It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE:
http://www.moo3.at/game/races/ithkul.php
I was wondering if "Can I have..." or "May I have..." would be correct in case somebody is asking for a game? I always thought that "Can I have" would mean as much as "Will I be able to have..." while "May I have" would be more like "Am I allowed to have ...". Not sure about this but maybe some of you native English speakers could tell me.
Post edited January 11, 2018 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: I was wondering if "Can I have..." or "May I have..." would be correct in case somebody is asking for a game? I always thought that "Can I have" would mean as much as "Will I be able to have..." while "May I have" would be more like "Am I allowed to have ...". Not sure about this but maybe some of you native English speakers could tell me.
There's not too big difference btw the 2 terms, if i'm correct May is a more polite form of Can that's all. Thus, using any of the term is alright as both are asking for permissions.

Edit: supplementscene is more accurate, May is asking for permission while Can is asking if it's possible but usually in normal usage Can is taken as asking for permission as well. (eg, Can i borrow this chair) so both are acceptable to me @ least. However, if really need to be precise it is of cos better to use May, given that it is more polite as well. :)
Post edited January 11, 2018 by tomyam80
MarkoH01: I was wondering if "Can I have..." or "May I have..." would be correct in case somebody is asking for a game? I always thought that "Can I have" would mean as much as "Will I be able to have..." while "May I have" would be more like "Am I allowed to have ...". Not sure about this but maybe some of you native English speakers could tell me.
Can - is it possible
May I have - can I have permission

So may is correct in this context

So 'Can you give me this game?' 'Yes I can in theory but I won't because I shall not grant you permission'.
Post edited January 11, 2018 by supplementscene
Technically "can I" is a question of ability while "may I" is one of permission, so yes, you are correct. But "can" seems to often be used for both in regular usage.

Er, ninja'd. Anyway...
Post edited January 11, 2018 by Cavalary
Thank you @tomyam80, @supplementscene, @Cavalary for explaining it. So my English teacher was right all along. I was wondering a bit since I usually read "can" in the forum rather than "may" and sometimes there's a difference in the things you learn in school and the way real English people are actually using it nowadays.
tinyE: I just talked to him. He said that as soon as that slimy spider looking thing fell off his face, and died, he immediately started feeling better, but that right now he's really hungry and wants to get some food before he gets back to work.
That is a funny one. :-)
Better not use his best suit while he's at it...
MarkoH01: Thank you @tomyam80, @supplementscene, @Cavalary for explaining it. So my English teacher was right all along. I was wondering a bit since I usually read "can" in the forum rather than "may" and sometimes there's a difference in the things you learn in school and the way real English people are actually using it nowadays.
Elementary school teachers also love to use this "can I/may I" thing as an excuse to mess with poor dumb kids.

"Miss, can I...?" "I don't know, can you?"

My wife said one of her teachers nearly made a kid piss his pants because he kept asking "Can I go to the bathroom?" and she pulled that crap instead of just letting him leave.
andysheets1975: Elementary school teachers also love to use this "can I/may I" thing as an excuse to mess with poor dumb kids.
Can't call them poor and dumb anymore. That offends people.

And before you click on the downvote button, I grew up on Social Security. Lots of fun.

But anyway to the "May I..." folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qXC3mMqDwU
Any chance that Noctropolis is still available?
I've never played the original, but looks like something unique from golden age of adventure games. And the new release has also HQ soundtrack + native Linux installer!
andysheets1975: Elementary school teachers also love to use this "can I/may I" thing as an excuse to mess with poor dumb kids.
drmike: Can't call them poor and dumb anymore. That offends people.
Of course we CAN - might be a different question if we may or should ;)
Sidenote at this matter: screw PC - always!
drmike: Can't call them poor and dumb anymore. That offends people.
MarkoH01: Of course we CAN - might be a different question if we may or should ;)
As a PC gamer I find that offensive!
MarkoH01: Of course we CAN - might be a different question if we may or should ;)
Breja: As a PC gamer I find that offensive!
I was thinking for just one second if this could happen by using this abbreviation - and it did ... Murphy.
Breja: As a PC gamer I find that offensive!
MarkoH01: I was thinking for just one second if this could happen by using this abbreviation - and it did ... Murphy.
Tex at his best.
MarkoH01: I was thinking for just one second if this could happen by using this abbreviation - and it did ... Murphy.
AWG43: Tex at his best.
Never understood why they never dropped the character into Links.

Outside of a single Easter egg: http://texmurphy.wikia.com/wiki/Links_986