It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've been busy with university studies (a computer program) and I'm already burned out. I keep trying to put up a schedule, minimize distractions, keep an organic organization of my work that hopefully becomes better with time so that most of my time will be put to learning and the rest to complete an essay or repeat what I need to before an exam but it doesn't feel like it's enough. It's early in the semester but still, too much effort, energy and time is required. I also sleep like shit because I'm a night person and I keep pushing the day rhythm even if I keep a consistent alarm schedule every day (even on weekends).

I've been thinking about long-term plans of my solution and that is if I feel this isn't working out for me in a few months I'm probably going to quit, then trying to combine self-education and distance education. At least then I'll have the motivation knowing what awaits me otherwise.
Post edited September 21, 2014 by Nirth
Nirth: ...
I was a disorganized night owl in school, too.

One year I decided to do things properly. Every morning, I got up really early, ate some cereal, and headed to a quiet corner of a library. There were a few secluded desks hidden near windows at the ends of book stacks. I didn't bring a phone or a computer. Just my text books, a few notebooks, a print out of any assignments, and some pens. I'd read relevant chapters before attending class, and I'd attack homework as soon as I received it, rather than wait til the last night. I probably spent 3 hours there, each day. Afterwards, I'd be awake and alert for class, and lectures would be smooth as I'd already introduced myself to the material.

It was by far the easiest time I had at school.

After that year or so, though, I went back to my inconsistent nighttime ways. Oh well. Still, if you're looking to smooth out your academic life a bit, I can recommend settling in at a library desk every morning at 6am or so.
iippo: Have 4th totally different gpu - its also running way too hot out of box. Asus is telling me to check if the fan is connected properly. the joy.
It's got to be that heat wave up there in Finland.
Nirth: ...
grimwerk: I got up really early, ate some cereal, and headed to a quiet corner of a library. There were a few secluded desks hidden near windows at the ends of book stacks.
I don't think that works unless you are on speed or something. Libraries and books put me to sleep.
Post edited September 21, 2014 by VABlitz
VABlitz: I don't think that works unless you are on speed or something. Libraries and books put me to sleep.
My local public library is quite limited, but they do have regular Lego events.

We instead use the public library a few towns over, where my kid goes to school. Whoa. They have three or four aisles of DVDs, a shelf of Xbox games, a shelf of PS3 games, and a shelf of PS4 games. They even have a 3-D printer. And of course, a decent selection of books. (Though their network doesn't have the Witcher books.) Plus, they have a room at the entrance where they sell books they have taken out of circulation. I've bought a whole pile of 'em.

I thought libraries were dying a bit, but this one has a lot of traffic. Anyway, if you haven't visited your library in a while, it may surprise you.

I sound like a dorky advert. Sorry.
On the topic of libraries and staying on topic with this thread, I really really really can't stand how libraries are now noisy. Kids are running around and screaming, people are talking on phones, and no one gives a shit. I tried to go there to study for a very important exam and left within 2 minutes. I tried another library with the same result. It's become a cheap-ass day care center to ditch your brats while you have your mommy or daddy time. And, the libraries don't care because as society continues its dark descent into madness they hold on to the small hope that these nose-picking, book-throwing, Ritalin-riddled offspring will actually want to read! Read something... read anything... at least read the bloody sign on the wall that says STFU and read!

(I don't always rant, but when I do, I prefer to kick ass! Stay ranty, my friends.)
well, had my first math pre course lesson today. that was the most confusing lesson ive ever had. by just using letters and no numbers at all, the professor magically found out that some weird looking E equals 1. and we already had a test to see if we meet the minimum requirements. it is possible to have a negative amount of points. i guess im somewhere around -98 points.
I'm sick for a week, I can't get out, can't do anything, bored to see my home again and again...
benderz: I'm sick for a week, I can't get out, can't do anything, bored to see my home again and again...
Yuck. Hope you are better soon!
benderz: I'm sick for a week, I can't get out, can't do anything, bored to see my home again and again...
misteryo: Yuck. Hope you are better soon!
Thanks! :-)
Soccorro: well, had my first math pre course lesson today. that was the most confusing lesson ive ever had. by just using letters and no numbers at all, the professor magically found out that some weird looking E equals 1. and we already had a test to see if we meet the minimum requirements. it is possible to have a negative amount of points. i guess im somewhere around -98 points.
Did you pass the test?
Soccorro: well, had my first math pre course lesson today. that was the most confusing lesson ive ever had. by just using letters and no numbers at all, the professor magically found out that some weird looking E equals 1. and we already had a test to see if we meet the minimum requirements. it is possible to have a negative amount of points. i guess im somewhere around -98 points.
blarth: Did you pass the test?
Haha, no. My results were one of the worst. I already cancelled the enrollment. I didn't know computer sciences includes that much math. the prof. used letters only, instead of numbers. that was too much logic. now i have to wait another year until i can apply there again. i will be 23 by then.
Soccorro: Haha, no. My results were one of the worst. I already cancelled the enrollment. I didn't know computer sciences includes that much math. the prof. used letters only, instead of numbers. that was too much logic. now i have to wait another year until i can apply there again. i will be 23 by then.
Could you study up on the mathematics on your own before you apply again next year?
Soccorro: Haha, no. My results were one of the worst. I already cancelled the enrollment. I didn't know computer sciences includes that much math. the prof. used letters only, instead of numbers. that was too much logic. now i have to wait another year until i can apply there again. i will be 23 by then.
Getcomposted: Could you study up on the mathematics on your own before you apply again next year?
the problem is, that the maths tought at a university is nothing like the math i had at school, it's pure logic. i don't think that logical thinking is something that can be learned.
I've been looking for a job for about five months now, and saw an opening for a Danish-speaking tech support position. The position requires that the applicant be fluent in writing as well as speech, which I am not, so I sent them an e-mail asking if they'd be interested in accepting me as an intern, at least. I got an immediate response and was asked to send in my CV, so I did and got called an hour later. They seemed very interested, and I thought it was an interesting position, so they said they'd call later to verify my language skills. Their Danish team leader called last night, we spent a few minutes making small talk, he seemed satisfied. Today they called and told me that there was no way around the writing fluency requirement.

Sigh. Back to square one.
Post edited September 24, 2014 by Jekadu
Soccorro: the problem is, that the maths tought at a university is nothing like the math i had at school, it's pure logic. i don't think that logical thinking is something that can be learned.
Drat.