It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A plate melted and then cracked on us in the microwave.
It was a plate from the 1970s that my mother got in Malaysia when she got married.

So it survived a ship journey to the UK, and years of kids using it only to melt in a microwave. :P

Sometimes glassware will crack because of the temperature differential. Any flaws in the glassware may not crack the first few times you use it, but eventually, the stress gets too much, and then you have a chandelier in your microwave.

I once had a cheapo free glass I got from buying two bottles of pop crack in the sink from my dad playing opera too loudly.
Post edited November 06, 2014 by Getcomposted
Getcomposted: A plate melted and then cracked on us in the microwave.
It was a plate from the 1970s that my mother got in Malaysia when she got married.

So it survived a ship journey to the UK, and years of kids using it only to melt in a microwave. :P

Sometimes glassware will crack because of the temperature differential. Any flaws in the glassware may not crack the first few times you use it, but eventually, the stress gets too much, and then you have a chandelier in your microwave.

I once had a cheapo free glass I got from buying two bottles of pop crack in the sink from my dad playing opera too loudly.
I remember once trying to heat a clump of brown sugar to break it up aaaaaand it completely melt-cracked the glass container, fairly thick glass too. So be do be careful.
Getcomposted: A plate melted and then cracked on us in the microwave.

Ragnarblackmane: I remember once trying to heat a clump of brown sugar to break it up aaaaaand it completely melt-cracked the glass container, fairly thick glass too. So be do be careful.
Reminds me of how i tried to make popcorn, when i was around six. i forgot to cover the pan and was caught by a crossfire of flying popcorn. i ran away and hid under my blanket.
Soccorro: Reminds me of how i tried to make popcorn, when i was around six. i forgot to cover the pan and was caught by a crossfire of flying popcorn. i ran away and hid under my blanket.
Now that's cooking under fire! :)
Soccorro: Reminds me of how i tried to make popcorn, when i was around six. i forgot to cover the pan and was caught by a crossfire of flying popcorn. i ran away and hid under my blanket.
Duck and cover! What we are taught for every possible disaster. You did the right thing :)
F4LL0UT: I'm aware that one shouldn't put that kind of stuff into the microwave oven, first I actually wasn't going to. Then my GF told me that this particular stuff is okay (for reasons she couldn't explain, of course) but pointed me to the instructions on the box and indeed, they said to put the whole thing in there, along with the foil. I was skeptical and watched the thing carefully at first - there were no sparks so I guess everything was okay with that.
As I said, instructions on the box said it's okay for this stuff, so I did it (despite being worried at first) and indeed there were no sparks.

And I don't know why there were no sparks, I have no idea whether it was about the material or something else. But I don't think the plate explosion was related to the foil (or that the foil was doing anything bad at all). I think it was really just about the temperature the plate reached because of how long I was supposed to heat this stuff.

I'm pretty sure he meant me. :P
Ragnarblackmane: Why on earth would I mean you? I quoted him because frankly all of his posts indicate a deep-seated psychological disorder or else trolling.
He's not a troll and he's not insane.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_bitch_about_life_in_general_thread/post7445
monkeydelarge: He's not a troll and he's not insane.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_bitch_about_life_in_general_thread/post7445
ROFLMAO...thanks, that was awesome.
monkeydelarge: He's not a troll and he's not insane.
Ragnarblackmane: ROFLMAO...thanks, that was awesome.
WTF? I don't understand.
Post edited November 06, 2014 by monkeydelarge
to cheer you all a little bit up: Aladin in reverse:

http://i.imgur.com/tAqezCp.gif
Edit - As usual, I changed my mind and deleted my post.
Fuck you, OCD.
Post edited November 07, 2014 by AdamR
KiNgBrAdLeY7: I always wanted to join a pirate ship and crew! But i can't! 300-400 years too late!!!
You can do that these days. It's just that our ability to wipe out pirates happens to be a bit higher these days. :P
KiNgBrAdLeY7: I always wanted to join a pirate ship and crew! But i can't! 300-400 years too late!!!
FraggingBard: You can do that these days. It's just that our ability to wipe out pirates happens to be a bit higher these days. :P
True. One could always get a boat and become a pirate today but then almost every single government in this world will send their navy after you. And that means, some days later, there is a 99% chance you will get shot in the head by a sniper or arrested(if you surrender yourself). So I recommend playing Sid Meier's Pirates or Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag instead.

There is a much smarter and safer option to satisfy your inner pirate(and a less immoral option). You could always wait for two countries to go to war with each other and then offer to be a privateer for one of the countries. If you are not sure what a privateer is then read these words from Wikipedia. "A privateer or "corsair" was a private person or ship authorized by a government by letters of marque to attack foreign vessels during wartime." So if you are a privateer, you won't have the entire world trying to stop you. Your only enemy will be the navy of one country and the navies of their allies if they have any allies(and enemy privateers of course). And if the enemy ship you boarded, has anything of value then it is yours for the taking. :) A good movie to watch about privateers is The Sea Hawk with Errol Flynn.
Post edited November 08, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Assassin's Creed isn't about an... assassin? Crusader era? That altair guy? Never touched the series, because of DRM...
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Assassin's Creed isn't about an... assassin? Crusader era? That altair guy? Never touched the series, because of DRM...
It's about assassins but they don't take people out for money. They only take out those they see as "evil". That's the impression I got from the first game. I have never touched the other games because they are too unoptimized.
KiNgBrAdLeY7: Assassin's Creed isn't about an... assassin? Crusader era? That altair guy? Never touched the series, because of DRM...
monkeydelarge: It's about assassins but they don't take people out for money. They only take out those they see as "evil". That's the impression I got from the first game. I have never touched the other games because they are too unoptimized.
Too unoptimized, and not on GoG... Especially, not of GoG. Reason more than enough to avoid buying ANYTHING.
Post edited November 08, 2014 by KiNgBrAdLeY7