It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

makr3la: F5 for save and F9 for load.
GameRager: You two are madmen...MADMEN I tell ya! 0.o
I use this combination because of the reason stated by tinyE. There is "space" on keyboard before F5 and F9 and I aiming on it, then I put the button on the right ;-)
GameRager: You two are madmen...MADMEN I tell ya! 0.o
makr3la: I use this combination because of the reason stated by tinyE. There is "space" on keyboard before F5 and F9 and I aiming on it, then I put the button on the right ;-)
0.o
GameRager: 0.o
Hahaha, good one :D
itti: Why is "not wanting to be alone" a feeling that is socially accepted but "wanting to be alone" is something society as a whole has to fight to death? I'm honest: I care for myself more than I care for other people. Does this make me an asshole? Maybe... I'm fine with this (I guess).

I have a few days off due to this Easter stuff. So my first reaction was to think "Yey, gaming nonstop!". But no this is not what has been planned for me. The first free hours opened up with an argument with my girl friend about inviting my parents over. I explained to her that I just lack the social skills to assess whether it may be necessary to invite them. She went like "If you don't want to, neither do I!". That left me with a feeling of having hurt the feelings of my parents equally to hers. Great...

Now it took me like ~30 hours to muster the courage to just go on with my orignal plan and fire up BG2. I can't really focus on the game though as I'm feeling like a slacker for not "functioning" like expected. It doesn't help that she taunts me for "playing games" when she does the house work. It's not that I do nothing around here. I do my few minor tasks apart from serving as our main source of income (did I mention that I usually work around 10-12 hours a day?). It's just that I wish I could have a few days of sacrificing socially accepted norms to just enjoy life a little with games and movies and stuff. But no she has to call me "lazy". I don't feel lazy. This really hurts.
tinyE: Now I'm really pissed, and it's your girlfriends fault! What the hell is "norm" and "expected"!? I am painfully alone and I moan about it all the time in here, and as much as I would love someone to share my life with, even I have my limitations. If I'm with a girl and she tells me I need to start acting normal she better be refering to BREATHING. And what the hell does "socially accepted" mean!? In certain parts of the world beating and raping your girlfriend/wife is considered socially accepted!

Next time you see her and she tells you to start acting normal and socially acceptable tell her to normally and socially acceptably kiss your ass!

AND YOU ARE NOT LAZY! My uncle hasn't worked 12 hours in 78 goddamn years, HE'S LAZY! Tell her to hang around with that gelatenous piece of shit for ten mintues and she'll see how lazy you are!
I like your attitude. You, sir, really cheered me up this time. Thank you for this.
makr3la: Why there is always diffrent key bindings for quick save/load? This should be standardized!
GameRager: I like f5 for save and f8 or load...what about you? :D
We old school hipsters really had it going with F6 and F9 (I think at least jedi knight used this). For some reason someone brought this nasty F5 thing into the game and it stuck. Now every time I hit F6 followed by F5 to be sure. This especially sucks in games where F6 is quickload. ;)

More important in the land of old school gaming is the essential shortcut of ALT+X though. Really I think a lot of games just counted on you knowing about ALT+X (or reading the manual).
Post edited March 30, 2013 by itti
I'm glad when games offer up the chance to re-map the keys....now every game can have the same quick save/load buttons(well every game with remappable keys, anyways.). :D
*AHEM*
We old school hipsters wait till we die in game, write down the 24 digit continue code, have a break, go back, type code in, realize that we missed 1 of the 24 digits and have to start over, tell everyone we never liked the game to begin with, go play Tetris.
tinyE: *AHEM*
We old school hipsters wait till we die in game, write down the 24 digit continue code, have a break, go back, type code in, realize that we missed 1 of the 24 digits and have to start over, tell everyone we never liked the game to begin with, go play Tetris.
Respect.....heck, I can't stand any game that doesn't offer me at least a quicksave option(I usually play mostly games with quicksave/manual save function built in.).
tinyE: *AHEM*
GameRager: Respect.....heck, I can't stand any game that doesn't offer me at least a quicksave option(I usually play mostly games with quicksave/manual save function built in.).
I'm getting old. :D In my day we played Metroid, Metal Gear, and Zelda and they had no quicksave. And that's the way we liked it!
tinyE: I'm getting old. :D In my day we played Metroid, Metal Gear, and Zelda and they had no quicksave. And that's the way we liked it!
I'm guessing if there were games with quicksave back then that the whole "password save system" would've been seen as less than ideal. :p

;)
(Also on a related note: Thank the gods for emulators and their save anywhere functions. *bows*)

(Addition: For some reason your replies keep getting broken.....usually the quote you're quoting is missing the body text and the (/quote) tag. When I reply to other people if the post i'm replying to has more than 1 quote within it the earliest quote doesn't show when I go to reply to it.)
itti: ...
You should tell her to go to the kitchen while you play games.

You will then be able to play games for eternity.
itti: ...
Fenixp: You should tell her to go to the kitchen while you play games.

You will then be able to play games for eternity.
That beats my answer.
First thing:
Girlfriend and time alone problem:

Most of it has already been said, but she wanted to be your girlfriend the way you are. She didn't want some sycophantic "Muttersöhnchen" with an oedipal complex wanting to spend the rest of your -would be pathetic- life with your parents.
She wanted a lone wolf character with the strength to resist the urge of civiliation and socalisation.
Someone to be able to withstand the hordes of undead without getting mad, should the Zombie Apocalypse finally bring salvation to all of us.
Some like you, me and all the others who need their "me time" every once or twice in a while.
Considering how few "lone wolves" we are, she should be happy that she is allowed to bask in your presence, she actually should encourage you in doing what you do. Like giving you head while you play BG2 for example.

itti: [...]
We old school hipsters really had it going with F6 and F9 (I think at least jedi knight used this). For some reason someone brought this nasty F5 thing into the game and it stuck. Now every time I hit F6 followed by F5 to be sure. This especially sucks in games where F6 is quickload. ;)

More important in the land of old school gaming is the essential shortcut of ALT+X though. Really I think a lot of games just counted on you knowing about ALT+X (or reading the manual).
Is it a regional (or national thing)????
As I would swear that F6 and F9 are the most natural choice for quicksave and reload option.
Post edited March 30, 2013 by Khadgar42
tinyE: I'm getting old. :D In my day we played Metroid, Metal Gear, and Zelda and they had no quicksave. And that's the way we liked it!
Hey yo old man... My memory may do me a disservice but I think Zelda was the first cartridge to feature battery powered save games (no quick saves though). It told you to hit power + reset to "save the game" after each dungeon or so. Metroid had the password system you described. Can't talk about Metal Gear as this did never turn up in realm of PAL.

Regarding nefarious password systems I remember a particular Ninja Turtles title for the Game Boy. This game was difficult as hell and the passwords it gave at the game over screen were far to complex to quickly remember. Of course after a few seconds the screen went back to the main menu.
Post edited March 31, 2013 by itti
itti: I have a few days off due to this Easter stuff. So my first reaction was to think "Yey, gaming nonstop!". But no this is not what has been planned for me. The first free hours opened up with an argument with my girl friend about inviting my parents over. I explained to her that I just lack the social skills to assess whether it may be necessary to invite them. She went like "If you don't want to, neither do I!". That left me with a feeling of having hurt the feelings of my parents equally to hers. Great...
I was first going to lecture you about denying her from inviting her parents visit you/her over Easter... but then I noticed it was about _your_ parents. :) Anyway, would that just been normal visit, or would they have stayed at your home for many days?

In a relationship, I've already stopped hoping for non-stop gaming for more than a few hours at a time, and even that mostly after my SO has went to sleep. At least she is fine with that, some don't like it even then. I guess Friday would have been good time for me gamingwise, but my SO asked if we could go to see another couple 60km from us that day. I said ok fine, so much for my gaming then. We spent there like 8 hours, ate and talked shit. It is mostly her friends, but I get along fine with then (and the husband, even though he is not a gamer).

Then again, when we got back home, I expected that my SO gives me no trouble into staying up late with the computer, which she didn't. I felt we both got what we wanted and in the end both were happy.

About dividing house work: does your gf work too daytime, or is she a "housewife"? I think it helps if you still do some things without much asking.

Ridiculing me over me liking "video games" is something where I have pretty low tolerance though. I've given up some relationships pretty early for that, as to me it tells quite a lot about the other person overall if he/she feels obliged to ridicule someone with whom she is supposed to be in a relationship over something he likes. To me, it is the same if I called her fat or ugly, "just in jest of course".

My SO sometimes does say I am "crazy over games", but since she still seems quite cool about them overall and even likes to watch them sometimes, it's all fine.

Anyway, such bitchings may come from just the other feeling neglected and not getting something from the relationship he/she wants. Some people may just be incompatible and want different things from a relationship.
Post edited March 31, 2013 by timppu
itti: Hey yo old man... My memory may do me a disservice but I think Zelda was the first cartridge to feature battery powered save games (no quick saves though).
Very good; you are right. In fact I recently saw an article about how those batteries had a rather limited lifespan thus if you dig out your old NES and Zelda cartridge and expect to find your game progress waiting for you, tough shit. :P