It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HereForTheBeer: Just got back from the UW vet. The KittyCATscan showed a couple questionable spots, one on each lung. <sigh> And that's in addition to the major tumor outside his chest cavity. Been through lung cancer with Dad earlier this year (it was really quick), my stepdad last year (drawn out over about a year), and a family friend, also earlier this year.

And now Oscar.

Well, shit.

Told them that we'll take the palliative route - we're not going to put him through crazy medical efforts when it might gain him but 3-6 more months, and probably not the best of months at that. For now we'll continue to spoil the hell out of him.
I'm so sorry to hear that. That's really tough.
You mentioned that he doesn't seem bothered by it. I hope that is still the case, and continues to be.

It sounds like he has a really great home with some outstanding slaves. You can't ask for much more than that.
I always took comfort in the fact that we were able to give our kitty a good home and lots of love while she was with us. I think she appreciated it.

I don't know what else to say...
I hope things aren't too painful for the both of you, and that you can have some happy times together.
AgentBirdnest: <snip>
Thanks for the kind words.

This isn't our first time dealing with this crap, so in some ways it's easier than with some of our other pets. And we only got him last January but he has firmly placed himself at the top of the food chain around here - such a great, mellow cat. He's currently sitting on the wife's lap, reminding her who's boss. ; )

The really tough one is going to be when my dog <--- (avatar Annie) goes. I'm going to be a basket case when that happens.

On the upside, Mom picked up a really sweet little girl cat a couple weeks back, so after Oscar passes we'll spoil that one until we get around to submitting ourselves to another feline master.
HereForTheBeer: Just got back from the UW vet. The KittyCATscan showed a couple questionable spots, one on each lung. <sigh> And that's in addition to the major tumor outside his chest cavity. Been through lung cancer with Dad earlier this year (it was really quick), my stepdad last year (drawn out over about a year), and a family friend, also earlier this year.

And now Oscar.

Well, shit.

Told them that we'll take the palliative route - we're not going to put him through crazy medical efforts when it might gain him but 3-6 more months, and probably not the best of months at that. For now we'll continue to spoil the hell out of him.
I am truly sorry to hear that. Make the most of each moment as best you can. I believe that the major source of grief over losing Lucy(besides her being a gift from my father and an anchor through troubled times) was that during those last couple of months, and especially days leading up to her being euthanised, was the disconnection that came from within. I didn't know how to handle watching her die slowly, so I disconnected for the most part. When she died, every harsh word and action repeated over and over in my head and I felt so bad for the times I didn't express love the way I felt. She gave me so much and I know she forgave me for how I was but I still don't think 12 years later that I have forgiven myself.

I have noticed a common factor with death and grief from my experiences of loss and from being with many others who have experienced loss through death. When one feels at ease with the relationship - I showed love as best I could and that person lived life as best they could, the grieving process is different. Yes there is a significant loss but there is still more of an acceptance. My challenges with accepting loss seem to stem from "I could have done better".

Many seem to enter a state of denial and try to prolong the life of a loved one at the expense of quality of life. I recently wrote a eulogy of sorts and am about to write further about the experience of losing my grandfather recently (see http://www.gog.com/forum/general/honouring_the_departed_giving_thanks/post1). Writing and sharing stories has been very helpful for my own healing.

<3 to you for the tough times ahead and well done for expressing your thoughts, feelings and experiences so openly on these forums.
ddickinson: Snip
monkeydelarge: snip
Crewdroog: snip
F4LL0UT: snip
Tarnicus: snip
Soccorro: snip
I know this is the Bitch thread... but I need to take a minute to thank everyone for letting me vent and being there for me when I really needed it. <3

and a special thank you to (below) for their support!

Soccorro, Tarnicus, F4LL0UT, Crewdroog, monkeydelarge, ddickinson, and any one else I missed. I tried to get everyone.
An asshole phoned my granny that my brother was driving drunk, had an accident and he needs 1 million HUF (around 2500$) immediately. My brother has just gotten his driving license, and is indeed drinking a lot with friends.
Granny phoned my mom, who was in a course. My mom left calss, rushed home with a taxi (that costed a lot of cash), only to find my brother in his room, wearing pyjamas, watching youtube videos.

Mom has just spent an hour on phone calming granny down, commanding her to take her heart medicine NOW.
My granny has heart problems, and is VERY sensitive.

Trolls and assholes like this sould be executed.
MadyNora: Trolls and assholes like this sould be executed.
"Executed" sounds too clean. I think they should be clubbed to death with morning stars by a mob of angry sexually frustrated gorillas.
F4LL0UT: "Executed" sounds too clean. I think they should be clubbed to death with morning stars by a mob of angry sexually frustrated gorillas.
LOL your post reminded me of this scene from the second Ace Ventura movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlsFGtdSPcI
F4LL0UT: "Executed" sounds too clean. I think they should be clubbed to death with morning stars by a mob of angry sexually frustrated gorillas.
monkeydelarge: LOL your post reminded me of this scene from the second Ace Ventura movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlsFGtdSPcI
Seems like an appropriate punishment :)
monkeydelarge: LOL your post reminded me of this scene from the second Ace Ventura movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlsFGtdSPcI
MadyNora: Seems like an appropriate punishment :)
Indeed. :)
This. well done, very creative. A+
MadyNora: An asshole phoned my granny that my brother was driving drunk, had an accident and he needs 1 million HUF (around 2500$) immediately. My brother has just gotten his driving license, and is indeed drinking a lot with friends.
Granny phoned my mom, who was in a course. My mom left calss, rushed home with a taxi (that costed a lot of cash), only to find my brother in his room, wearing pyjamas, watching youtube videos.

Mom has just spent an hour on phone calming granny down, commanding her to take her heart medicine NOW.
My granny has heart problems, and is VERY sensitive.

Trolls and assholes like this sould be executed.
People can be terrible. At least your brother WAS safe at home. bright side? Otherwise, I'm all about what F4ll0ut said
Post edited November 30, 2014 by Crewdroog
And you just reminded me of the humping monkeys in The Rundown.
Post edited November 30, 2014 by F4LL0UT
Crewdroog: People can be terrible. At least your brother WAS safe at home. bright side? Otherwise, I'm all about what F4ll0ut said
Yes... Well, we phoned the police, turns out it's a gang who steals money this way. Mom is now with granny, and the police is on it's way to talk with them =/

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer monkeydelarge's punishment :D But I would gladly accept F4ll0ut's one as well without second thoughts :P
F4LL0UT: And you just reminded me of the humping monkey in The Rundown.
That is a scary situation for those guys but nothing is more fearsome than the butt monkey from Bruce Almighty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7QMrR81yc
monkeydelarge: That is a scary situation for those guys but nothing is more fearsome than the butt monkey from Bruce Almighty.
I ninja edited the scene in that I actually meant. That one is even more disturbing than the butt monkey.

This may also be the right occasion to mention that your avatar always reminds me of this fella.
Post edited November 30, 2014 by F4LL0UT
monkeydelarge: That is a scary situation for those guys but nothing is more fearsome than the butt monkey from Bruce Almighty.
F4LL0UT: I ninja edited the scene in that I actually meant. That one is even more disturbing than the butt monkey.

This may also be the right occasion to mention that your avatar always reminds me of this fella.
I just saw the video in your updated post... That was horrible man.... That is a punishment reserved for those trapped in the lowest level of hell. :P You are right. That monkey is much worse than the butt monkey. That Hitman Monkey pic is hilarious. Thanks.
Post edited November 30, 2014 by monkeydelarge