopefully this won't sound wrong(how I say it), but imo the penalties are a laugh.

I mean what are they going to do....jail 1/10(or more) of the population? And even if it's just fines....do they really expect people(if enough were fined) to pay them during all this?
Post edited March 17, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: Wait wait wait....lemme get this straight.....France has AN ARMY?!?

(To all: The above is a joke. :))
A pretty lame one though, actually France even has an independent nuclear force.
low rated
Thanks for all the info( I mean it), but please don't quote snopes....I wouldn't trust them if they tried to tell me the sky was blue after the crap they pulled with other sites. :|
This report is pretty scary, to put it mildly:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Looks like extreme lockdown measures might be the only way to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths just in Britain...and they might need to be in force for two thirds of the time, until there's a vaccine (which can be expected in late 2021 at the earliest).
I don't know if such measures are sustainable over such a long time...and what, if there's never a vaccine?
I've been pretty pessimistic about this situation for the last few weeks, but this is a real downer, really grim prospects.
low rated
dr.schliemann: It simply happened and I think that it could have happened anywhere.
Unless the rumors of it being a leak(accidental) from a lab there is true.

(I think they probably aren't btw)

dr.schliemann: You are right: I was the one who unintentionally moved the discussion to politics when I talked about EU management of the crisis. Let's simply drop the subject.
I agree none of us should get TOO political, but this crisis will be tied to some aspects of politics no matter what, and tbh(noting some of what's been said so far) I think GOG is giving us a break here and relaxing that rule a bit in this case for us here......of course while by saying that I am not saying I or anyone else should take advantage of that kindness by GOG and get too political.

(And of course offering news info/tips/advice/kind words should be the biggest spotlight/focus of this thread anyways)
==========================

morolf: A pretty lame one though, actually France even has an independent nuclear force.
And some of the best nuclear power plant tech in the world.....they really put some of the rest of us to shame on that front, honestly.
low rated
morolf: Looks like extreme lockdown measures might be the only way to prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths just in Britain...and they might need to be in force for two thirds of the time, until there's a vaccine (which can be expected in late 2021 at the earliest).
I don't know if such measures are sustainable over such a long time...and what, if there's never a vaccine?
If it gets bad enough/that bad(hopefully it won't), tbh i'd rather enjoy life and go outside and not huddle like a rat in a cage waiting to see what happens(that's not to say i'd try to make anyone sick either).
low rated
GameRager: Thanks for all the info( I mean it), but please don't quote snopes....I wouldn't trust them if they tried to tell me the sky was blue after the crap they pulled with other sites. :|
I understand your issue with Snopes, but IMO the article does a good job of collating a number of interviews into an easily scanned page or two.
low rated
kai2: I understand your issue with Snopes, but IMO the article does a good job of collating a number of interviews into an easily scanned page or two.
I'm sorry if that came off wrong.....I think some of their stuff is good....I was more making a dig at snopes's reputation in general.

Thanks for the links from before, at any rate....they will likely help some out and make a good read for others. :)
GameRager: If it gets bad enough/that bad(hopefully it won't), tbh i'd rather enjoy life and go outside and not huddle like a rat in a cage waiting to see what happens(that's not to say i'd try to make anyone sick either).
Yeah, but if enough people have that attitude, it might lead to the deaths of millions of vulnerable people (and not just them if the health care system gets overwhelmed, at least some young or middle-aged healthy people will also die).
But it's a terrible situation, I don't think any society can live under lockdown for years. Extremely grim prospects, looks like there won't be a good ending to this in any case.
low rated
morolf: Yeah, but if enough people have that attitude, it might lead to the deaths of millions of vulnerable people (and not just them if the health care system gets overwhelmed, at least some young or middle-aged healthy people will also die).
I meant if it got so bad that many were already sick(like major chunks of the population), and also just one going outside maybe and sitting in the sun in their yards/etc.....you make good points, though.

morolf: Extremely grim prospects, looks like there won't be a good ending to this in any case.
I hope with all my heart you end up being wrong on this. :\