It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Nordrian: ...
The good news is that you soon magically forget most of the difficulties and want to have another one.

You're right about experience. Part of what makes the first so tiring is uncertainty- fretting over imagined problems. The second is much, much easier in that regard.

It helps if you have a job that allows you to take little naps during the day, like piloting a ferryboat or operating heavy machinery.

Best of luck!
Nordrian: ...
grimwerk: The good news is that you soon magically forget most of the difficulties and want to have another one.

You're right about experience. Part of what makes the first so tiring is uncertainty- fretting over imagined problems. The second is much, much easier in that regard.

It helps if you have a job that allows you to take little naps during the day, like piloting a ferryboat or operating heavy machinery.

Best of luck!
Thanks :) My work doesn't allow too much for it, since I also use the little free time I have to study since I am starting a bachelor degree (online classes), but I think I get used to it most of the time :p
Went to my parents house (where I still have all my stuff, except my musical instruments, waiting to be moved eventually) only to find that due to some plumbing problem, moisture gathered to the wall where I had my PC games collection.

The result: most of the plastic cases had mold on them so I replaced them. The sad thing is that some of the cardboard boxes (witcher 1 & 2 along with their big printed manuals and guides, sins of a solar empire, bloodlines, grand prix legends, crusader kings, warcraft III battle chest, divinity anthology) had mold too and I couldn't clean them too well so I threw them away too and kept only the discs and manuals.

Although they are lifeless stuff, somehow it made me sad that I had to throw many of them away... Anyway, shit happens but a new day begins so smile. :)
Attachments:
DubConqueror: Hmmm, I often find myself frequently asking questions to reindeer, don't you?
viperfdl: Ahh, I'm not sure I really understand you. Do you mean "talking to a reindeer" or is this a pun I don't get? :/
Yes, talking to a reindeer. Just a silly (and off-topic) joke.

More off-topic, the remark got me wondering how strange it is, the name sounds almost the same in Dutch but the meaning of the word is something completely different.

Reindeer (English) = deer that's led by the rein (in front of a sled)

Rendier (Dutch) = running (ren-) animal (dier)
tort1234: I am sick of idiots happily breeding babies and then complaining about taking care and feeding babies.

Did you think that raising kids was as simple as a walk in the park ?

You made a choice now deal with the result of it.
dtgreene: Sometimes it's not a choice. Someone could accidentally become pregnant and not be able to get an abortion (many people, for whatever reason, seem to be against this medical procedure).
Nevermind. You are right. People can't just stop having sex so sometimes it's not a choice.
Post edited December 12, 2015 by monkeydelarge
dtgreene: Sometimes it's not a choice. Someone could accidentally become pregnant and not be able to get an abortion (many people, for whatever reason, seem to be against this medical procedure).
monkeydelarge: Nevermind. You are right. People can't just stop having sex so sometimes it's not a choice.
Don't forget the possibility of getting pregnant from rape.
monkeydelarge: Nevermind. You are right. People can't just stop having sex so sometimes it's not a choice.
dtgreene: Don't forget the possibility of getting pregnant from rape.
Or god. We can't forget Mary.
dtgreene: Don't forget the possibility of getting pregnant from rape.
tinyE: Or god. We can't forget Mary.
Say, since you seem to know a lot about god, might you know if the Vatican owns in its treasury, the holy d*ck' s tissue that had been removed, during the divine circumcision? I am itching to have this mystery revealed and solved, at last; as of now, it is mere rumor and speculation!
Post edited December 12, 2015 by KiNgBrAdLeY7
Despite a climate treaty that heralds the end of the fossil era I am very restless and anxious. Can't just let 44 years of anxiety and fear (my age and the age of the report of the Club of Rome) slide of me, it's engrained too deep in my soul.
DubConqueror: Despite a climate treaty that heralds the end of the fossil era I am very restless and anxious. Can't just let 44 years of anxiety and fear (my age and the age of the report of the Club of Rome) slide of me, it's engrained too deep in my soul.
Yeah, it's funny. A group of proto-globalists got together in Europe and tried to force in a bunch of ridiculous regulations and tariffs on the European steel industry and nearly 60 years later that entity is now telling people to recycle and that they can't smoke in pubs.

Those currently in power in the world shouldn't have to even be voted out of office... all we should have to done is laugh them out. Human obtuseness never ceases to amaze me.
Drove 22 hours home the last couple days, from south Texas to Up Nort'. In a rented cargo truck. A bit tired but the drive wasn't bad, especially considering that the holidays can really bring out the worst in drivers. Must be that the travel rush hasn't started yet.

In bed a little after 10 last night and my brain turned on at 4am. Sleep didn't return so I got up at 5. Kinda tired of that crap. Finally get home to a comfortable bed and <click!> the brain screws up the whole enjoyment of it.

The wife and I went down there for a machine salvage job. Someone has a machine they're getting rid of, they call me, I offer them a bit of money to take any and all parts I want, and they scrap the leftovers. They end up with a lot more money than if they scrapped the whole thing, since I don't remove much overall weight from it - it's mostly smaller parts and not enormous structural pieces.

Spent the week staying at the in-laws house on a bed that should have been replaced before it was purchased. Not much sleep there, either, but I figure the tossing and turning all night long made for a good aerobic workout.

Anyway, the machine owner contacted me a month or so back to see if I wanted it. Sure. They sent a bunch of photos - it was already disassembled into its major assemblies, sitting inside a relatively open and well-lit building. I gave them a bit more money than normal because the machine being disassembled was going to save me some time and hassle. They asked for a deposit so I sent them a check. I also issued a Purchase Order, had them sign and return it, and arranged to come down there last week.

We show up and the machine is now sitting outside. A week or so prior they moved it to make room for who-cares-what, and then part of it was covered by tarps and other parts were left uncovered. And then it rained hard for a couple days. I started pointing out the rust and the main guy, Jim, said it was only out there for a short while and the water wasn't a big deal. No? Well, I can't sell this part and I can't sell that part, and that one will take a lot more time and effort to refurbish... In my head, I'm watching dollar signs and labor time just fly away.

The wife and I spend a couple days getting the parts I wanted - minus the now-screwed-up stuff. While organizing the rest we found that one hollow air-flotation table had water pouring out of it when we flipped it over. Great. Removed the top and it's a sloppy mess inside. Rusty, with water-soaked sawdust. Completely useless without spending more time and money than I'll be able to get out of it. 3 other tables were similar, but not quite as bad. Similar story with several other items.

Wednesday morning, I meet with another guy to pay the remaining balance I owed. Told him that, based on the damage, I needed a discount from the original amount. He calls Jim, and Jim and I 'discuss' the matter. He starts off by telling me, "We have a handshake agreement. We don't do business that way. [talking about asking for a discount after the fact]." Jim, I have over a dozen photos from you, showing the machine cozy and dry inside. I have a signed Purchase Order where you agreed to "as-is, where-is", and where is states payment will be made after the machine is evaluated to ensure that it matches the description. When you decided on your own to deviate from the agreed-upon where-is, it caused a change in the condition of the as-is. Your action removed value from the product that I originally agreed to purchase. You did this after I paid the deposit, and you did it without notifying me beforehand. He started to go on about how I didn't say I was going to take those parts, and that's why they were not covered. "Jim, the Purchase Order lists the goods as 'the machine'. That means every part whether or not you think I want it. The PO and our emails laid all this out, and I certainly did not tell you I would not be taking those particular items." After further disparagement of me and "the way I do business", we hung up and I talked with the other guy (who was listening in but otherwise keeping out of it) along with my wife. My wife said, "Well that certainly was uncomfortable." Haha. No kidding. "Yeah, honey, I don't appreciate it when someone tries to tell me that I'm the bad guy for asking for a discount, when the conversation would not be occurring if he hadn't caused the problem in the first place. Especially when I have documentation of the original condition and a signed agreement. Unbelievable." "It sure is."

Wrote them a smaller check and went on my pissed-off way. What a jackass. We have a signed agreement along with photographs to back it up, I sent the deposit you insisted on even though you say you work by 'handshake', before I even show up you fucked-up the stuff I bought, and now you tell me - the customer - that I'm the shithead?

On the upside, this was a lesson to be learned and I'm now going to be a lot more formal with the used-machine purchase process. There are more people like him out there: with good intentions, to be sure, but who will not own up to their mistakes and make things right for the customer. Wouldn't have bothered me if he had simply agreed that a mistake was made, that it lessened the value of the product he agreed to sell, and that there is a monetary amount attached to that. Maybe the dumbest thing is that he was giving me a ration of shit for a whopping $300. Guessing they spent more in labor costs to move the thing outside.

tl:dr: accept the responsibilities for - and consequences of - your mistakes.
:Is depressed:

Give me another milk and cookies bartender.
HereForTheBeer: Drove 22 hours home the last couple days, from south Texas to Up Nort'. In a rented cargo truck. A bit tired but the drive wasn't bad, especially considering that the holidays can really bring out the worst in drivers. Must be that the travel rush hasn't started yet.

In bed a little after 10 last night and my brain turned on at 4am. Sleep didn't return so I got up at 5. Kinda tired of that crap. Finally get home to a comfortable bed and <click!> the brain screws up the whole enjoyment of it.

The wife and I went down there for a machine salvage job. Someone has a machine they're getting rid of, they call me, I offer them a bit of money to take any and all parts I want, and they scrap the leftovers. They end up with a lot more money than if they scrapped the whole thing, since I don't remove much overall weight from it - it's mostly smaller parts and not enormous structural pieces.

Spent the week staying at the in-laws house on a bed that should have been replaced before it was purchased. Not much sleep there, either, but I figure the tossing and turning all night long made for a good aerobic workout.

Anyway, the machine owner contacted me a month or so back to see if I wanted it. Sure. They sent a bunch of photos - it was already disassembled into its major assemblies, sitting inside a relatively open and well-lit building. I gave them a bit more money than normal because the machine being disassembled was going to save me some time and hassle. They asked for a deposit so I sent them a check. I also issued a Purchase Order, had them sign and return it, and arranged to come down there last week.

We show up and the machine is now sitting outside. A week or so prior they moved it to make room for who-cares-what, and then part of it was covered by tarps and other parts were left uncovered. And then it rained hard for a couple days. I started pointing out the rust and the main guy, Jim, said it was only out there for a short while and the water wasn't a big deal. No? Well, I can't sell this part and I can't sell that part, and that one will take a lot more time and effort to refurbish... In my head, I'm watching dollar signs and labor time just fly away.

The wife and I spend a couple days getting the parts I wanted - minus the now-screwed-up stuff. While organizing the rest we found that one hollow air-flotation table had water pouring out of it when we flipped it over. Great. Removed the top and it's a sloppy mess inside. Rusty, with water-soaked sawdust. Completely useless without spending more time and money than I'll be able to get out of it. 3 other tables were similar, but not quite as bad. Similar story with several other items.

Wednesday morning, I meet with another guy to pay the remaining balance I owed. Told him that, based on the damage, I needed a discount from the original amount. He calls Jim, and Jim and I 'discuss' the matter. He starts off by telling me, "We have a handshake agreement. We don't do business that way. [talking about asking for a discount after the fact]." Jim, I have over a dozen photos from you, showing the machine cozy and dry inside. I have a signed Purchase Order where you agreed to "as-is, where-is", and where is states payment will be made after the machine is evaluated to ensure that it matches the description. When you decided on your own to deviate from the agreed-upon where-is, it caused a change in the condition of the as-is. Your action removed value from the product that I originally agreed to purchase. You did this after I paid the deposit, and you did it without notifying me beforehand. He started to go on about how I didn't say I was going to take those parts, and that's why they were not covered. "Jim, the Purchase Order lists the goods as 'the machine'. That means every part whether or not you think I want it. The PO and our emails laid all this out, and I certainly did not tell you I would not be taking those particular items." After further disparagement of me and "the way I do business", we hung up and I talked with the other guy (who was listening in but otherwise keeping out of it) along with my wife. My wife said, "Well that certainly was uncomfortable." Haha. No kidding. "Yeah, honey, I don't appreciate it when someone tries to tell me that I'm the bad guy for asking for a discount, when the conversation would not be occurring if he hadn't caused the problem in the first place. Especially when I have documentation of the original condition and a signed agreement. Unbelievable." "It sure is."

Wrote them a smaller check and went on my pissed-off way. What a jackass. We have a signed agreement along with photographs to back it up, I sent the deposit you insisted on even though you say you work by 'handshake', before I even show up you fucked-up the stuff I bought, and now you tell me - the customer - that I'm the shithead?

On the upside, this was a lesson to be learned and I'm now going to be a lot more formal with the used-machine purchase process. There are more people like him out there: with good intentions, to be sure, but who will not own up to their mistakes and make things right for the customer. Wouldn't have bothered me if he had simply agreed that a mistake was made, that it lessened the value of the product he agreed to sell, and that there is a monetary amount attached to that. Maybe the dumbest thing is that he was giving me a ration of shit for a whopping $300. Guessing they spent more in labor costs to move the thing outside.

tl:dr: accept the responsibilities for - and consequences of - your mistakes.
The finale to your accumulated stress is most likely going to have a hilarious ending. Please promise to be filming when it happens, and upload it so your pals at gog can have a laugh.
HereForTheBeer: <snipped myself - ouch!>
Emob78: The finale to your accumulated stress is most likely going to have a hilarious ending. Please promise to be filming when it happens, and upload it so your pals at gog can have a laugh.
Hoping it IS funny, though I sometimes suspect that ending will come in the form of a hail of bullets as they shoot me down from the water tower. ; ) Maybe I should binge-play Postal and Carmageddon to release tension.

But it's all good: the guilty pleasures, though seldom indulged lately, help balance things out. Things should settle down once we get past the end-of-year crap.

Speaking of which, who is the dumbass who scheduled three major US holidays close together within 5 or so weeks of the end of the year (Yes, I realize one of the holidays IS the end of the year)? I'd like to wring her neck.
bad_fur_day1: :Is depressed:

Give me another milk and cookies bartender.
Let me guess. You are having a bad fur day.