It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Its gotten colder lately. 10C last night, 9C night before. Not complaining. Days are rainy and windy though :/
just had a weird converstation with a prof. at the uni, i've been to in order to ask about studying Biology. The applications are due at the 15th of july but that's a different story. I've been talking to the lady about what's possible to specialize in, when that professor came in and heard me talking about studying biology. He RAN, HE RAN!!! to me and shouted: "NO! No, don't do it you're wasting your time! Biology is a kamikaze-subject, go for something else!" Me: "Why?" Prof:"None of those who have graduated in biology last year, have gotten a job, NONE of them. There are way too many biology grads every year, and no one is looking forward for their applications, really there is noone waiting for biology grads."

Wow, looks like i have to reconsider my my future plans within in a couple of days. -.-
Soccorro: just had a weird converstation with a prof. at the uni, i've been to in order to ask about studying Biology. The applications are due at the 15th of july but that's a different story. I've been talking to the lady about what's possible to specialize in, when that professor came in and heard me talking about studying biology. He RAN, HE RAN!!! to me and shouted: "NO! No, don't do it you're wasting your time! Biology is a kamikaze-subject, go for something else!" Me: "Why?" Prof:"None of those who have graduated in biology last year, have gotten a job, NONE of them. There are way too many biology grads every year, and no one is looking forward for their applications, really there is noone waiting for biology grads."

Wow, looks like i have to reconsider my my future plans within in a couple of days. -.-
This is ouch.

But isn't biology broad enough, is what he's saying valid for all possibles fields of specialization ? Can't you find one underpopulated niche and aim for it ?

I mean, from ethnobotanics to biotechnologies, from cancer research to oceanography, from paleontology to genetics... The field seems so wide...
Post edited June 11, 2014 by Telika
AlKim: Been watching Doctor Who. I know that the series is as old as the oceans, but even so the Daleks are fucking retarded baddies. I just can't take the stupid Roombas seriously.
I didn't mind when they first brought them back (first new series, Eccleston-era), but I felt they got played out when they kept bringing them back, again and again. For example, the Weeping Angels were AWESOME in "Blink," but by the 7th or 8th time they brought them back, they weren't creepy or scary any more. I agree with you that the Daleks started to become a kind of joke, and some of the ways they kept coming back were quite silly.
Soccorro: just had a weird converstation with a prof. at the uni, i've been to in order to ask about studying Biology. The applications are due at the 15th of july but that's a different story. I've been talking to the lady about what's possible to specialize in, when that professor came in and heard me talking about studying biology. He RAN, HE RAN!!! to me and shouted: "NO! No, don't do it you're wasting your time! Biology is a kamikaze-subject, go for something else!" Me: "Why?" Prof:"None of those who have graduated in biology last year, have gotten a job, NONE of them. There are way too many biology grads every year, and no one is looking forward for their applications, really there is noone waiting for biology grads."

Telika: This is ouch.

But isn't biology broad enough, is what he's saying valid for all possibles fields of specialization ? Can't you find one underpopulated niche and aim for it ?

I mean, from ethnobotanics to biotechnologies, from cancer research to oceanography, from paleontology to genetics... The field seems so wide...
and yet iit is so small. :( There are around 700 job offers, and around 9000 bio grads every year. And you are also competing with medicine and pharmacy grads, who are much better off with their subjects.
Post edited June 11, 2014 by Soccorro

Soccorro: and yet iit is so small. :( There are around 700 job offers, and around 9000 bio grads every year. And you are also competing with medicine and pharmacy grads, who are much better off with their subjects.
Ha, try being in the humanities. :-) I'm a grad student, and I start looking for a job in the fall as well. Basically, I was told that if I send out 100 applications, I may get 1 or 2 interviews. Then I'm competing with 10 other people for the same job. Then maybe 3 people get invited to campus. If you're lucky, you're the one they pick. It's a crap shoot.
Soccorro: and yet iit is so small. :( There are around 700 job offers, and around 9000 bio grads every year. And you are also competing with medicine and pharmacy grads, who are much better off with their subjects.
Are you sure you're not looking a bit too locally ? I mean, geographically ?
AlKim: Been watching Doctor Who. I know that the series is as old as the oceans, but even so the Daleks are fucking retarded baddies. I just can't take the stupid Roombas seriously.
wanderwoman25: I didn't mind when they first brought them back (first new series, Eccleston-era), but I felt they got played out when they kept bringing them back, again and again. For example, the Weeping Angels were AWESOME in "Blink," but by the 7th or 8th time they brought them back, they weren't creepy or scary any more. I agree with you that the Daleks started to become a kind of joke, and some of the ways they kept coming back were quite silly.
I've heard that the way the little bastards get recycled over and over and over gets tiresome, but I've only watched the Eccleston series, and even still I think of the Daleks as nothing less than pathetic. I had a half-hour fit of hysterical laughter at the final episode of that series because that's just how ridiculous the Daleks are to me. It's probably because they are conceptualized as some kind of invincible, unstoppable steel tidal wave of death and yet portrayed as unbelievably inefficient and tardy in everything that they do, in addition to looking like some kind of mix of a gangsta rapper's bin, a body-hugging porta-potty and an iron maiden.

Pharmacology, now that's where it's at. Get a job just about anywhere in the world, you get to sit on a pedestal looking down on everyone, the only stress is from trying to fit everything on that little label and reading sloppy handwriting by doctors, you get to wear a white lab coat to get all the chicks. The only downsides I see are the cost of 8 years of school and oxy addicts holding you up and stealing your stuff...(just had one pharmacist a while back get shot and killed by one).
AlKim: Daleks...in addition to looking like some kind of mix of a gangsta rapper's bin, a body-hugging porta-potty and an iron maiden.
I always thought they looked like a salt shaker.
Post edited June 11, 2014 by VABlitz
VABlitz: Pharmacology, now that's where it's at. Get a job just about anywhere in the world, you get to sit on a pedestal looking down on everyone, the only stress is from trying to fit everything on that little label and reading sloppy handwriting by doctors, you get to wear a white lab coat to get all the chicks. The only downsides I see are the cost of 8 years of school and oxy addicts holding you up and stealing your stuff...(just had one pharmacist a while back get shot and killed by one).
AlKim: in addition to looking like some kind of mix of a gangsta rapper's bin, a body-hugging porta-potty and an iron maiden.
VABlitz: I always thought they looked like a salt shaker.
i've already tried getting into pharmacy, it's near impossible. They told me, that with my gda i would have to wait at least 5-6 years.
Crapstar anti-social bullshit club... I simply hate this monstrosity.

Got Max Payne 3 some months ago and wanted to play it now (finally). Started up the game and what happened? Rockstar Social Club came up. I know I've registered there (L.A. Noire) and I know which e-mail I used (I only have one private e-mail). But no matter which password I tried (I have two passwords for unimportant crap like this social club), it failed. "Fuck that, try one of your two e-mails you use for work and register a new account", I thought... I entered my birthday and hit next. "No connection. There may be a problem with your network" wtf?

Great... I went to socialclub.rockstargames.com (problems with my network, you say?) and tried a password reset for my account. All I got was a message saying "Thank you, please check your inbox for the reset password email." Yeah... I did. It's all that I was doing in the last half hour... Still no stupid mail.

I think I'll uninstall the 27GB of junk I just downloaded today. Maybe I'll send a nice "Thanks for encouraging piracy" mail to Rockstar as well. Stupid fuckheads. Honestly... Put at least two or three layers of DRM in your game and watch your customers go mad. That's the way to go. Magnificient! Marvelous! Absolutely superbly splendid! You can put your GTA V where the sun never shines! I will not buy it. No support for devs who have panic that someone could play their games!

Will fire up the GOG Downloader and start to play Shadowrun Returns now (or more precisely: tomorrow -.-). I really felt like playing Max Payne in the ass, but this is just not acceptable.
real.geizterfahr: I really felt like playing Max Payne in the ass, but this is just not acceptable.
I'm not really sure that's how you play Max Payne.

However, sometimes emails for password resets are delayed a day...I don't know why, the internet is a temperamental bitch.
Post edited June 11, 2014 by VABlitz
Telika: Are you sure you're not looking a bit too locally ? I mean, geographically ?
Nope, apparently it's a dead end subject. i've also asked a biologist, who made it into the research branch. He said it's difficult to make a living with it. research is running from a temporary contract to another temporary contract and once you're out for a half a year/ one year, it's impossible to ever work in the research branch again.
VABlitz: I'm not really sure that's how you play Max Payne.
Someone who's in a "Rockstar Social Club" definitely wants to be played that way!

VABlitz: However, sometimes emails for password resets are delayed a day...I don't know why, the internet is a temperamental bitch.
Since the whole Club-thing seems to be inoperative, I was already prepared to get no mail. If login and registration don't work, why should the password reset work? It's just that it's Rockstar again... I didn't have a lot of problems with DRM in my life. Games for Windows Live didn't work on one occasion, which meant I couldn't save my offline game (awesome...) and my antivir thought the Blizzard-launcher (or whatever this thing that comes with Starcraft 2 is called) was a trojan horse. That's it, more or less. And then there's Rockstar...

I had the "drunken cam" on GTA IV a couple of times. One of those funny copy protection systems that makes pirate's games unplayable. Just that I'm not a pirate. I can't remember how many layers of DRM the Steam version of GTA IV has (was it 3?), but they all failed to tell the game that I'm a paying customer and not a pirate. And now this. You can't even quit the game at this point. You're in a "Press Enter" menu which leads to the Social Club login. There's no Exit button. I had to close the game via task manager.

Gnah! Sorry, but Rockstar's DRM is just too much. I have three modern-ish Rockstar games (GTA IV, L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3) and two of them prevented me from playing, because one of their countless DRM systems doesn't work. How can they sell this shit? They brake their games deliberately... That's just beond me.

One client? Yeah, okay, have your DRM. If it makes you sleep better... But this? I better get some booze and calm down before I go Yippie-Kay-Yay in Rockstar HQ...
Bat in the house.

Cute little guy but I need him outside eating flies not in here pestering my poor cat.