It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Makotolia: Personally, I hope zeo would take his time dealing with his real/offline life. He doesn’t really “owe” us anything after all—that’s why the word is “granted”, I think?
+1
BranjoHello: Well, every once in a while there comes a time when I feel obliged to stand before the crowd and say something that probably many others are thinking but no one dares to say for some reason.

1. Delegation of duty

2. Frequency of updates

Thanks for reading and good luck with the organization!
I've shared my views with him privately in the past, and sometimes in the thread. So I don't object to you having opinions nor voicing them, though personally I might have tended to do it privately first.

I do think there are some assumptions that need unpacking here though:

1. What zeo wishes (or the community who collective donate and participate) aside, is finkleroy available to do this? Does finkleroy wish to take it on solo/sola? Maybe.

zeo was the first host of this GA, and what, the 4th host of the GoG GA (with one of those being a very short interim). The Sachys/Fox GA series was somewhat similar. But that's a small group in the scheme of things, so I'm not convinced people are secretly dying for the chance at a turn hosting semi-permanent GAs.

But anyway, if you're thinking finkleroy specifically, I assume they are capable of having that conversation if finkleroy actually wanted to do what you're proposing. In the scheme of things, it's an unpaid volunteer gig, and one that juggles a lot of keys over the years. I don't assume anyone wants to take on the gig. Maybe someone does, sure. If so, I'd suggest they reach out to him individually.

2. I see where you're coming from but I don't think the math really changes that much posting 2x per month vs. 1x per month, certainly at an individual level, though it might feeeeel better. It does, perhaps, force people asking for games to decide when the first list comes out whether to save their asks until the 2nd list comes out. I'm not sure that flow would be much better, personally, but it would be different.

We're also coming out of the holiday season, and a few people (like me) may also have been doing some year-end cleanout. zeo/finkleroy could probably tell you better than I, but if I recall we've had some slower months. Perhaps if we were optimizing it should be when they hit 50 keys (though quality will vary).

IDK, short of paying someone to manage a system, as others have mentioned mostly I'm happy they keep volunteering their time. Could it be better? Technically, sure. Could I also be married to a Hollywood star? I mean, technically, sure.

Edit: It occurs to me that my own personal reluctance to manage this particular GA doesn't really have anything to do with the keys or spreadsheets, but all the fussing with chat settings, and moreso having to research and make the call on who is "legit community" vs. who should be denied. Perhaps not all that different from IRL responsibilities, but even with relatively low stakes it just sounds like a bummer to me.

I think most of us would agree zeo has handled that aspect of the gig exceptionally well and with tact. That has value.
Post edited March 01, 2019 by bler144
I have sometimes read, and rarely commented on, the forums. However, I have always been impressed with the excellent job that Zeogold has been doing, and wish to heartily congratulate and thank him for a job well done--even though it isn't over yet.
Thanks!
Themken: I have been worried. Pneumonia, accidents and worse... but maybe it is just a broken computer and a jammed schedule.
My bet is he was probably tasked by The Ancient Ones to take down the secret evil starfish organization and that stuff takes time
BranjoHello: <snip>
Zeo is busy as you said with his RL schedule. I can appreciate you are all chomping at the bit to get your requested games and play, but really, the thread requests aren't going anywhere, so relax and please be patient. In the meantime, post in some of the other threads here to help keep the forum a welcome and fun place to visit!

If both zeo and finkleroy are comfortable with a hand-over of responsibilities I don't think you'll find many who would argue against it.

The giveaway should be updated whenever and however the volunteer wants to. If you start putting a obligation for frequent updates on our volunteers you might find they will burn out even faster. As for setting a specific day or time, this would result in a massive mad scramble once a month and next to nothing for the rest (the donation flow and expiry of keys also affects updates).. This isn't a good thing for the forum as a whole, as we want people back here as often as possible to keep strong community involvement going. Lowering the non-daggered limit change to 2 sounds dandy to me though.
I would like Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (daggered game.) Thanks
(nevermind)
Post edited March 05, 2019 by Qwertw
For my games this month.....

Can I get Quest of Dungeons, Forts and From the Depths? And for my daggered games, King's Table - The Legend of Ragnarok and Overcast Walden and the Werewolf

Thanks!
Post edited March 06, 2019 by Kelefane
Can I get Dear Esther: Landmark Edition?
May I request F1 2015, Living Legends: The Frozen Fear Collection, and Still Not Dead?

Thank you.
ofthenexus: May I request F1 2015, Living Legends: The Frozen Fear Collection, and Still Not Dead?

Thank you.
Everyone's waiting for Zeogold's next update, but you...
high rated
As I said on the GOG Edition thread, thanks to everyone for being so patient, and an extra thanks to AB2012 for keeping track of requests!

Makotolia: Hi zeo, if still available, may I have Regions Of Ruin?
Lone_Scout: Hi! May I ask for Streets of Rage and Surgeon Simulator? Thank you!
Korotan: Can I get the Star Trek Online DLC?
ashwald: May I have Dungeon of the Endless, Fall of the New Age Premium Edition, Satellite Reign and Eternam (†)?
CervelloYM: May I request Astebreed and Steel Storm, please? And GALAK-Z if I may. edit: adding the third game of the month.
blastradius: Can I request Hanger World, Necro Immortalis, and Ramen, please?
Rosalumina: Shantae and the Pirate's Curse please? The Wii-U one.
zejango: May I have Enclave and Pressure?
Rosalumina: Can I ask for The Ship: Murder Party?
zlaywal: I'd like to ask for A Boy and His Blob and Carmageddon: Max Damage. In the meantime, thanks for your time.
Microfishd: I would like to humbly ask for the daggered game Lead & Gold:Gangs of the Wild West Thank you very much either way!
Pouyou-pouyou: Since it's the end of the month, I'd also like to ask for Purrfect Date and Hostage Rescue Mission (daggered). Thank you.
kmcoolice: I'd like to request for Dear Esther.
Sentinel26: I would like Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (daggered game.) Thanks
Kelefane: For my games this month.....

Can I get Quest of Dungeons, Forts and From the Depths? And for my daggered games, King's Table - The Legend of Ragnarok and Overcast Walden and the Werewolf

Thanks!
ofthenexus: May I request F1 2015, Living Legends: The Frozen Fear Collection, and Still Not Dead?

Thank you.
All granted.

Rosalumina: Can I get Dear Esther: Landmark Edition?
Beaten to it, sorry.

BellatorLudum: Hello, Can I ask for Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock Thank
I'm afraid you don't really qualify for the Community Giveaway, sorry. As said on the other edition, hang around more and return later.
Denied due to lack of participation.
Post edited March 08, 2019 by zeogold
zeogold: As I said on the GOG Edition thread, thanks to everyone for being so patient, and an extra thanks to AB2012 for keeping track of requests!

Kelefane: For my games this month.....

Thanks!
zeogold:

Thank you.
zeogold: All granted.

Rosalumina: Can I get Dear Esther: Landmark Edition?
zeogold: Beaten to it, sorry.

BellatorLudum: Hello, Can I ask for Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock Thank
zeogold: I'm afraid you don't really qualify for the Community Giveaway, sorry. As said on the other edition, hang around more and return later.
Denied due to lack of participation.
I never got a message from you about these games I requested.
Big, big thanks go to zeogold and to Cecil for Hanger World, Ramen and Necro Immortalis.
BranjoHello: Well, every once in a while there comes a time when I feel obliged to stand before the crowd and say something that probably many others are thinking but no one dares to say for some reason.

As someone who enjoys a good organization I come before this community with best intentions to address two points that I believe should be solved in order for the Community Giveaways to progress in the right direction.

1. Delegation of duty
Our friend Zeo has done an absolutely amazing job since he took upon him the organization of both Community Giveaways. Lately he has become much more busy in RL since his college duties began. I suggest that Zeo cuts his organization efforts here by 50%, and since finkleroy is already helping him out I guess he's the best candidate to take upon himself the entire organization of Non-GOG Edition Community Giveaway. This would leave Zeo with GOG Edition Community Giveaway and with one person focused on one part of the Community Giveaways I believe both Giveaways would prosper organization wise.
It's absolutely imperative that everyone understands I make this suggestions under the angle of honoring Zeo's efforts and rewarding his commitment and not punishing him for his justified absence lately.
I haven't talked privately with either party about this, this is just an out of the blue suggestion I share with all of the community.

2. Frequency of updates
The GOG community is not just few people and therefore here's a suggestion that could improve the diversity of number of people that are gifted games per month. With the present rules active as I don't see any reason why they should be changed (except maybe lowering non-daggered Non-GOG games from 3 to 2) I'm suggesting that the updates become as frequent as possible with minimum of twice a month. Some people visit these threads more and some less often. With one update per month (which has been the case lately if I'm not mistaken) there is the occurrence where pretty much the same people get gifted each month since they are the ones who lurk around most frequently. If there was an update in the beginning of the month and another update later that would give better chance to those who are not sitting in these threads 24-7 hitting F5 in hope for some juicy game to appear. Of course the availability of games depends on the donations, but with good organization two balanced updates per month shouldn't be a problem. Also, there shouldn't be known dates when these happen, the element of surprise is part of the fun after all.

Personally, I won't profit much if any of these suggestions get approved. I visit these threads about once a day, just like I visit GOG forums in general. That combined with pretty small wishlist that I strictly keep I get about 2-3 games from Community Giveaways a year and I'm perfectly happy with that since I don't need MOAR games, just the ones that I plan to commit my time to. No offense to those who take more joy in collecting games rather than playing them, we all live the lives we chose and that's totally fine.

Thanks for reading and good luck with the organization!
I greatly appreciate the detailed feedback. Thanks!

With the first point, you're indeed right, real life has become more busy for me than it used to be when the giveaway began. I'll talk it over with Finkleroy and see how it looks with him in regards to taking it over. The transition won't likely happen soon, but I can see turning it over to him in the future.

With the second point, you make a good point. I'll try to strive for a 2-update-a-month pattern if possible, more than likely easily doable just by divvying up the games, holding back some for the second update.