It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Soccorro: Yep I have found out, that reading helps a lot. H.P. Lovecraft... aaahhh yes, The Cthulhu Universe...
Lovecraft, eh? Just finished Brave New World and that one did more harm than good to my mind. Guess I should move on to Lovecraft soon. :p
Post edited November 27, 2014 by F4LL0UT
Soccorro: Yep I have found out, that reading helps a lot. H.P. Lovecraft... aaahhh yes, The Cthulhu Universe...
F4LL0UT: Lovecraft, eh? Just finished Brave New World and that one did more harm than good to my mind. Guess I should move on to Lovecraft soon. :p
His Personality was crap but he was an exceptional author!
qux: To all those who have issues with depression and anxiety, all I can suggest is that you keep your mind occupied with other things. I've had to deal with depression and anxiety since my teens and programming has been my saving grace; sitting in front of a computer writing code is like retreating into another world for me and it helps my mental state in a big way. As corny as it sounds, find that special place that brings you some amount of peace, if only temporary. Well, it works for me anyway.

Chin up! your fighters, all of you.
It's good advice. Distraction has always been the best medicine for me. (That and Klonopin.)
My special place moves around a lot, and it is hard to find sometimes. Luckily I've got a good special place right now - strategy games. They keep my mind occupied more than anything else in my life right now. Writing has been a little helpful, too.
If all else fails, Giants: Citizen Kabuto has never let me down.
AlKim: Beaten with the racism stick again. Doesn't happen terribly often - most FInns either don't notice that I'm only half Finn, or they don't mind, or they notice and do mind but keep it to themselves - but it always ruins my day when it does.
Soccorro: ow yep that feels terrible. half finnish, half ...?
Asian; the country of origin doesn't matter. It's not the worst deal in the world, despite the negative attention that I occasionally attract. People of African descent are generally regarded more negatively around here, but Asians (and Eastern Europeans, or descendants thereof) are typically tolerated but still not really welcome. There are many individuals who welcome working immigrants (or others that they perceive as outsiders, such as I) but still get terribly jealous because there are so many unemployed Finns, many individuals who superficially welcome immigrants as full citizens and then give them shit when they "steal Finnish women" (and it's always, always women). Then there are those who would just rather send me back to where I came from, except that there is nowhere to send me because I'm already there.

It's the old "a dog is an animal that another dog calls a dog" thing, only with nationalities.
Soccorro: ow yep that feels terrible. half finnish, half ...?
AlKim: Asian; the country of origin doesn't matter. It's not the worst deal in the world, despite the negative attention that I occasionally attract. People of African descent are generally regarded more negatively around here, but Asians (and Eastern Europeans, or descendants thereof) are typically tolerated but still not really welcome. There are many individuals who welcome working immigrants (or others that they perceive as outsiders, such as I) but still get terribly jealous because there are so many unemployed Finns, many individuals who superficially welcome immigrants as full citizens and then give them shit when they "steal Finnish women" (and it's always, always women). Then there are those who would just rather send me back to where I came from, except that there is nowhere to send me because I'm already there.

It's the old "a dog is an animal that another dog calls a dog" thing, only with nationalities.
i have experienced that too. being from turkey can be painful sometimes, if youre living in germany... being pushed around or called names are the least hurtful things.
F4LL0UT: Lovecraft, eh? Just finished Brave New World and that one did more harm than good to my mind. Guess I should move on to Lovecraft soon. :p
I finished Brave New World two months or so ago and did not like it. The fist bit I enjoyed and thought was interesting, but by the end, especially the preachy bit, I was just like, "Make it stop, make it stop!" And then it soooo did. So ended.

I haven't read much Lovecraft, but what I have read, I've enjoyed. Might I suggest, The Color Out of Space?
Crewdroog: I finished Brave New World two months or so ago and did not like it. The fist bit I enjoyed and thought was interesting, but by the end, especially the preachy bit, I was just like, "Make it stop, make it stop!" And then it soooo did. So ended.
Lol, yeah, I was also a bit disappointed, although ironically the part where Mond explains why their society looks the way it does was one of the better parts IMO. Frankly I thought that it was brilliant that he actually had respect for John and Helmholtz and that he himself was actually just like them.

Crewdroog: I haven't read much Lovecraft, but what I have read, I've enjoyed. Might I suggest, The Color Out of Space?
Wrote it down. Will have to do some research to find out where to start anyway.
Sage103082: I am tired. I am burned out. I am alone.. I am not sure I can keep my head up anymore.

I am tired of the hate, the petty bullshit, the drama.

I am done being walked on.
Tarnicus: Correct. Correct. Incorrect. Incorrect (but you are the best judge of that).

Correct, correct, correct.

Correct, but don't stop walking :)
That post is fucking amazing when you're seeing double.
Thanksgiving, that magical day of the year that is either a happy day or a day of extreme pain depending on what kind of family you were born into...
monkeydelarge: Thanksgiving, that magical day of the year that is either a happy day or a day of extreme pain depending on what kind of family you were born into...
Add: Christmas, Easter, Father's Day and Mother's Day and birthdays to the list too.

People can change and new families can be found and created, even if it is more challenging for some, depending upon the level of support:

"it takes a village to raise a child".
Emob78: That post is fucking amazing when you're seeing double.
If you had made your reply a few words longer, to match Sage's first sentence length, then my insides would have been pleased by the pattern created. As it stands, it is incomplete! Maybe I need to be seeing double to appreciate it? :)
monkeydelarge: Thanksgiving, that magical day of the year that is either a happy day or a day of extreme pain depending on what kind of family you were born into...
Tarnicus: Add: Christmas, Easter, Father's Day and Mother's Day and birthdays to the list too.

People can change and new families can be found and created, even if it is more challenging for some, depending upon the level of support:

"it takes a village to raise a child".
They say blood is thicker than water but that's bullshit. Blood is nothing. What makes two people, family? Love and respect.
Post edited November 28, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Having to look for work less than a month to Xmas. last job screwed me over and stuffed my plans for next few months in process :/
Had to work 3 weeks nonstop. (Except for Sundays) My feet are dead and i just got planned in for tomorrow... I think i'm going to "see a Doctor"...

Oh and we have an ASTROPHYSICIST!!!! working there! He should be researching stuff but instead he is working for a little bit above minimum wage...
Post edited November 28, 2014 by Soccorro
Just got back from the UW vet. The KittyCATscan showed a couple questionable spots, one on each lung. <sigh> And that's in addition to the major tumor outside his chest cavity. Been through lung cancer with Dad earlier this year (it was really quick), my stepdad last year (drawn out over about a year), and a family friend, also earlier this year.

And now Oscar.

Well, shit.

Told them that we'll take the palliative route - we're not going to put him through crazy medical efforts when it might gain him but 3-6 more months, and probably not the best of months at that. For now we'll continue to spoil the hell out of him.