It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

wonder when the next gog sale will be *bitch bitch bitch*
Niggles: wonder when the next gog sale will be *bitch bitch bitch*
Or when they will sell 'life in general' - I think I will pass up that sale.
I kissed my brother's girlfrend I must be the worst person ever.
Had a session in a pub yesterday. Very little space and most of the crowd didn't listen but thanks to great musicians it was pretty good - then the mandolin of my favourite multiinstrumentalist buddy was stolen.
Seriously, how evil do you have to be in order to steal instruments after several hours of free high quality enterntainment?
I regularly hear about stolen instruments including hurdy-gurdys and custom bagpipes which can't be easy to sell without anyone noticing that they're stolen.
That's one thing where I'd actually think the death penalty would be appropriate.
Post edited March 12, 2016 by Klumpen0815
Question: which one of you fuckers stole my network cable tester? And could you please give it back? I'd like to see if my newly-installed cable works.
Attachments:
cable.jpg (81 Kb)
Ack! The ancient Dell laptop (running Linux Mint 17.2) I got for free a couple of years ago and that I've been using solely for keeping my GOG game collection up to date with gogrepo.py on an external 2TB USB hard drive finally quit its job.

While it was verifying my GOG colleciton, I noticed its screen was blacked out and it wouldn't come up, but the system was still running. I also noticed it seemed to be running quite hot, so I turned it off from the power button, let it cool down a bit, and then restarted it.

The laptop itsellf starts, but it complains it can't read from the hard drive, so maybe it is the hard drive only which got fried somehow? Fortunately I didn't have anything important on the hard drive, as said it was just a tool to run gogrepo.py for a GOG collection on an external HDD.

Not sure if I have a suitable 2.5" replacement hard drive, I don't even know whether it uses PATA or SATA HDDs (were there PATA 2.5" hard drive at all, for that matter)? And what is the max size that old laptop supports, etc. etc. And if I replace the hard drive, would it break down too?

As far as I could tell, the fan in the laptop is still working, so not sure why it decided to fry right now, unless it was indeed just some fault in the hard drive itself. I noticed in the Dell BIOS that there is an option to set USB storage as a bootable device... so is it a feasible alternative that I remove the broken HDD from inside, and instead install Linux Mint on an external USB hard drive, and keep booting and operating that laptop from there???

Is it possible to install an OS to an external USB device like that, and keep using it as if it was an internal HDD? I know it will run slower due to USB, but that's fine by me, if it otherwise works fine. EDIT: Googling for it, apparently it is. I'll need to check if I have a suitable external USB HDD already, and I could install Linux Mint on it... Then I remove the faulty internal HDD.

In the meantime, I set up my "repo.sh" script (which uses gogrepo.py commands) to run on my old desktop now, which is also running Linux Mint 17.2, but I'd rather not run that power hungry desktop PC just for running gogrepo for over a night, nor my gaming laptop running Windows 7 which is quite power hungry too. If I can't get the Dell laptop to work passably, I'm thinking of buying maybe some old cheap business laptop from some company, just for this same purpose. Or then some other laptop as cheaply as possible, like 200€ max, even less if possible.

I wish fanless low-power Android tablets could be used for this purpose, but I don't think they read 2 TB external USB hard drives with NTFS? Failing that, a cheapo low-power laptop running Linux Mint is the second best option. Are there some very low power laptops, possibly one's that don't need fans (ie. run cool enough without one, and don't use much of electricity)? That can run e.g. Linux, or comes with some sort of Windows (Starter)? Don't recommend any MS tablets, I think they are overpriced for this purpose, and I'd like to have the option to install Linux instead, if it comes to that.
Post edited March 14, 2016 by timppu
Now I had a crrrazy idea: I will install Linux Mint on a 32, 64 or even 128GB USB flash memory stick, and run it from there! Because I'm so crrrrazy! I didn't realize how cheap those bigger USB memories have come, 128GB costs little over 40€ here.

If it fails, I'm sure I'll find some other use for that USB memory. My existing USB memory stick are old 4 or 8 GB sticks.

(Yeah I guess flash memories are not the best choice for purposes where there will be constant rewrites, but meh...)
low rated
timppu: I wish fanless low-power Android tablets could be used for this purpose, but I don't think they read 2 TB external USB hard drives with NTFS? Failing that, a cheapo low-power laptop running Linux Mint is the second best option. Are there some very low power laptops, possibly one's that don't need fans (ie. run cool enough without one, and don't use much of electricity)? That can run e.g. Linux, or comes with some sort of Windows (Starter)? Don't recommend any MS tablets, I think they are overpriced for this purpose, and I'd like to have the option to install Linux instead, if it comes to that.
My suggestion is to get a single board computer such as the Raspberry Pi. Cheap, uses little electricity, runs Linux, and the newest model, the Raspberry Pi 3, even comes with built-in wi-fi.

All you need is $35 for the board itself, a good USB power adapter, and a monitor/keyboard. Learn to use SSH, and you can eliminate the need for the monitor/keyboard.

Edit: One other thing: You will need an SD card as well to store the OS.
Post edited March 14, 2016 by dtgreene
Oh no, buyer's remorse! On my lunch hour, I quickly went to an electronics store, in order to buy that USB memory stick I was talking about before.

First I thought 32GB would be fine (to install Linux Mint on it) for like 12€... but hey, the 64GB model is only like 22€... but hey, the 128GB model is only like 48€! So of course I bought the 128GB one, just to be sure that I feel it is big enough.

Ok, but then I figured I want to check some Bluetooth speakers too, I bet my wife would like one because she seems to listen to music with her phone all the time and its speakers are very bad... BT speakers don't cost that much don't they, like 50€ or even less?

Ok checking some options I decided to raise my budget to max 100€ euro or so, and there was e.g. certain JBL Bluetooth speaker which seemed and sounded quite ok... but then I made a mistake to listen to Bose SoundLink Mini II speaker... I just couldn't wrap my mind around how can such a tiny BT speaker sound so great?!?

Oh no, the price is 200€! So I hurried back to the 99€ JBL speaker, it sounds ok (I tried two JBL models, one costing 99€ and another 119€, the 119€ one was a bit better sounding but also bigger)... but I just couldn't forget how much better the 200€ Bose still sounded than either of the JBLs, even though it was even slightly smaller in size. So I keep running between those two, listening them one after another. After i had done that like dozen times, I said phuck it and took the Bose and went to the cashier with it, alone with the 128GB USB stick.

You know the feeling you have serious doubts of buying a lesser product (99€ JBL speaker), even though you know it would be the sane choice? I know I would have been perfectly happy with the 99€ JBL... as long as I hadn't listened to the Bose.

So, my original plan of going to get a 12€ USB memory stick ended up me spending around 250€ on electronics and stuff. Now I am a bit angry at myself, yet I can't get myself to go back to the store to give the Bose back. And just last week I promised myself I should start saving up money seriously, considering I just learned my secondary apartment (that I am renting away) will get a big renovation (plumbing etc.) in two years or so that will cost maybe up to 30000€... so better start saving up already now!

I should learn to stay away from electronics stores, it is hard to leave without buying something that "I need".
It´only a little rant, but I didn´t want to create a new topic for it.
Why did those motherfuckers at Bethesda decide to sell their crappy Fallout 4 season pass for 50 bucks ? It was 30 which is normal for a season pass, but seriously 50 ? Are those fuckers high ?
I've been food poisoned! Poisoned I say! Arsenic! Radiation!
bad_fur_day1: I've been food poisoned! Poisoned I say! Arsenic! Radiation!
It takes desperate measures to get rid of bad fur. I wish you a good fur day!
Hard time finding a new job. Honestly thought wouldnt take this long.
NuffCatnip: It´only a little rant, but I didn´t want to create a new topic for it.
Why did those motherfuckers at Bethesda decide to sell their crappy Fallout 4 season pass for 50 bucks ? It was 30 which is normal for a season pass, but seriously 50 ? Are those fuckers high ?
Supposedly it means we will get more DLC in the Season Pass and the 50 will be justified. We will have to wait and see but if you had purchased it 16. days ago you would have gotten it for 30.
Two days before the workshop with a French world class musician on my instrument (wheel fiddle) the only string I don't have a reserve for is wasted. Of course it's also the most expensive one and very hard to get at short notice.
Oh the desperation.... :(