It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GameRager: What your people should be asking those in charge is this: How are people going to buy groceries if they work in one of the shut down fields/industries/professions and don't have much saved up?

Also not to sound rude/etc, but that sounds like overkill......if I lived under such a restrictive system(overly strict nation wide directives on even those areas not affected) i'd be pissed to no end.
This is the situation at the moment: Prime Minister spoke to the Nation just few minutes ago.
It's not much different than what happened in the Hubei region of China but there is one, important difference: Hubei is 2% of whole China in terms of territory and roughly 4% in terms of population, while 100% of Italy is locked down.
Aside from COVID-19 itself, Italy is facing an economical disaster and probably a social one too.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by dr.schliemann
dr.schliemann: Thank you.
You know, I'm not worried for myself, but for the people around me, especially the beloved ones and for Italy itself: consider that in total we approximately have 5000 intensive care units in the whole country, 1000 of which (20%) are currently used for the COVID-19 patients only.
Flyingfluffypiglet: That's usually what good souls do: worry more about others than they do for themselves.
Thank you, but I'm not really sure to be a good soul. :-)
Post edited March 12, 2020 by dr.schliemann
Meanwhile in Manila, Philippines the number of COVID-19 positive cases increased to 44. Talks of community transmission, localized lockdown, and some panic-buying are starting to emerge. The Dept. of Health and President Duterte are still optimistic that the Philippines will wing it in the coming days, weeks, and months.
low rated
morolf: By some reports the Italian health care system is already close to collapse, so drastic measures are probably necessary.
Obviously people need to get food though, I hope the Italian government manages to organize efficient means of distribution soon.
Anyway, I think I'll buy additional supplies tomorrow or on friday, in case such lockdowns are ordered in Germany as well (a distinct possibility the way things are going).
That sucks(and I mean that 100%)......I hope they can keep fed and everyone can stay safe.....I just feel that what is essentially a total lockdown of the ENTIRE country is overkill, plus it likely won't help with morale much(people meeting even with masks in small groups would likely lift spirits somewhat, imo).

Regardless, I hope this nips the problem in the bud and actually does something to offset all the negatives of such measures.
===================================

dr.schliemann: This is the situation at the moment: Prime Minister spoke to the Nation just few minutes ago.
It's not much different than what happened in the Hubei region of China but there is one, important difference: Hubei is 2% of whole China in terms of territory and roughly 4% in terms of population, while 100% of Italy is locked down.
That is what I meant.....to me it seems like overkill. I mean why can't small groups meet for short amount of time with masks on(and while keeping a bit of distance from one another)? To me it'd be a more fair compromise/plan of action as it would limit spread AND keep morale/spirits up as well.

dr.schliemann: Aside from COVID-19 itself, Italy is facing an economical disaster and probably a social one too.
It's likely you are right....that is why I worry a bit for everyone involved/impacted by this, especially those that are less well off or in more affected areas.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: people meeting even with masks in small groups would likely lift spirits somewhat, imo.
They don't have enough masks for private citizens.
I agree that it's an extreme measure, but I don't think the Italians are doing it just for fun, the government must believe that it's the only way to prevent a total collapse of the health care system throughout the country.
Not to be pessimistic, but most nations within EU and/or nations with close collaborations with EU are probably quite fucked. The bureaucratic cogs are slow to turn as it is and the ideological beliefs that keep the cogs from turning will hinder adequate measures to counter covid-19.
Agreed, and it also shows again how hollow much of this talk of European solidarity and cooperation is. So far it looks like every EU country will just look out for itself, with little coordination, and lots of incompetence.
low rated
morolf: They don't have enough masks for private citizens.
Aren't they mainly to prevent spread from sick people to others rather than the other way around? If so then couldn't they just mainly give them out to sick people and wipe down surfaces/instruct people on how to handle surfaces to avoid getting sick that way?

Also even with people in their houses, if the disease is even semi airborne it likely won't help much over what I suggested(well unless people have hermetically/etc sealed homes, anyways).

morolf: I agree that it's an extreme measure, but I don't think the Italians are doing it just for fun, the government must believe that it's the only way to prevent a total collapse of the health care system throughout the country.
The problem, imo, is it's not a FULL lockdown and they waited too long....what they are doing seems like trying to put a band-aid and such on a limb that's gone gangrenous already.

=======================================
DadJoke007: Not to be pessimistic, but most nations within EU and/or nations with close collaborations with EU are probably quite fucked. The bureaucratic cogs are slow to turn as it is and the ideological beliefs that keep the cogs from turning will hinder adequate measures to counter covid-19.
Well at least they don't throw plague filled bodies over the walls of the towns/cities of their enemies anymore. o.0 :\

(To all: The above is a bit of dark humor....I use such to cope with such things.....just wanted everyone to know I am NOT taking the p*ss with this)

====================================

morolf: Agreed, and it also shows again how hollow much of this talk of European solidarity and cooperation is. So far it looks like every EU country will just look out for itself, with little coordination, and lots of incompetence.
One would think with an EU type system in place they'd ALSO have a network to distribute food/medicine/needed workers in times of crisis.....if they don't then imo that is very incompetent.
GameRager:
People can spread the virus already before showing any symptoms, so having just the obviously sick wearing face masks wouldn't be enough.
And while masks don't offer total protection, I think the "masks are useless" claims are exaggerated...I posted a story earlier in the thread about spread of the virus on buses and public transport, and according to that masks do offer protection. The issue just is that at least in much of Europe you can't get any anymore as a private citizen.
Italy is actually as close to a full lockdown as possible imo, obviously you can't completely shut down all economic activity.
Re airborne spread of the virus: I don't think there's any risk of the virus entering your house by air from the outside, and probably also not really of catching it through the air when you're walking outside. As I understand it, the risk is more in enclosed spaces like buildings (maybe spread through air conditioning?), public transport etc.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by morolf
The purpose of the masks is herd protection. If you have covid-19 yourself and don't know it you protect everyone else from you with a mask, not the other way around. But sure, it might help for self-protection as well.

A worrisome thought that popped into my head before. During the extreme heat, there were pyromaniacs who took advantage of that to start fires and put people at risk. Will there be psycho people out there who get sick and decide to spread it around as much as possible? The damage such people could do is scary to think about.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by user deleted
low rated
morolf: People can spread the virus already before showing any symptoms, so having just the obviously sick wearing face masks wouldn't be enough.
You're right.....and I forgot about the asymptomatic nature of this for a moment there....my mistake.

morolf: And while masks don't offer total protection, I think the "masks are useless" claims are exaggerated...I posted a story earlier in the thread about spread of the virus on buses and public transport, and according to that masks do offer protection. The issue just is that at least in much of Europe you can't get any anymore as a private citizen.
The problem as I see it is that many don't wear them properly, breathe through them correctly, etc....rendering them less useful to those who do so.

Also people cannot wear them at all times(during sleeping they'd likely shift around, for example, and they need to eat).

morolf: Italy is actually as close to a full lockdown as possible imo, obviously you can't completely shut down all economic activity.
Well unless you're the "mad lad" that is Madagascar.

(Speaking of them, I wonder how they're doing atm?)

morolf: Re airborne spread of the virus: I don't think there's any risk of the virus entering your house by air from the outside, and probably also not really of catching it through the air when you're walking outside. As I understand it, the risk is more in enclosed spaces like buildings (maybe spread through air conditioning?), public transport etc.
Still, most homes are not sealed against such like some buildings are.....so even staying at home isn't a foolproof solution.....though I agree it might help a good deal in the end if done right/by all or most.
DadJoke007: The purpose of the masks is herd protection.
True, that's their primary purpose, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But it does offer some individual protection to the wearer as well (at the very least it keeps you from touching your mouth and nose).
DadJoke007: A worrisome thought that popped into my head before. During the extreme heat, there were pyromaniacs who took advantage of that to start fires and put people at risk. Will there be psycho people out there who get sick and decide to spread it around as much as possible? The damage such people could do is scary to think about.
There's certainly potential for that, but imo the bigger risk is people who might have only mild symptoms and just don't care about self-quarantine..."why should I forego my fun and change my life, just for the sake of some old people who would die soon anyway...not my problem if others are weak enough to die of the virus".
GameRager: Also people cannot wear them at all times(during sleeping they'd likely shift around, for example, and they need to eat).
That's silly, masks are for going outside, especially something like public transport (enclosed space, many other people, sometimes in very close proximity), obviously people don't wear them at home.
And anyway, the issue is moot, there aren't masks available for private citizens anyway, the health care system has priority.
Post edited March 12, 2020 by morolf
low rated
DadJoke007: The purpose of the masks is herd protection. If you have covid-19 yourself and don't know it you protect everyone else from you with a mask, not the other way around. But sure, it might help for self-protection as well.
Good points.

As for herd protection, I am hoping once enough asymptomatic people recover(and stay that way) it'll eventually do what a vaccine would albeit with messier results.

(Although a vaccine would be preferable)

DadJoke007: A worrisome thought that popped into my head before. During the extreme heat, there were pyromaniacs who took advantage of that to start fires and put people at risk. Will there be psycho people out there who get sick and decide to spread it around as much as possible? The damage such people could do is scary to think about.
A few got caught(afaik) trying to do that already...but it was only a few people.

Also tbh I worry more about third world nations "less bright" populaces doing such things as some sort of placation to their deity of choice or due to some superstition(like with what some did to try curing aids in some countries).

(Note to all: Not trying to knock/mock anyone in said countries too much, or for bad reasons, with the above line)
========================================

morolf: True, that's their primary purpose, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. But it does offer some individual protection to the wearer as well (at the very least it keeps you from touching your mouth and nose).
The question I wonder about is: What would people do when their nose itches? o.0

(I am honestly a bit curious about that, btw...many will scratch without thinking)

morolf: There's certainly potential for that, but imo the bigger risk is people who might have only mild symptoms and just don't care about self-quarantine..."why should I forego my fun and change my life, just for the sake of some old people who would die soon anyway...not my problem if others are weak enough to die of the virus".
We had that....some guy in MO was under self-quarantine and went to an event(either music or sporting) anyways, and now everyone there has to get tested and maybe quarantined as well.....some people sadly don't give a damn about others.

morolf: That's silly, masks are for going outside, especially something like public transport (enclosed space, many other people, sometimes in very close proximity), obviously people don't wear them at home.
What if you have some at home who are sick and some who aren't, and the not sick(or sick) cannot go to another location for some reason?

morolf: And anyway, the issue is moot, there aren't masks available for private citizens anyway, the health care system has priority.
I am guessing you mean doctors/nurses/etc by this?

Also even though they SAY they don't have any for private citizens I am willing to BET the rich/powerful will get some anyways. :\
WHO website and CDC don't recommend masks for non sick people. People thinking surgical masks filter which is stupid. It prevents people from transmitting if you get sprayed in the face but does nothing for fine droplets. Don't know why people seem to trust social media rather than proper sources.
low rated
kharille: WHO website and CDC don't recommend masks for non sick people.
Imo they should(albeit they of course should also prioritize mask usage in times of tight supply).....as others said it can go without showing symptoms in someone for a good amount of time.

kharille: People thinking surgical masks filter which is stupid. It prevents people from transmitting if you get sprayed in the face but does nothing for fine droplets. Don't know why people seem to trust social media rather than proper sources.
For full protection one needs the kinds of masks seen in some films...full face masks and/or those with bulky filters, etc.....I also wonder how many will be come more complaceent and let their guard down while thinking putting a mask on makes them 100% protected from this. :\