It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

My Steam is broken. A reminder of why I favour GOG and other DRM-free alternatives these days.
Ragnarblackmane: I love your avatar, just sayin':).
Why thank you. And your screen name is quite Awesome. I may use it for my next Skyrim warrior.
Where I came from, we were forced to take Latin in high school....groan...and I dont remember any of it.
marianne: Where I came from, we were forced to take Latin in high school....groan...and I dont remember any of it.
Is it sadder that I voluntarily took it? And in college? I don't remember much either, you don't use it, you lose it. ...Although, how often do you need to discuss the boys and the girls fighting on the plain with spears?

Semper ubi sub ubi :)
SaraB123: Why thank you. And your screen name is quite Awesome. I may use it for my next Skyrim warrior.
I cannot take credit for it, that goes to Games Workshop:)
Bitchfits! :P
marianne: Where I came from, we were forced to take Latin in high school....groan...and I dont remember any of it.
Crewdroog: Is it sadder that I voluntarily took it? And in college? I don't remember much either, you don't use it, you lose it. ...Although, how often do you need to discuss the boys and the girls fighting on the plain with spears?

Latin does have its uses in everyday life though, you can translate tombstone inscriptions and plates at important monuments plus it's like an all-in-one magic weapon for making sense of technical terms and helps with understanding a whole bunch of languages: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French...even Latin based words in other languages such as Russian, Polish, German etc.
I just went to Poland and since I don't speak Polish, I just guessed and made up words using the Latin base and adding some Slavic sounding endings until people understood what I was trying to say, and surprisingly this even worked from time to time. So Latin is very useful even in these modern times!
I forgot a lot of what I learned during 7 years of mandatory Latin classes but some things you'll never forget. When I see former classmates from high school, it's a perpetual in-joke to recite lines from Caesar's 'De Bello Gallico' to each other to remind us of our past ordeals. I liked Latin though and found it more useful than math. You can survive without math past elementary school level but surviving without language skills is much harder imho.
Crewdroog: Is it sadder that I voluntarily took it? And in college? I don't remember much either, you don't use it, you lose it. ...Although, how often do you need to discuss the boys and the girls fighting on the plain with spears?

awalterj: Latin does have its uses in everyday life though, you can translate tombstone inscriptions and plates at important monuments plus it's like an all-in-one magic weapon for making sense of technical terms and helps with understanding a whole bunch of languages: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French...even Latin based words in other languages such as Russian, Polish, German etc.
I just went to Poland and since I don't speak Polish, I just guessed and made up words using the Latin base and adding some Slavic sounding endings until people understood what I was trying to say, and surprisingly this even worked from time to time. So Latin is very useful even in these modern times!
I forgot a lot of what I learned during 7 years of mandatory Latin classes but some things you'll never forget. When I see former classmates from high school, it's a perpetual in-joke to recite lines from Caesar's 'De Bello Gallico' to each other to remind us of our past ordeals. I liked Latin though and found it more useful than math. You can survive without math past elementary school level but surviving without language skills is much harder imho.
My comment was more tongue in cheek. I loved latin, and I took it precisely for the reasons you mentioned it. I also took spanish after two yrs of latin and it was sooooooooo much easier to pick up. I also took it b/c i knew i was going to go into the sciences, and figured it would help me with those fun words (well, at least the ones that weren't greek in origin :) )
Crewdroog: My comment was more tongue in cheek. I loved latin, and I took it precisely for the reasons you mentioned it. I also took spanish after two yrs of latin and it was sooooooooo much easier to pick up. I also took it b/c i knew i was going to go into the sciences, and figured it would help me with those fun words (well, at least the ones that weren't greek in origin :) )
Old Greek is fun too but on a whole other level, I had the choice between English and Old Greek as a mandatory class and chose English as an easy class, else school would have cut too much into my gaming time.
School is rained in. Good. School struggles to hold classes when rain+student unions holding strikes. Bad. Campus politics disgusts me.
awalterj: Latin does have its uses in everyday life though, you can translate tombstone inscriptions and plates at important monuments plus it's like an all-in-one magic weapon for making sense of technical terms and helps with understanding a whole bunch of languages: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French...even Latin based words in other languages such as Russian, Polish, German etc.
Crewdroog: My comment was more tongue in cheek. I loved latin, and I took it precisely for the reasons you mentioned it. I also took spanish after two yrs of latin and it was sooooooooo much easier to pick up. I also took it b/c i knew i was going to go into the sciences, and figured it would help me with those fun words (well, at least the ones that weren't greek in origin :) )
I took Spanish in college and found it so very easy that I was able to skip freshman and jump into sophomore Spanish. And it was likely do to my Latin background.
There are several things I could really "bitch" about at the moment, but one case takes the cake.

My co-worker recently told me her ex-boyfriend beat her quite badly earlier this year(she was on a sick leave for a while, so I had no idea what had happened to her). She even showed me a photo of her face the day after the assault. It was not a pretty sight.
The asshole denied beating her, and the cops said there's no evidence, so the fucker got off without charges.

Now she has to go through therapy in order to cope with that shit. She honestly is one of the most calm, gentle and passive individuals I have ever met in my life, which is probably why she got caught up with that dipshit in the first place.

Now the thing that pisses me off the most, is that the walking garbage is not going to suffer any consequences, at least when it comes to the Finnish law.
I have some second- and third-hand connections to people who might be willing to extract some street justice for the right price. I'm tempted to utilize them.
Post edited August 24, 2014 by Ignoramus
Why does the police say there is a lack of evidence? If I recall, in India, the complaint from a female citizen is enough. If the guy opposes, the girl's word is considered the truth or something like that. I think that's how its like everywhere.
Ignoramus: Now the thing that pisses me off the most, is that the walking garbage is not going to suffer any consequences, at least when it comes to the Finnish law.
I have some second- and third-hand connections to people who might be willing to extract some street justice for the right price. I'm tempted to utilize them.
If you get beaten, look like youre beaten, go straight to see doctor and then go to see police about it (with ofcourse doctors papers that youve been really beaten) - i dont see how that could end end up with just "no evidence".
Ignoramus: There are several things I could really "bitch" about at the moment, but one case takes the cake.

My co-worker recently told me her ex-boyfriend beat her quite badly earlier this year(she was on a sick leave for a while, so I had no idea what had happened to her). She even showed me a photo of her face the day after the assault. It was not a pretty sight.
The asshole denied beating her, and the cops said there's no evidence, so the fucker got off without charges.

Now she has to go through therapy in order to cope with that shit. She honestly is one of the most calm, gentle and passive individuals I have ever met in my life, which is probably why she got caught up with that dipshit in the first place.

Now the thing that pisses me off the most, is that the walking garbage is not going to suffer any consequences, at least when it comes to the Finnish law.
Because there are people who believe you need audio recordings, video recordings and more before you can say someone is guilty of something. They believe you have to prove someone is guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. I am not one of those people...
Ignoramus: Now the thing that pisses me off the most, is that the walking garbage is not going to suffer any consequences, at least when it comes to the Finnish law.
iippo: If you get beaten, look like youre beaten, go straight to see doctor and then go to see police about it (with ofcourse doctors papers that youve been really beaten) - i dont see how that could end end up with just "no evidence".
Maybe she thought the pic would be enough.
Post edited August 24, 2014 by monkeydelarge