It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: Yes, but what if stuff runs out and you need something? I hope you have kind neighbors/etc?

Also I agree no one should buy that much(save some for everyone else)...just that people should stock up a reasonable amount on some things.
For now and a while I have what I need, and if indeed I happened to eventually need something that has ran out, well anything related to food does not worry me, if it's health related, well there might be in a bit of a jam, or not. While I try to cover most basis as possible, there's always a unknown factor that can butt in, but this I'll classify as a bridge.

GameRager: Agreed...some are going overboard.....hopefully some of them will share with others if need be.
Well on that one, wouldn't necessarily bank on it, but that's me.

GameRager: I hope you manage to do so and everything works out well for you, and I will be praying(fwiw) for you/yours and everyone else here.
Very kind and greatly appreciated, thank you. Right back at you so you have my best wishes.
Post edited March 13, 2020 by Flyingfluffypiglet
low rated
Sorry for this...site ate my reply and had to do it this way....numbered bits of your post correspond to my reply bits:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Buttspikes: 1. This ain't a damn "I'll buy an extra pack of aspirines just in case". We are talking about people emptying shopping centers fearing a shortage that doesn't exist and they are themselves creating by accelerating the rate at which things run out before they are replenished.

2. It's not the fact of hoarding toilet paper, but spreading panic while disregarding official directives from the government while doing so and profiting from it.

3. "Being human" also means to act like such, which is so merrily forgotten. "Oh, we are humans, of course we might get scared of things and act rashly to the detriment of others for our sakes." my arse: the moment others on the same situation as you act better than you, that sorry excuse goes to the gutter.

Fall in line or fall on a blade.
1. Do you mean a few people who take a ton of each item or just a few people taking smaller amounts?

If the former, I agree they aren't helping anyone(and i'd also give them a nasty look or talking to for doing so, or tell the store if there is a policy against such in place, etc).

If it's the latter I don't see the harm in that level of stockpiling.

Also if i'm right and you meant the former, then(again) I am not excusing such(if you thought I was).

2. Profiting? I was talking about those buying for themselves.

I said awhile back that I also loathe such profiteering types same as you & everyone else.

As for spreading panic: Even without hoarders , some of the MSM and govt notices spread panic as is, sadly.

(This isn't me excusing/trying to excuse others who do so, however)

3. It's called sympathy and compassion for your fellow man....lose it and we are no better than animals.
--------------------------------------------------------------

As for that final line of yours: *backs away slowly*

==============================================

Flyingfluffypiglet: For now and a while I have what I need, and if indeed I happened to eventually need something that has ran out, well anything related to food does not worry me, if it's health related, well there might be in a bit of a jam, or not. While I try to cover most basis as possible, there's always a unknown factor that can butt in, but this I'll classify as a bridge.
Food doesn't worry you? I knew it.....robots ARE taking over the world! ;O

(Seriously though, I still wish you the best of luck/that you stay safe & well through all this)

Flyingfluffypiglet: Well on that one, wouldn't necessarily bank on it, but that's me.
Eh, some of us have that ONE neighbor that's like family(or close enough)...and for others I like to think/hope a good number will do the right thing(or at least be willing to trade for other things).

Flyingfluffypiglet: Very kind and greatly appreciated, thank you. Right back at you so you have my best wishes.
No problem.
Post edited March 13, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: Food doesn't worry you? I knew it.....robots ARE taking over the world! ;O

(Seriously though, I still wish you the best of luck/that you stay safe & well through all this)
LOL! Robot or Borg, who knows except from me? Not worried in the sense that it's not like I have luxurious tastes and requirements diet wise, I can live off bare necessity if need be for a while. And thanks again.

GameRager: Eh, some of us have that ONE neighbor that's like family(or close enough)...and for others I like to think/hope a good number will do the right thing(or at least be willing to trade for other things).
The close category goes without saying and did not enter the equation, was more referring to the 'at large' here.
Well, Denmark has officially shut down its borders for all non-essential travelers except Danish citizens. Still plenty of food and video games here so I can sit this one out hopefully. But it might take years to repair the financial damage that this will cost and that might be the worst part. So many people will lose their jobs and that's just sad.

EDIT a word.
Post edited March 13, 2020 by jepsen1977
Meanwhile in UK, Prime Minister said that nothing can be done to stop the virus spreading, and citizens have to catch it in order to build up "herd immunity", hence preventing the disease to come back in the future. Some measures will be taken to delay the spread and thereby minimise the suffering, but, according to him, «many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time».

It's a different kind of strategy, maybe wrong or maybe not: I think it's not possible to foresee what is going to happen, not even in the immediate future.
Anyway his words will surely be remembered in the future.
NEWS:
US President Trump declares a "national emergency" due to the coronavirus pandemic. He said the action would "open up access to up to $50 billion," which he described as "a large amount of money for states and territories and localities in our shared fight against this disease."

He apparently changed his mind on the subject, as this is what he wrote on Twitter just a couple of days ago: "So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!".
dr.schliemann: It's a different kind of strategy, maybe wrong or maybe not: I think it's not possible to foresee what is going to happen, not even in the immediate future.
It's sick and cynical imo, and I don't think it will work, the epidemic will spiral out of all control and overstrain the NHS (which isn't all that great anyway, iirc its number of intensive care beds is quite a bit lower than in Italy), leading to terrible scenes. Johnson may think he's really clever, but imo it's likely this will be the defining moment of his political career and tarnish it forever.
Germany is de facto doing the same, though with a bit more restrictions like school closures. Still not nearly enough though to prevent disaster.
dr.schliemann: Meanwhile in UK, Prime Minister said that nothing can be done to stop the virus spreading, and citizens have to catch it in order to build up "herd immunity", hence preventing the disease to come back in the future. Some measures will be taken to delay the spread and thereby minimise the suffering, but, according to him, «many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time».

It's a different kind of strategy, maybe wrong or maybe not: I think it's not possible to foresee what is going to happen, not even in the immediate future.
That scientist advisor of his is assuming a lot with that one, including that it'll behave and not mutate again and again and all the rest that goes with it. Does he reckon that herd immunity also can be/has been built against, for example, the flu and all its variants, hence preventing it from coming back year after year?

In any case with that one, I'd like to see them all to lead by example and therefore go get exposed and catch it. Surely that is not asking too much now, or is it?
low rated
Flyingfluffypiglet: LOL! Robot or Borg, who knows except from me? Not worried in the sense that it's not like I have luxurious tastes and requirements diet wise, I can live off bare necessity if need be for a while. And thanks again.
Sounds like me.....I can live happily on a ton of basic/cheap foods. :)

Flyingfluffypiglet: The close category goes without saying and did not enter the equation, was more referring to the 'at large' here.
Well let's hope for the best, then. :)
=======================================

dr.schliemann: Meanwhile in UK, Prime Minister said that nothing can be done to stop the virus spreading, and citizens have to catch it in order to build up "herd immunity", hence preventing the disease to come back in the future. Some measures will be taken to delay the spread and thereby minimise the suffering, but, according to him, «many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time».
Is he insane?!?

He is essentially saying "Who cares if people die?" :\

dr.schliemann: It's a different kind of strategy, maybe wrong or maybe not: I think it's not possible to foresee what is going to happen, not even in the immediate future.
I bet...and not for good reasons, most likely.
Post edited March 13, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
dr.schliemann:
Sachys: mate, they banned political threads not related to gaming on here. you should know by now how these kinds of threads end up - whether or not you intend this to be political, thats how it will end. in a flamewar.
Considering Woody Guthrie despised the attitudes that underlie GOG's community policies, you might want to ask yourself if you're coming, or going. o.O
low rated

Amazing. UK "leadership" outdoes them all in terms of retardery (which in itself is quite an accomplishment). Simply astonishing!

This doofus hasn't heard yet that there is no "immunity" and that once you got it and recovered, there's a good chance you'll catch it again? Or does he not care? Or are the stories true that politicians hope to get rid of all the old and sick people that way, in order to keep the illusion of a working welfare state (free healthcare and all) alive for a while longer - at least for the people who happen to survive this ASININE policy.
WHO: "Deadly mistake" not to act more forceful at the start
Published March 13, 2020 at 7:18 pm

FOREIGN. The WHO is now calling on Europe's countries to act fully to stop the corona spread. Europe is the epicenter of the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

Not China but Europe is now the epicenter of the corona virus. The World Health Organization (WHO) said this on Friday.

Europe is now reporting more cases daily than China did during the height of its epidemic, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus explained during a press conference tonight. Europe has more deaths and infection than the rest of the world has together.

Huge efforts are needed to stop the virus.

- "Our message is: You have to take extensive measures. Just testing, or just contagious, or just introducing quarantines, or just using social distancing is not enough."

"Do everything. All countries that look at the experiences of other countries with major epidemics and think it won't happen to them themselves make a fatal mistake," said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

The solution, according to WHO, is massive efforts for social distancing and testing of people. The whole community must gather to fight the infection.

In total, around 5,000 people in the world have died from the virus. Today, Italy experienced its worst day ever, with about 250 dead in a day. The total death toll in the country is 1,266. According to SVT Text, the country has 17,660 infected, which is an extreme increase of 2,547 just since yesterday. The country has a registered mortality rate of 7.2 percent, which is still rising rapidly as newly infected people are allowed to die.
This is what gross incompetence and continued inaction has done to Europe.

They knew this was coming. They had 2 months to prepare. They did nothing. Germany closed its schools today until mid-April. By then, we'll have more of an idea just how many thousands of lives the government's gross incompetence has cost.
Post edited March 13, 2020 by fronzelneekburm
fronzelneekburm: This doofus hasn't heard yet that there is no "immunity" and that once you got it and recovered, there's a good chance you'll catch it again?
I don't think that's known for sure, it's unclear if and to what extent those who have recovered from Covid-19 have immunity. There are some reports about people who have caught it again, but could also be cases of people who hadn't fully recovered and just relapsed. But I agree with you, this "just let it run wild, nothing to be done about" approach is as retarded as it gets. Hard not to get the impression that some might indeed see it as a chance to get rid of expensive pensioners.
low rated
morolf: I don't think that's known for sure, it's unclear if and to what extent those who have recovered from Covid-19 have immunity. There are some reports about people who have caught it again, but could also be cases of people who hadn't fully recovered and just relapsed.
That may well be true, but like you say: we don't know for sure. And since we've done a pretty good job at underestimating this virus so far, it may be time to start to err on the side of caution.

Throwing your arms up in the air and proclaiming "Let's all get infected for teh greater good!" sounds absolutely mind-bogglingly Jonestown-tier suicidally idiotic and in more civilised days, any politician making such a moronic statement would be swiftly guillotined by an angry mob or put into a barrel and sunk at the bottom of the sea. Alas...

Flyingfluffypiglet: That scientist advisor of his is assuming a lot with that one, including that it'll behave and not mutate again and again and all the rest that goes with it. Does he reckon that herd immunity also can be/has been built against, for example, the flu and all its variants, hence preventing it from coming back year after year?
This virus, like the others of the Coronaviridae family, seems to be able to mutate very quickly. A study tracked back the origin of the infection present in Italy thanks to genome analyses and it proved that the virus probably came from southern Germany because the italian and german viruses genomes share some mutations not present in the chinese strain.
However, after the first infection, the immunity system should be able to identify the virus, at least to certain extent, even in case of mutation: that's what happens with the seasonal flu. In other words supposition of Johnson's scientific advisor is probably that, after a cycle of contagion, SARS-CoV-2 could become similar to the seasonal influenza or wishfully vanish as previously happened to the first SARS-CoV.
I agree that there seems to be a lot of assumptions and speculations in this strategy and I think it's very hard to tell what's going to happen.
The Conversation has a pretty good discussion of "herd immunity" and the UK's strategy for dealing with COVID-19.

http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-can-herd-immunity-really-protect-us-133583

The UK strategy is no simply allowing people to die.

The UK strategy is:

+ coming to the realization that containment has not worked elsewhere and is probably not possible

+ instead of containment, moving to a strategey of slowing the virus spread through the population

+ slowing the spread will hopefully keep the emergency and medical systems from being overwhelmed with huge numbers of infections all-at-once, while also...

+ allowing the emergency system to focus first on treatment of the most vulnerable populations

+ it is hoped that after 70% of the population has recovered from the virus that the antibodies in that 70% will "innoculate" the society in the future, but currently this is theory

So, that's the plan. It might no sound perfect -- and I am not advocating for or against this strategy -- but it's not as bad as some feel at first glance.

(edit: the biggest problem with the "herd immunity" question regarding COVID-19 is that SARS studies 10 years ago showed that immunity did develop after recovery, but... it wasn't long-term. With COVID-19's relationship to SARS, any immunity might be too short-term for "herd immunity" to be a thing)
Post edited March 14, 2020 by kai2