But just that AlKim doesn't feel too bad, I am having some kind of Windows (7) problems at the moment on certain PC. Story so far:
- Someone wanted to try playing Minecraft on a different PC, as it kept crashing on another. So I decided to check the other PC, remove any old Minecraft saves from it before moving the Minecraft from the other PC.
- I recalled Minecraft hides the save games to some stupid place, like C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft/... I never understood why some freaking save games need to be hidden from the user?
- Since I didn't see any AppData folder under <username>, I figured I must change some Explorer setting so that it shows also hidden folders. I check Explorer options, see the "Hidden" box, so I click it and click ok.
- Apparently that was not a good idea, I didn't fully think it through as my intention was not really to change any "Hidden" flags. What happens next though is that all my icons from the desktop have disappeared, and I don't find the C:/Users/ folder at all anymore. FJUUUUUUU...
- Ok, calming down. Just revert back to some earlier restoration point? Yep, there are some, even from the same day, so I select one and let Windows restore it. After reboot: nice, everything seems to be back in order. But after awhile I start seeing that they are not, e.g.:
1. TeraCopy doesn't work anymore. For some reason it always try to copy or move the same file I moved several days ago, no matter which file I am actually trying to copy. Uninstalling and reinstalling TeraCopy doesn't fix it, but after I deleted anything with the name "TeraCopy" from both registery and from under C:/Users/ (those damn hidden folders!!!), reinstallation fixed it.
2. Firefox didn't work anymore, it would always complain Firefox is already running. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix it at first, but it got fixed on a second try when I told the uninstallation script to wipe out everything, including my bookmarks :(. Before that I tried to back up my Firefox bookmarks manually, but naturally I didn't find them anywhere, even with my google-fu. Why are the bookmarks hidden? I recall it used to be quite easy it was to backup years ago.
3. I couldn't install Java, it would complain about not having permission to do that and stuff. Google found a fix for that, again I just needed to delete a certain hidden "Sun" folder under the Users-folder.
I am wondering how many other hidden surprises there are now, after that stupid restoration? Maybe I should reinstall the whole Windows 7. What I've learned so far:
- The more Microsoft and the software developers try to make Windows easier to use, the harder it becomes to maintain if something goes wrong. Save games deep inside a hidden directory structure? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? Why are save games supposed to be hidden from the user? Or why are TeraCopy and Java leaving shit inside Users-folder, which makes it impossible to re-install them after a system restoration?
- Restoring Windows from an earlier System Restoration Point may still leave your system quite broken, which you then have to try to fix manually, one by one when your applications refuse to work.
Post edited September 21, 2013 by timppu