It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Another sauna-etiquette problem, I think I've complained before too maybe even about a similar issue. I'm rambling, so bear with me:

Ok, so I was swimming today again. I went to the sauna, and there was this young athletic (Finnish) guy there, probably around 20 years old, and an older Somali man with his son. As is customary here, me and that guy were not wearing any swimming suit in the sauna, while the somalis were, probably being shy of being naked.

As soon as I sit down, the guy starts complaining to the Somali father something along the lines in loud voice (both speaking in Finnish):

"You know, you shouldn't be wearing your swim trousers in the sauna. Wearing them in sauna makes the bacteria on your skin grow faster, and it's very bad for your skin and all, you know? I hope you understand what I'm telling you."

The Somali father replied with something like (in Finnish): "Yeah, ok, I understand", trying to de-escalate the potential argument.

Ok, so the Finnish guy had sort of a point, there's a sign outside the sauna that you should leave your swimming suit outside the sauna, so one should do that (we Finns love rules, and expect everyone to abide). But his argument was total bs. It has fecking nothing to do with skin bacteria. The reason for the rule is that the swimming suit may contain chlorine, which evaporates from the swimming suit to the air, and some people are quite sensitive to it.

That's why it isn't even enough that you just take the swimming suit out and bring it into the sauna, you should actually leave it completely outside the sauna.

So when you are lecturing someone in front of his son, please fecking know what you are talking about first, ok?

Anyway, I decided not to say anything at that point, the guy was so puffed up mentally, I let it flow past. After awhile the Somali father and son left the sauna, and some older gentleman comes in to sit beside me.

This earlier complainer guy, who sits nearest to the sauna stove (heater), starts throwing water on the stove to get more steam. The problem is that he started throwing it like there is no tomorrow, without asking us others. Like four big scoops of water at a time, when normally 1-2 should be enough. And quite often too. At least he should have realized that when you throw water on the stove, the steam first rushes to the other side of the sauna room (= me and the old gentleman beside me), and only then goes back milder to him who is throwing the water near the stove.

After awhile, skin burning red, I decide to leave the sauna, and I make a snide remark in loud voice: "I fucking didn't realize this was some sauna contest.". The old gentleman beside me says "Starts to feel like that to me too.", and left with me at the same time. The young guy seemed dumbfounded as we left him alone in the sauna.

Too bad I didn't lecture him earlier about why exactly the swim suit should be left outside the sauna, he appeared to be a dickhead who should have deserved all the humiliation he can get. Now that I think of it, maybe I should have blocked the door to the sauna from outside when I left, or something.
Post edited May 04, 2013 by timppu
Adzeth: I've been trying to come up with the best way to complain about my allergies for a few hours now. I haven't had anything else to do since the allergies are making me feel less-than-great. Here's the best one I could come up with:

:'<
AlKim: What sort of medication have you got? I recently dumped the old cetirizine and bought a packet of ebastine instead, and though it's probably too early to say for sure, it seems to be working a hell of a lot better.
My latest antihistamines are of that ebastine variety. I also have some more potent prescription stuff that I left home (because I'm dumb). I'm going to return home later today and then I'll start taking those meds with me everywhere I go (again. longer periods without allergy trouble tend to make one lose sight of its importance).
Double post whatever, this is too bizarre and stupid.

I just returned home, and while waiting for the elevator, I looked around and saw a letter for me as the topmost thing in the junk mail box. So, apparently my room mate has been writing "Moved away" on my mail and taking it to the junk mail box. What is up with that...
Not only did Amazon decide that "will be shipped on day of release" still holds even if they decide to ship over a week later... no now another game I bought on Steam (SW: Empire at War) just can't be started because Steam is missing valid keys. So both shops expect me to pay up front and just deal with however they decide to treat me.

I just don't understand why GoG never managed to get a piece of the Star Wars cake. Empire at War and Jedi Knight would fit here greatly. I would rather own them DRM-free instead of some software leasing stuff where one gets told "Sorry no more keys available".
itti: Not only did Amazon decide that "will be shipped on day of release" still holds even if they decide to ship over a week later... no now another game I bought on Steam (SW: Empire at War) just can't be started because Steam is missing valid keys. So both shops expect me to pay up front and just deal with however they decide to treat me.

I just don't understand why GoG never managed to get a piece of the Star Wars cake. Empire at War and Jedi Knight would fit here greatly. I would rather own them DRM-free instead of some software leasing stuff where one gets told "Sorry no more keys available".
NOW THAT SUCKS! YOU WIN HANDS DOWN.
If I was not allowed Star Wars EoW I seriously think I would go postal, no shit.
Oh and Lucas Arts/Disney is the problem with getting Star Wars here. There are 50 + threads on it if you search.
In one seven day period:

- A girl double parked behind me directly in my drivers side blind spot, and when I went to back out, I scratched her back bumper. I had accident forgiveness, but her estimate was only $600, so I agreed to pay it as opposed to going through insurance, as the forgiveness "token" is worth more IMHO. It hurt my wallet hard, and depressed me a lot. I have had terrible money management skills in the past, and this last year I have turned my life around and built up 2 months of savings (as reccommended by most experts) in cash. Having to pay this woman out hurt me more than I can express. I know it was the right thing to do, and I know I was stupid for not checking better before backing out, but it feels so violating to have worked my ass off to save up some money, only to bleed it out for an inconsiderate snot who was too lazy to park in the 3 empty spaces 10 feet farther away.

- I bring my car in for servicing to the dealership for a free detailing I was owed due to their continual incompetance in past servicings. I agree to pay the $155 service fee for a thorough inspection/oil change, plus I am out of pocket for $35/day rental for at least 3 days, and I get a call that I need a new muffler, link tube, and control arm. My car is just out of warranty, and is only coming in this late because they didn't have a detailer on staff to live up to their promise 6 months ago.

I call the service manager up, and she is non-comittal about having the work, which is all warrantable, done under warranty. Total cost: $900.

So in the span of 7 days, I am out $600 out of pocket, and now, if she can't get me at least a 2/3's break on the repairs, which I need to have done, I am going to have to sell a lot of my possessions to pay for this. $1500 in 7 days. *sigh*. Things come in threes too........
anjohl: Having to pay this woman out hurt me more than I can express.
I know how you feel but if you look at it another way, if you hadn't decided to start saving up money, how much worse would it have been financially to put up $600 with no savings?

I started putting money into a savings account about a year ago. A couple times it has gone down to zero cause of unexpected circumstances, but if I didn't have the stash of money, I would have been screwed.

I have a bitch:

The company I work for was bought by an investment firm a few months ago and this firm also bought one of our competitors. They decided to merge the two companies. I was on track for a promotion but with the merger, there is a freeze on promotions and new hires. It also feels more like a takeover as the other company is twice as big. All our execs are now reporting to their execs, all their systems and software will be used, they are keeping nothing from our company except a training website. The other company pays their employees less and makes them contribute more to health insurance. We do not know how our salaries and benefits will be affected yet. Basically the future is one big question mark. I'll probably start looking for a new job after the summer.
Post edited May 06, 2013 by CrowTRobo
anjohl: Having to pay this woman out hurt me more than I can express.
CrowTRobo: I know how you feel but if you look at it another way, if you hadn't decided to start saving up money, how much worse would it have been financially to put up $600 with no savings?

I started putting money into a savings account about a year ago. A couple times it has gone down to zero cause of unexpected circumstances, but if I didn't have the stash of money, I would have been screwed.
I know, I thought about that myself. I am a coin collector, and I was lucky enough to not have to sell my coin collection, which would be crippling, so as you said, at least I had the savings.
The West Coast! Fuck em! Making me stay up till 10:30 just to see the start of a playoff game. Can't wait until the San Andreas finally goes critical and puts all of those assholes into the Pacific Ocean!
Post edited May 06, 2013 by tinyE
nearly 20 (on the 11th), have accomplished nothing in my life.

here's to yet another year of doing nothing.
WarbossAohd: nearly 20 (on the 11th), have accomplished nothing in my life.

I'm 37, neither have I.

I'm deeply curious exactly what you think you would have or could have done by the time you're 20. Do you personally know anyone, or know anyone who knows anyone, who's done something special by then?

Hell, if you're not failing out of university or addicted to drugs by then you're ahead of the pack.

tinyE: I'm 37, neither have I.
Don't you have like some motel with your parents, so you'll already have a set career what you'll do with your life, in case nothing else comes up? I'd love to be a head of a motel! (I'm not going to mention any Psycho jokes here...)

I agree with Orcish though. 20 is nothing. I do recall I had a similar "I haven't really done anything with my life!"-crisis when I was 23, but I guess that was a wake-up call for me too because one year later from that I met my future ex-wife, and two years later I got to start my professional career where I'm still at (and happy about it too).

I'm kinda sad though that all my friends seem to have big houses and such that they have even built themselves ("building your own house for your family" seems to be some kind of Finnish fetish, every man is supposed to do it to become a real man), while I still own a tiny apartment where only university students would live, which I even share with my gf. All my neighbors are either some students renting their small flats, or some elderly people living alone (my nearest neighbor died in his apartment a couple of months ago, alone. That freaked out my gf for some reason.). Oh well, at least I have a roof on top of my head.
Post edited May 07, 2013 by timppu
tinyE: I'm 37, neither have I.
timppu: Don't you have like some motel with your parents, so you'll already have a set career what you'll do with your life, in case nothing else comes up? I'd love to be a head of a motel! (I'm not going to mention any Psycho jokes here...)
You're right.
Jesus, sometimes I can be such an asshole. And all Psycho jokes are welcome; the more crude the better. :D
tinyE: Jesus, sometimes I can be such an asshole.
At least in this case you didn't come across like that. or...?