It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: Oh good, it's snowing,

Again.
You keep complaining about the cold, but your work in the basement would have been way more comfortable if that water had frozen.
Soccorro: I can't stop buying stuff i don't need. i just got a wireless gaming keyboard and mouse... and two headsets...TWO!!!
Can get worse: I got two laptops - one at home, one at my parents where I come to sleep over about once a month.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by DubConqueror
tinyE: Oh good, it's snowing,

Again.
Telika: You keep complaining about the cold, but your work in the basement would have been way more comfortable if that water had frozen.
XD I just bitch too much is the problem.

I'm not complaining about the cold because it really isn't that cold out, it's just the snow. I love snow but this has been going on since late September and I'm just starting to get sick of it if for no other reason then I'd like some variety. Raining fire would be nice distraction if not a tad more destructive. :P
Soccorro: I can't stop buying stuff i don't need. i just got a wireless gaming keyboard and mouse... and two headsets...TWO!!!
Where's the problem? Put them both on at once for surround sound and stereo recording. It's a clever alternative to spending zillions on a surround headset and/or a stereo recorder.
oh man... buying unnecessary stuff doesn't help at all. I don't really feel any better by now. I still feel incredibly old (no offense). Wtf... Anyone else who has experienced/ is experiencing this? It is really depressing... Good thing, GOG.com is also a psychology forum.
Got receipts? Return one headset. That'll provide the psychological boost of spending a bit more responsibly.

You can always do like me: mull over these purchase decisions for a very long time... and then end up getting nothing. ; ) I've been thinking about a new joystick for a couple years now and STILL haven't A) found "the one", and B) actually bought the damn thing. And it's not like I'm considering an $800 pro-sumer full-on HOTAS system, but more along the lines of $50 - $100.

For what it's worth, I usually feel better about NOT buying something, because then I know I put forth the consideration it deserves and came to the conclusion that it either wasn't necessary or that I can get by with an alternative.
Sometimes, when people's lives are very empty, they fill it with material things to make themselves feel better... Maybe you are depressed and feel lonely? Maybe you need a girlfriend?
Post edited April 29, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Soccorro: oh man... buying unnecessary stuff doesn't help at all. I don't really feel any better by now. I still feel incredibly old (no offense). Wtf... Anyone else who has experienced/ is experiencing this? It is really depressing... Good thing, GOG.com is also a psychology forum.
Just whatever you do don't keep a balanced spreadsheet of expenses/incomes. I recently bought a new TV for my bedroom and seeing that I am in the red this month really makes it sink in what that purchase did to me. While I have been thinking about getting a new TV in the bedroom for two years and the thing was on sale, it was still a very rash decision on my part. I did feel very good for a few days before and after the purchase, but that ended quickly when I entered that expense into my spreadsheet.
Post edited April 29, 2014 by jjsimp
I'm getting dizzy and I wanna puke.

In February my buddy came up with the idea for a game involving ships, a game where you try to survive a storm, you have to balance your phone/tablet to keep people from falling off your ship. It seemed like a cool and fun idea, especially with a cute and innocent presentation. So we made it. And we released it in late March. Then we decided to work some more on it and expand it before starting to advertize it. In the process of expanding it we added more ships, including quite wacky ideas like a space capsule. During the brainstorming also a crashed airliner came up but we instantly scrapped the idea because we considered it too insensitive so soon after the Malaysia Airline incident. We continued to work on the game and a trailer until two days ago, the trailer had the oh-so-funny slogan "this spring ship's goin' down". And I put it all up, I began messaging reviewers and posting the game in different places. Nobody said anything until I showed that trailer to my brother today who was shocked watching the thing.

Yeah, I was so focused on working on the game and the trailer that I completely missed the news on the recent catastrophe in South Korea. And less than two weeks later I posted a trailer with such a slogan and am advertizing a game with such a subject matter. Heck, if I saw a game like that released at such a time by someone else I'd simply be disgusted. And now I have no idea what I should do.
F4LL0UT: I'm getting dizzy and I wanna puke.

In February my buddy came up with the idea for a game involving ships, a game where you try to survive a storm, you have to balance your phone/tablet to keep people from falling off your ship. It seemed like a cool and fun idea, especially with a cute and innocent presentation. So we made it. And we released it in late March. Then we decided to work some more on it and expand it before starting to advertize it. In the process of expanding it we added more ships, including quite wacky ideas like a space capsule. During the brainstorming also a crashed airliner came up but we instantly scrapped the idea because we considered it too insensitive so soon after the Malaysia Airline incident. We continued to work on the game and a trailer until two days ago, the trailer had the oh-so-funny slogan "this spring ship's goin' down". And I put it all up, I began messaging reviewers and posting the game in different places. Nobody said anything until I showed that trailer to my brother today who was shocked watching the thing.

Yeah, I was so focused on working on the game and the trailer that I completely missed the news on the recent catastrophe in South Korea. And less than two weeks later I posted a trailer with such a slogan and am advertizing a game with such a subject matter. Heck, if I saw a game like that released at such a time by someone else I'd simply be disgusted. And now I have no idea what I should do.
OR you could just assume the people behind the game were ignorant about what happened near South Korea and not be disgusted... You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you have a website or some other place(Twitter) that represents your game or your team on the internet, just post an explanation so some people don't think you guys are sociopaths. Tell everyone, you and your team were so busy working on the game, you and your team did not read about the tragedy until it was too late. Maybe donate a percentage of the money you make from the game to the families of the victims near South Korea to convince the non believers.
Post edited May 01, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Well, these things are happening all the time so there's no perfect time to release an otherwise-innocuous title.

Could you use the existing work as a platform and change the graphical elements? Noah saving animals on the ark, for instance, plus there's the new movie tie-in... Besides, who wouldn't want to save little animals?

Or you could make it a drunk walk game.
monkeydelarge: You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you have a website or some other place(Twitter) that represents your game or your team on the internet, just post an explanation so some people don't think you guys are sociopaths. Tell everyone, you and your team were so busy working on the game, you and your team did not read about the tragedy until it was too late.
Thanks for those reassuring words. I seriously panicked there. I was about to add a comment on the issue wherever I'm advertizing/submitting the game currently but then I'd kinda enforce that kind of connection for *everyone* who's discovering the game through any of the channels we're using to advertize it which would probably be a bad idea, it's a similar case with a tweet. I probably shouldn't raise additional attention towards the issue but I think your suggestion with the website is a good idea, to have some official statement on the issue somewhere.

monkeydelarge: Maybe donate a percentage of the money you make from the game to the families of the victims near South Korea to convince the non believers.
Yeah, I had pretty much the same thought already, although I neither know whether the option exists or whether the game is gonna make enough money in the first place, plus announcing that kind of move would seem like a tasteless attempt at getting publicity or something. Should the game by some freak accident make a serious amount of money I'd definitely see whether I could use it in such a manner, though.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.
HereForTheBeer: Could you use the existing work as a platform and change the graphical elements? Noah saving animals on the ark, for instance, plus there's the new movie tie-in... Besides, who wouldn't want to save little animals?
Actually one of the planned alternative skins was the Ark and animals as passengers (I actually simply forgot to include the Ark in one of our updates while it was the first skin we ever thought up), we already have another similar option in the game. But we'd still have to turn it into a completely new product to get rid of all that sensitive material which would take a large amount of time and waste a lot of effort we've put into it already. It's not really affordable right now. We're just two guys with a tiny budget.

In retrospect it's indeed incredibly stupid we didn't make it an ark game. I guess having that as the main theme and the word in the title would have been incredibly valuable now that the movie has probably raised a lot of interest in the topic. :P

HereForTheBeer: Or you could make it a drunk walk game.
Incidentally we've got a half-finished game about drink driving lying around...
monkeydelarge: You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you have a website or some other place(Twitter) that represents your game or your team on the internet, just post an explanation so some people don't think you guys are sociopaths. Tell everyone, you and your team were so busy working on the game, you and your team did not read about the tragedy until it was too late.
F4LL0UT: Thanks for those reassuring words. I seriously panicked there. I was about to add a comment on the issue wherever I'm advertizing/submitting the game currently but then I'd kinda enforce that kind of connection for *everyone* who's discovering the game through any of the channels we're using to advertize it which would probably be a bad idea, it's a similar case with a tweet. I probably shouldn't raise additional attention towards the issue but I think your suggestion with the website is a good idea, to have some official statement on the issue somewhere.

monkeydelarge: Maybe donate a percentage of the money you make from the game to the families of the victims near South Korea to convince the non believers.
F4LL0UT: Yeah, I had pretty much the same thought already, although I neither know whether the option exists or whether the game is gonna make enough money in the first place, plus announcing that kind of move would seem like a tasteless attempt at getting publicity or something. Should the game by some freak accident make a serious amount of money I'd definitely see whether I could use it in such a manner, though.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.
Yeah, maybe the best thing to do is keep quiet about it. Maybe a lot of people didn't notice and like you said, people might think you are trying to use what happened near South Korea to promote your game if aren't quiet about it. So the safest option is to be silent about it, I think.
Post edited May 01, 2014 by monkeydelarge
Got into the bus today and got a ticket for kids...I'm 21. Got to work and was sent to a new area. They saw me and told me i'm too young to be there...again, i'm 21! I also had this problem when i first went to my temp agency. "Are you looking for someone?" Me: "I'm here for the interview at *time*. "Sorry but you have to be at least 18 years old to work for us". I feel like i have to glue my ID-card onto my forehead.