It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

gunsynd: Ask him outside,and go WHACK,WHACK....
F4LL0UT: I'd love to but I think I might lose my job over that.
It never stopped me,just found another job.
But I can understand people not wanting to lose their job over some smartarse,standover type..
Coelocanth: My brother committed suicide last Wednesday.
Oh man, hadn't seen this before. Now I feel shitty for complaining about work stuff. My condolences. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible you and your family must feel.
Sorry for your lose,it's extremely hard to lose someone from your family....
F4LL0UT: Oh man, hadn't seen this before. Now I feel shitty for complaining about work stuff.
Please don't feel bad. Everyone deals with their own reality. I very much appreciate everyone's sympathies and condolences, but I certainly don't think my situation at all diminishes anyone else's troubles.
pigdog: From the forums, you seem very sympathetic, encouraging and supportive to other posters with depression, so learn to use these qualities on yourself.
Thanks, that's a good advice to take to the heart (though the expression I use is a dutchism ;-) )
Coelocanth, my condolences. Sometimes life can be so hard, you can't stand it any longer. It must have been horrible on him and your family too. A lonely way to die. Hope you find console in each other as a family and the thought that your brother's suffering has been put to a rest.
EBToriginal: You know what sucks, trying to keep the motivation for a personal project once you realize the huge scale of such. And at the same time ideas flow forth like water.
I'm working on a large project at the moment myself and I find breaking it up into small pieces helps - sometimes those pieces have to be broken up even further. It's a software project and as a programmer it's very easy for me to add in features as I go - the whole "ooooooh, wouldn't it be cool if...." schtick. I sometimes (ok, always) have to force myself to back away and look at what I'm doing as nothing more than mere product that has to be completed within a certain time frame. And that's very difficult for me a lot of the time, because that isn't who I am. I completely understand where your coming from and I've felt like packing the whole thing in a number of times now. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that I've done so much work thus far and it'd just be a big friggin' waste of time; that, and a personal sense of shame to be honest.
high rated
qux: I'm working on a large project at the moment myself and I find breaking it up into small pieces helps - sometimes those pieces have to be broken up even further. It's a software project and as a programmer it's very easy for me to add in features as I go - the whole "ooooooh, wouldn't it be cool if...." schtick. I sometimes (ok, always) have to force myself to back away and look at what I'm doing as nothing more than mere product that has to be completed within a certain time frame. And that's very difficult for me a lot of the time, because that isn't who I am. I completely understand where your coming from and I've felt like packing the whole thing in a number of times now. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that I've done so much work thus far and it'd just be a big friggin' waste of time; that, and a personal sense of shame to be honest.
There is no sense of shame, just give the client what they want within the time frame that they have provided.

Keep other ideas in your notes, or block within the source code if you have coded it, and use the ideas to enhance the project later.

I used to do this, and when I was on a roll, I'd come up with all kinds of improvements. Since what the client wanted was already an agreed upon commodity, that is what was given. As a consultant, I could always suggest the rest later, and leave it up to them if they wanted to incorporate it. If not, I could open up a feature or two as a thank you, and keep the rest for incorporation into my next version.
EBToriginal: You know what sucks, trying to keep the motivation for a personal project once you realize the huge scale of such. And at the same time ideas flow forth like water.
qux: I'm working on a large project at the moment myself and I find breaking it up into small pieces helps - sometimes those pieces have to be broken up even further. It's a software project and as a programmer it's very easy for me to add in features as I go - the whole "ooooooh, wouldn't it be cool if...." schtick. I sometimes (ok, always) have to force myself to back away and look at what I'm doing as nothing more than mere product that has to be completed within a certain time frame. And that's very difficult for me a lot of the time, because that isn't who I am. I completely understand where your coming from and I've felt like packing the whole thing in a number of times now. The thing that keeps me going is the fact that I've done so much work thus far and it'd just be a big friggin' waste of time; that, and a personal sense of shame to be honest.
Yeah, by the nature of what I am doing my project breaks itself down in to self contained bits. And once I get going it isn't hard to do a decent enough bit of work. Just the knee interia of getting started is mighty high some days. And I still have a hard time envisioning a completely finished item too so sometimes it almost feels like a huge waste of effort.
EBToriginal: Yeah, by the nature of what I am doing my project breaks itself down in to self contained bits. And once I get going it isn't hard to do a decent enough bit of work. Just the knee interia of getting started is mighty high some days. And I still have a hard time envisioning a completely finished item too so sometimes it almost feels like a huge waste of effort.
Uh huh, sounds very familiar. What are you working on?
Framework and descriptive prose for a game book.
I am not a billionaire with 20 years old blond and fit triplet girlfriends.
Been trying for three days now to find the energy and courage to buy groceries and I still haven't managed. Vacation is supposed to be a period to do things I otherwise can't find the time and energy for - but I can't even find the energy and courage to go to town to buy the things I need.
off-topic, as it made me happy, but it's the follow-up of my post above: after lunch with a friend of mine I felt better and managed to muster the courage to get to the city to get my organic groceries. Yes!

plus I like Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Just started playing it this week and already put over a dozen hours in it.
DubConqueror: Been trying for three days now to find the energy and courage to buy groceries and I still haven't managed. Vacation is supposed to be a period to do things I otherwise can't find the time and energy for - but I can't even find the energy and courage to go to town to buy the things I need.
If it makes you feel any better, it's 50 miles to the grocery to the store here, and then of course another 50 back. :D