It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Death sucks more.
HereForTheBeer: Does it need to have Genuine fans? That seems like a lot of money for a simple piece like that.
I was first considering some non-genuine fans which were being sold fo 15€ or so online, but I also happened to read someone complain when he bought online a fan that was supposed to be meant for his laptop, the replacement fan didn't quite fit.

I don't know what to make of that, did he accidentally buy a wrong fan anyway, or is there a slight chance the 3rd party replacement doesn't fit perfectly?

25€-50€ is some money, but I think it is worth it to get rid of the occasionally annoying buzzing sound, and to make sure the laptop keeps being ventilated well.

HereForTheBeer: To track the different screws, an egg carton will do the trick nicely. If you've never had a laptop apart before, it's not that difficult. There will most likely be a couple snap-in pieces so be careful not to break the tabs on those. Other than that, not bad at all. Kinda cool digging around in there, to see how they shoved a desktop inside that small package.
I have opened up a couple of laptops before (at least the Lenovo ThinkPad T400), at least until I've been able to expose the motherboard in order to clean it from dust (removing the keyboard panel etc.). Yeah it wasn't that bad IIRC, but the first time for a new model always gets me a bit antsy, a bit afraid I lose some screw or zap the motherboard etc.

In that ASUS disassembly video, I was most worried about the part where she raises the detached keyboard panel, and there are like 5 or 6 flat cables from the panel attached to different parts of the motherboard. Like I accidentally break any of those flat connectors, or don't recall afterwards which cable was supposed to go to which connector, etc. Also, I was surprised how many screws there are to take out before even being able to take out the keyboard panel.

Oh well, just need to mark them clearly and be careful. I am probably fretting for nothing.

There's also certain eMachines (Acer) laptop of my friend I'd like to open up, as it has never been dusted inside. I found a disassembly video for it as well, but that seemed awkward in a different way. The way he slowly tries to get the keyboard panel out using a credit card or something etc. I loved it how one of the comments for that video was along the lines "I was thinking of opening up my Acer laptop for cleaning, but after seeing this video, never mind, LOL...".
Starmaker: Java reflection is terrible. Fuck it, I'm doing a workaround.
Alternatively, use a language that isn't as restricted as Java. It sounds like Python might be a better if you find yourself needing reflection. In Python, if you know the name of a class method, you can call it without having to know the name of the class.

This is actually called "duck typing", and the reason I posted some Python code in the "duck" thread.

In other news, I just this week learned of another transgender suicide; this time of a 16-year old trans boy.
http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2015/9/30/family-friends-mourn-madison-trans-teen-activist-skyler-marcus-lee
Post edited October 01, 2015 by dtgreene
Telika: Death sucks more.
Not for everyone.
How do you know? You were dead?
viperfdl: How do you know? You were dead?
No but I know people who are.
Death doesn't hurt I've been Clinically Dead Thirty three (33) Times heart and Brain stopped functioning, Didn't mean I gave up even with the Deep Lacerations to the back of my skull the problem is People are too soft these days they chip a friggin Nail they instantly die people who suicide go to hell!

Even after death you feel like a conscious being the Calm and Joyous feeling and the swirly blue mist stuff LOL! but people who suicide well Blackness for them!
Post edited October 01, 2015 by fr33kSh0w2012
Okay, what the fuck just happened in here!? :P
dtgreene: Alternatively, use a language that isn't as restricted as Java.
The software is in Java and I'm writing an extension.

dtgreene: It sounds like Python might be a better if you find yourself needing reflection. In Python, if you know the name of a class method, you can call it without having to know the name of the class. This is actually called "duck typing", and the reason I posted some Python code in the "duck" thread.
That's exactly what would've been best to use. I have a bunch of classes, all of which have a getName() method. Too bad they're in a long dependency hierarchy and the parent they share doesn't have a getName(). Reflection on the other hands requires exception handling. Do or do not, there is no try{}. I ended up writing a long-ass if-else.

dtgreene: In other news, I just this week learned of another transgender suicide; this time of a 16-year old trans boy.
http://www.advocate.com/transgender/2015/9/30/family-friends-mourn-madison-trans-teen-activist-skyler-marcus-lee
How terrible and tragic. Some consolation can be found in that he was supported by parents, friends and family, so maybe the situation is improving and things will get better for other kids (although his trans status could've made it more difficult to access treatment from depression).
tinyE: Okay, what the fuck just happened in here!? :P
You.
tinyE: Okay, what the fuck just happened in here!? :P
Niggles: You.
Oh Yeah!

DUH!
Starmaker: How terrible and tragic. Some consolation can be found in that he was supported by parents, friends and family, so maybe the situation is improving and things will get better for other kids (although his trans status could've made it more difficult to access treatment from depression).
I don't think so, Some parents can be absolute mongrels.

When My mother was in EPIC Mania (Which I helped her through) because of Doctors giving her the wrong Medications her "Schizophrenia" which was found out to be SCHIZO-AFFECTIVE DISORDER started when I was sixteen she fell and hit her head and then the VOICES IN HER HEAD CAME OUT HER MOUTH and I've got her back to the point of STABLE ON MY OWN!

Half My life I have been helping her because without me she would of committed suicide, and She has told me that Many times for HALF MY LIFETIME She hit her head when I was 16 years old I'm 32 Years old now.

I've Lost My mid to late Teens, Early twenties, Mid twenties, Late Twenties, Early Thirties. My life is a Lost cause It's like I'm Locked up under house arrest but able to go down the local shops to do errands that's what my Life consists of Carer and Errand boy - You would KILL yourself if your life was like that would you not, I could simply Burn the house down and end it all Finally PIECE I WOULD HAVE, Or would I?

At Least I finally Got new glasses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_XX_ne4yI
Post edited October 02, 2015 by fr33kSh0w2012
bad_fur_day1: Can't really argue with that.

It does have a few redeeming features though, like star trek and videogames.

I would like to take this time to quote Rocky Balboa;

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep going."

That is all.
That speech is sampled in this track. Something I put on to fire myself up at times :)

Sacred - One Love (Onderwish Remix)
Never mind.
Post edited October 02, 2015 by monkeydelarge
bad_fur_day1: I would like to take this time to quote Rocky Balboa;

"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep going."
Tarnicus: That speech is sampled in this track. Something I put on to fire myself up at times :)

Sacred - One Love (Onderwish Remix)
Nice one buddy. Recommended for everyone here having a tough time.

Thanks Rocky.