It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

viperfdl: And because I was seen buying the bottles now everybody will likely think that the vodka is for me and that I'm a drunkard...
tinyE: I'm sorry but this I don't get, and keep in mind I don't even drink. How is being seen buying alcohol going to make people think you are a drunkard? Are you telling me you are the only one in that town who has ever been seen buying alcohol? :P
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong but in my experience, people are likely to circulate rumours.
tinyE: I'm sorry but this I don't get, and keep in mind I don't even drink. How is being seen buying alcohol going to make people think you are a drunkard? Are you telling me you are the only one in that town who has ever been seen buying alcohol? :P
viperfdl: Yeah, maybe I'm wrong but in my experience, people are likely to circulate rumours.
Well I live in a town of 80 and while everyone knows everything you do, they don't really care.
tinyE: Well I live in a town of 80 and while everyone knows everything you do, they don't really care.
It's not really a town when there's only 80 people. We have villages that are bigger. :P

And yes, depending on where you live rumour-mongering can be a problem.
tinyE: Well I live in a town of 80 and while everyone knows everything you do, they don't really care.
Yezemin: It's not really a town when there's only 80 people. We have villages that are bigger. :P

That town has more people than the Pitcairn Islands. Yes, there is an entire country with only 48 people (as of June 2015).

The country is small enough that, when same-sex marriage passed there, there weren't any actual same sex marriages there (at lest right away). In fact, 48 is small enough that the chance that at least two people of the same sex are both gay isn't that high.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/22/hooray-the-smallest-country-in-the-world-now-has-same-sex-marriage/

(For comparison, the Vatican City has a population of 451.)

P. S. One other complaint: Sometimes when I highlight a URL in order to paste it into a post on this forum, it doesn't take for whatever reason and middle-clicking copies whatever was highlighted previously. As you can tell, this can get quite annoying.
Yezemin: It's not really a town when there's only 80 people. We have villages that are bigger. :P

dtgreene: That town has more people than the Pitcairn Islands. Yes, there is an entire country with only 48 people (as of June 2015).

The country is small enough that, when same-sex marriage passed there, there weren't any actual same sex marriages there (at lest right away). In fact, 48 is small enough that the chance that at least two people of the same sex are both gay isn't that high.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/06/22/hooray-the-smallest-country-in-the-world-now-has-same-sex-marriage/

(For comparison, the Vatican City has a population of 451.)

P. S. One other complaint: Sometimes when I highlight a URL in order to paste it into a post on this forum, it doesn't take for whatever reason and middle-clicking copies whatever was highlighted previously. As you can tell, this can get quite annoying.
That's also because Pitcairn island was more or less founded and populated by one guy. I think they discovered that 90% of the population has a blood link to Fletcher Christian. :P
viperfdl: And because I was seen buying the bottles now everybody will likely think that the vodka is for me and that I'm a drunkard...
Well that's what I thought when I used to buy lots and lots of donuts (I am calling it donuts because they looks like that but spicy, salty and cheesy) turned out no one gives a damn. However when one day I asked for less donuts than my usual quantity then the restaurant owner asked me if everything was alright. :P
I started sending job applications almost two months ago. Given the title of this thread, you can probably guess how that's gone. On the plus side, I'm still waiting for a response from two places, but the longer it goes, the less optimistic I become.

Besides, I should be writing my MA thesis at the same time, but it has gone nowhere since I've been directing all my attention on the stupid applications. If I draw a blank from both of those aforementioned places, all these eight weeks will have been for nothing.
AlKim: I started sending job applications almost two months ago. Given the title of this thread, you can probably guess how that's gone. On the plus side, I'm still waiting for a response from two places, but the longer it goes, the less optimistic I become.

Besides, I should be writing my MA thesis at the same time, but it has gone nowhere since I've been directing all my attention on the stupid applications. If I draw a blank from both of those aforementioned places, all these eight weeks will have been for nothing.
I can understand your feelings.
ATM I am also waiting for response but most probably they hired someone more experienced than me.

I am currently in a catch-22 situation.

To apply for a job, I need experience. To gain experience, I need to get a job first.
I could go on and on about this machine I'm installing but I'll spare you the boring technical garbage. Let's just say there is no way in heaven, hell, nirvana, utopia, or anywhere else, that they tested this thing before shipping. Impossible. Okay, not impossible. They could have tested it, and only AFTERward rewired it incorrectly in three dozen - actually more - different ways. And then shipped it. Which makes no sense whatsoever so I'm sticking with impossible.

Anyway, the real reason I'm here: tried to ship a bottle of fine tequila to my brother for his birthday. Nobody will ship it since I'm not licensed to do so. Crap. So either I get it boxed up at one place and ship it from another - "Uh, it's just some tools." - or he waits until I get home who-knows-when. And if I have to wait I'm not sure there will be any left. You know, because of the stuff in the first paragraph.
Our apartment house has more people than that in it.
dtgreene: That town has more people than the Pitcairn Islands. Yes, there is an entire country with only 48 people (as of June 2015).

They should pass a law that also heteros can form a same-sex marriage. Problem solved.
Post edited April 12, 2016 by timppu
AlKim: I started sending job applications almost two months ago. Given the title of this thread, you can probably guess how that's gone. On the plus side, I'm still waiting for a response from two places, but the longer it goes, the less optimistic I become.
Are you applying for any job, or something related to what you study, whatever that is?

I know that if and when I lose my current job (which is always a possibility), I'd probably be considered too old for many places, ie. they'd much rather hire someone younger (but still with some experience). And I am quite certain if I could get a job, it would pay much less than my current one. Oh well, at least I've been able to gather some property during my life, so maybe I could manage better than many others, especially younger people who can't find even their first job.

I guess the only professions here in Finland which are somewhat secure are:

- a medical doctor (being at the same time the most secure, and the best paying, job one can have)
- a nurse
- in case you have an existing job position at KELA (= the national social security benefit office), the tax office or something like that (you can probably work there for the rest of your life, if you want to; there'll be enough unemployed and taxation to be served in the future too)

Well, code wizards who know their C++, Java, python etc. can probably still find jobs too, as long as they are not too old. A 25 year old manager in a startup company probably doesn't want to hire a code wizard who could be his dad.

It is not very encouraging that e.g. my big brother with a MBA degree and years of work experience couldn't find a new job but became basically a taxi driver... yeah, that's the economy. You get what you can.
HereForTheBeer: I could go on and on about this machine I'm installing but I'll spare you the boring technical garbage. Let's just say there is no way in heaven, hell, nirvana, utopia, or anywhere else, that they tested this thing before shipping. Impossible. Okay, not impossible. They could have tested it, and only AFTERward rewired it incorrectly in three dozen - actually more - different ways. And then shipped it. Which makes no sense whatsoever so I'm sticking with impossible.

Anyway, the real reason I'm here: tried to ship a bottle of fine tequila to my brother for his birthday. Nobody will ship it since I'm not licensed to do so. Crap. So either I get it boxed up at one place and ship it from another - "Uh, it's just some tools." - or he waits until I get home who-knows-when. And if I have to wait I'm not sure there will be any left. You know, because of the stuff in the first paragraph.
That liquor shipping problem is just another aspect of the miracle of government. Lots of bylaws, codes and weird archaic shit that goes back to the prohibition era laws and interstate commerce and blah blah blah blah. Hell, in my state we're just now debating whether we want to allow convenience stores and grocery stores to be able to sell high ABV content alcohol! What is this, the 1920s?! Jesus, we're arguing over the legalization of pot with the same archaic models. Screw prohibition. Screw invasive and excessive government bureaucracy. And screw whichever idiot Roman or Greek or whoever it was that came up with the idea of applying determinism to the natural force of free will. Son of a bitch.

Jesus Harold Christmas tree on a merry-go-round. Now I REALLY need to go take that walk. I'm gonna go be like Bennett and let off some steam.
timppu: - a medical doctor (being at the same time the most secure, and the best paying, job one can have)
But also one of the most emotionally stressful, especially if you work with patients of often fatal diseases (like cancer) or if you are a therapist who regularly interacts with depressed people. Therapists need therapy too!

(One person I know actually retired early because of all this stress.)
I am somewhat annoyed that Valve is unable to weed out the damn hackers/cheaters from Team Fortress 2.

Just yesterday I faced one enemy soldier which was clearly using an aimbot. First I thought damn he is good, but it was revealed when he once made a perfect rocket shot at me when I was behind him and he was running to a health pack. So he like a made a 1/100 second 180 degree turn, made a perfect rocket hit at me, and another 180 turn... yeah right. He basically had a 100% hit success rate with his rockets.

I considered reporting him to Valve as cheater... but the problem was that for some reason there were two guys playing with the very same name, one in each team. I have no idea if they were both cheating, but I couldn't tell from the "report a cheater" list whether the one I was about to pick was that cheater, or the guy in my own team.

When I said to both teams the guys is cheating, someone from that same team started making quite inane remarks like "yeah it doesn't matter because both teams are using aimbots" (WTF does that mean?) and "what is solidier? what is solidier?" (woo, complaining about a typo when one is writing fast?). I dunno, maybe it was another cheater, his friend?

Anyway, after awhile apparently others started to complain too even from that same team. I think that "friend" got voted out of the game, and after awhile that confirmed cheater logged out, possibly to escape before he was reported as a cheater. Dunno.

It just once again left a sour mouth to my taste playing the game, and made me glad I haven't paid a dime for the game. This is the kind of shit why I kinda like DRM in public multiplayer games, to be frank. Still, it seems Valve will never be able to weed out cheaters completely, they are playing just catch-up at best, just like virus scanners are with viruses, or Adobe Flashplayer trying to fix its vulnerabitilites (and constantly making new ones). Googling for it, apparently it is that "LMAOBOX" which the TF2 cheaters use.

Related to that, it seems clear to me many others are also using some kind of tools/utilities/scripts, like I see some soldiers making perfect rocket jumps or even multiple wall-rocket jumps in a quick succession (in order to move far faster in the level) which I have hard time believing they do manually. Are those also considered as cheats, and will Steam ban the users if they catch such scripts? Or are they some kind of legit scripts assigned to some key?
dtgreene: But also one of the most emotionally stressful
The doctors I know don't seem too stressed, possibly because they have their own private clinics where they treat easy and nice cases (hard cases and operations will be performed in public hospitals). Also, I would think it is more the nurses who have to take the burden of that stress of treating terminal patients, wiping their asses etc... the doctors are asked to visit the patient if something important happened, like the patient died.

But I am sure being a doctor (and especially a nurse) requires some kind of mental toughness, and maybe the job itself turns you into one (similarly like someone working in a slaughter house probably has grown some thick skin and doesn't constantly think about how he is killing animals and cutting their corpses to pieces day in day out). If you are too empathic (ie. "feel" your patients illness etc.), it can be much more stressful.

Doctor position is maybe easier for semi-psychos who can treat their patients more efficiently and with less feelings, gets the job done. If someone needs to hold the patient's hand, I guess that's what the lowest paying nurses and the patients' relatives are there for.

I'm sure even nurses grow some thick skin. I know one woman who was close to getting a miscarriage so she went to the public hospital. Naturally she was weeping all the time as she was worried for her unborn daughter. One nurse there allegedly said to her irritated: "Crying isn't going to help.", as if the nurse was irritated for her weeping and wanted her to stop. Maybe it was her (the nurse) protection mechanism against stress, or maybe that's how she just is, unempathic and easily annoyed by other people's sorrow. (The daughter turned out fine, BTW.)

As for therapists... yeah I've also heard the (urban?) legend of many of them having mental issues of their own. Whether that comes from their work, or whether they became therapists themselves due to their own mental issues (ie.. their own or close relatives' issues made them interested in the therapist career to begin with), is unclear though. I closely know one therapist (a relative of mine).