It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: Also tbh I worry more about third world nations "less bright" populaces doing such things as some sort of placation to their deity of choice or due to some superstition(like with what some did to try curing aids in some countries).
Guess you're talking about this: U.S. Spent $1.4 Billion To Stop HIV By Promoting Abstinence. Did It Work?
morolf: I remember when the epidemic started in China there was a lot of wishful thinking in western media "Oh, this will shake the Chinese system to its core, might be China's Chernobyl and end the rule of the CCP"...lol, looks more likely now that it will be OUR Chernobyl and that the Chinese government will look remarkably efficient and competent by comparison.
Agree with you about Merkel's government and the general situation in Germany. They had two months time to prepare, but basically did nothing, except warning against a non-existent "panic" and spreading this "It's not worse than the flu" nonsense. Sad and disgusting, but one probably shouldn't have expected anything different in this country anymore.
Agreed on every single point. We talked a bit about my experience in China in the past and all I can say is that this whole ordeal just put a big, fat axclamation point to every single observation I've made.

It's depressing having to witness the sheeple being herded to their doom - either by gross incompetence or malice - probably both.

US won't allow any Germans to enter the country. India cancelled all German visas. This is just strong man posturing, since they're just as fucked. But I can't argue with their reasoning: Germany has taken zero preventive measures. True that. Thanks, Merkel!

Austria and Denmark have closed all their schools. i wonder how much longer this farce will have to go on until the German government effects basic measures like closing down schools.
morolf: Agreed, and it also shows again how hollow much of this talk of European solidarity and cooperation is. So far it looks like every EU country will just look out for itself, with little coordination, and lots of incompetence.
Agreed. The amount of arrogance/ignorance of especially politicians is appalling. Each countries directorate for emergency should collaborate more like we have in Interpol.

Also, many don't know or think about:
You can still be a carrier in the incubation period BEFORE any symptoms.
You can still be a carrier even if you get vaccinated and/or are not affected directly.
You can still get sick even if you get vaccinated.
And no, vitamin C aren't going to help you now... (just read that people are hamstring vitamin C)

EDIT: And mobile phones and keyboards are true nesting place for viruses/bacteria. I'm going to join Red Cross again just to get my hands on anti-bac...
Post edited March 12, 2020 by sanscript
low rated
Not so much that as other countries that might try to do dumb things to prevent the spread of this and lead instead to spreading it more or harming others needlessly/cruelly over fears/worry.

(Some in some countries already attack those suspected of being sick of other illnesses, for example, due to fear or superstition)
low rated
GameRager: Also tbh I worry more about third world nations "less bright" populaces doing such things as some sort of placation to their deity of choice or due to some superstition(like with what some did to try curing aids in some countries).
KasperHviid: Guess you're talking about this: U.S. Spent $1.4 Billion To Stop HIV By Promoting Abstinence. Did It Work?
This was brilliant.

Most western countries haven't exactly been 'more bright' than these supposedly 'less bright' 3rd world countries - look at the leaders of some of the richest countries and their incompetence in this whole matter.

'It's no worse than the flu. Just go to work'

Criminal and atrocious behaviour, heads should roll for something like that. Of course their primary concern is the stock market, the economy, and approval ratings. Of course they want people to go to work, business as usual.
KasperHviid: Guess you're talking about this: U.S. Spent $1.4 Billion To Stop HIV By Promoting Abstinence. Did It Work?
rojimboo: This was brilliant.

Most western countries haven't exactly been 'more bright' than these supposedly 'less bright' 3rd world countries - look at the leaders of some of the richest countries and their incompetence in this whole matter.

Criminal and atrocious behaviour, heads should roll for something like that. Of course their primary concern is the stock market, the economy, and approval ratings. Of course they want people to go to work, business as usual.
Even if it was poorly worded and then some, what I read into what he's writing is that poor countries with less medical know-how are much more vulnerable to the effects of the disease and less likely to deal with the spreading of it.

Let us stay on topic and take it in the spirit it probably was intended instead of grabbing the low-hanging fruit.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by user deleted
low rated

I actually agree with this 100%.....well minus the heads rolling thing, that is.
======================================

DadJoke007: Even if it was poorly worded and then some, what I read into what he's writing is that poor countries with less medical know-how are much more vulnerable to the effects of the disease and less likely to deal with the spreading of it.
That is exactly what I meant.....sometimes what I want to say will come off the wrong way due to me not being as eloquent as others(i.e. not being able to say what I want to in the best/right way).
Post edited March 12, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
DadJoke007: Even if it was poorly worded and then some, what I read into what he's writing is that poor countries with less medical know-how are much more vulnerable to the effects of the disease and less likely to deal with the spreading of it.

Let us stay on topic and take it in the spirit it probably was intended instead of grabbing the low-hanging fruit.
Fair enough - let us give him the benefit of the doubt instead of 'grabbing the low hanging fruit' and take his words literally about 'less bright' 3rd world countries. Fair enough.

But consider we have only words and 0s and 1s on a computer screen to go by. It's ok to clarify these things, or to choose words more carefully, to avoid confusion.

And you were very kind to him about how, and how much, you read into his short statement. Very. Kind. But that's ok. It's ok to be nice. It should be the status quo.
Irrelevant... :)
Post edited March 12, 2020 by sanscript
fronzelneekburm: Agreed on every single point. We talked a bit about my experience in China in the past and all I can say is that this whole ordeal just put a big, fat axclamation point to every single observation I've made.
Have you watched the interview with Bruce Aylward, one of the WHO people who was on a fact-finding mission to China? He was really impressed with all the measures the Chinese were taking, and also said the health care system was well-equipped (better in some ways than European countries, e.g. with number of ventilators) and that the Chinese used some pretty advanced methods to keep people infected with Covid-19 alive. Sounded like he thought the mortality rate could be quite a bit higher in Western countries. I don't have much sympathy for the CCP, but imo it's naive to still think that we in the West are so much more advanced than China. The coming epidemic could be a shocking demonstration of the shift in power relations that has been underway for some time. I really don't have much confidence in the competence of our political leadership, and tbh also not in the capacity of Western societies for sticking together in adversity, given how polarized politics has become in the last few years.

rojimboo: Fair enough - let us give him the benefit of the doubt instead of 'grabbing the low hanging fruit' and take his words literally about 'less bright' 3rd world countries. Fair enough.

But consider we have only words and 0s and 1s on a computer screen to go by. It's ok to clarify these things, or to choose words more carefully, to avoid confusion.

And you were very kind to him about how, and how much, you read into his short statement. Very. Kind. But that's ok. It's ok to be nice. It should be the status quo.
Given the context and the power of deduction, his point was obvious, even if the "less bright" part was unnecessary.

Instead of derailing threads when you dislike someone, contact moderators if there are reasons to do so or PM the person you have issues with. Drama, bitching and flamewars is just annoying for everyone else to witness and makes the forum a worse place.
low rated
DadJoke007: the "less bright" part was unnecessary.
Yeah, I thought so too
Instead of derailing threads when you dislike someone, contact moderators if there are reasons to do so or PM the person you have issues with. Drama, bitching and flamewars is just annoying for everyone else to witness and makes the forum a worse place.
Perhaps extend the courtesy to other people as well?

As in, I did say other on-topic stuff too in my post, ya know, I didn't just attack him for one phrase he used, and that was the entire point of my post...But whatever. If there's one thing I've learned, misconceptions are a bitch to make right.

For what it's worth, sorry for apparently 'derailing' the entire thread by never mentioning the corona virus in my post and staying relevant. Even though I did.
falloutttt: Have a great day everyone, and don't stress too much about something that is out of our control. If there is such thing as control to begin with.

All the best! <3
What's stressful is that plenty of things to stop this could be under our control from quarantines, basic supplies like preppers have or effective disinfection measures for people that are moving around or workers delivering supplies.

babark: Also, I'm curious with the toilet paper craze now...what are people stockpiling toilet paper for? What are they doing with it that they weren't doing before? Why do they need more? It's so weird!
morolf: It's to be prepared for self-isolation, or for the possibility that your region is placed under lockdown like Wuhan and northern Italy.
Would be pretty annoying, if you were put under quarantine, and didn't have enough toilet paper for a few weeks, don't you think?
This is what happens when we haven't got bumguns let alone the 3 seashells.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by Spectre
low rated
sanscript: I understood what you meant and I actually see no fault there... the subtle hint lies in the word "supposedly".
To be fair/honest that bit you quoted was by Rojimboo, not me.
Trump bans all travel from Europe, now we'll just have to wait for EU/Europe to take some action as well. Who am I kidding, if any action is eventually taken at some point it will be too little and too late.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by user deleted